FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoping with unsettled baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coping with unsettled baby
    Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:17pm

Edited by DebandKaelen
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:40pm
What helps me cope?

1)knowing others are going through the same thing

2)their smiles

3)looking at them when they are FINALLY asleep!

I'm going through one of those times right now. I'm exhausted and DH is away at a conference.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:42pm
Do you have a front pack? Maybe he's just wanting to be close to you during the day?

If you are exhausted, maybe climb into bed together one day, and see if you can feed him that way.

Do you go out walking much? That might be another way to get him to sleep.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:53pm
The thing that helped me was getting out of the house. There may be a coffee group r something through plunket, or parent centre. If u phone up there may even be someone in your area willing to pick u up.

If he doesnt sleep in the day and grizzles a lot, maybe his reflux isnt actually as in control as it could be? Maybe you could get him checked out by Paed or Dr again. Once isla was finally diagnosed and on the right combo of meds, she was like a different baby! Most of the grizzling etc stopped. She was no longer miserable, and didint have a permanant grimace anymore! Even my coffee group were amazed what a happy and socila little thing she was once she was no longer in pain!
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:19pm
Bella wont sleep during the day and I worked it out that she dosnt want to be away from me. I use a sling sometimes, we lie down together, I let her watch me do things while she is in her rocker(which she will sleep in during the day!) and if I am fed up I will go for a walk or drive which usually puts he to sleep or at least keeps her occupied. Doing these things has kept me sane as I have a much happier baby.
Hope this helps!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:42pm
I used a front pack for a while there but also a rocker, I used to put her on the bench with me while I was cooking dinner etc. Also, I got an awesome playgym thing that had its own legs and I would put her in her rocker with that in front of her, not lying down but sitting up playing with the toys. That used to keep her amused for ages. Does he have a jolly jumper? He might be able to use that - anything to entertain really!

And I also found walking helped. The fresh air and movement and she was out like a light!

pekemoemum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekemoemum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:03pm
Oh hugs Venus...
totally understand where you're coming from both my boys have had reflux (dairy issues) and my first born was a misery guts basically till he was 9months (so was I!!!)
I agree with the other ladies.. walks were GREAT (especially with the weather being nice), catching up on sleep at any opportunity, utilising family (if you get a chance to) and maybe joining a coffee group.. but also chatting with a group on here (e.g. find a group of mums with babies born around the same time and you can chat daily!!!)
I also think that if you get really low it's totally worthwhile talking to your doc/GP about it.. I wish I had got more support in the early weeksn/months with my boys as I think their reflux/dairy issues and how miserable they were exacerbated everything and then breastfeeding fell to bits for me! I also think with refluxy babies it's alot more common to develop post natal depression.
Anyway HUGE hugs, you're welcome to PM me for a chat or a laugh anytime! :)
xxx
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:08pm

Do you have a plunket family centre in your area? They are great you can go along for the day and just get some help/time out, you don't need a specific reason for going but you could ask them for help with feeding/sleeping or just use it for some time out.
Definitely come on here and have a look at the allergies/reflux section, you will get tons of help from lots of people who are in or have been in your situation.
I would also look to join a coffee group, my ante natal coffee group has been great, and I have made great friends with one lady who I meet up with 2-3 times a week, we have totally kept each other sane.
Getting out for a walk is great as well, you will be amazed how different you feel for just leaving the house, and being in the pram normally helps them go off to sleep as well.

Post Reply Post Reply