FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSide effects of fluoxetine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side effects of fluoxetine
    Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:44pm
I'm going to the doc's today cos I just can't handle the migraines anymore. I went off my migraine meds when we were TTC (was taking 3 a day) and I've been fine until now when I've started fluox. It's just constant and I really struggle being a good mummy when all I want to do is sleep to get rid of the pain.

Plus I've had an upset tummy (which could be my IBS coming back as it disappeared during pg but it all seems a bit too much of a coincidence).

What other side effects are there? I'm trying to decide if what I'm feeling is normal mummy tiredness etc or if its a side-effect of the drugs. TIA
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 2:09pm

I've been on it for nearly 6 months and i've had no problems with it. I love it, as it has done so much good stuff for me.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 3:00pm
I am also on it and the only side effect is that I am more regular - go figure! Out of all of them, its worked really well for me.

But with any meds, its not always the same for everyone. I would def talk to your doctor and see how you get on

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 5:54pm

My friend reacted to fluox really bad and was getting hot flushes and really bad flatulance. I was on fluox for over 5 years and have found no problems. May warrant a trip to the gp to see if it is the fluox causing it or just the old migrainges you used to suffer before are back to create havoc with you.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 6:48pm
I was takne off fluox because it increased the panic attacks and I got very bad indegestion but used losec to fix that
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:47pm
I've been on and off it for 8 years now, and for the first couple of weeks I'm incredibly tired. Then I come right. I get horrendous migraines too, but I blame the pill and AF for that.

What dose are you on?
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 11:18pm
Don't know the dose, but its just one a day. (Don't have pack with me and not disturbing sleeping baby in the other room! )

Doc has put me back on my old migraine meds, start taking 1 a day and build up to 3 if they don't go away. *Sigh* I was hoping my pill-popping days were over (used to take about 12 pills a day for various things and managed to cut them all out while pg). He said its probably the old migraine thing plus being on fluox plus my body adjusting to motherhood. On the upside, he's glad I'm doing well and is even happier that I'm not b/f as he was worried how I'd cope because apparently the hormones while b/f can react with anti-d's. So with any luck I'll be off these drugs in about 3-4 months. I feel great so I guess that's one good thing. Just taken the edge off I think and stopped me slipping into my normal depression cycle.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 8:47am
You must be on 10mg! Which is pretty good, I'm on 20mg! Two a day everyday until such time as I get my head back together.

What migraine tabs are you on?
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 9:50am

Im on 20mgs and its only one tab per day. You can get different strength tabs depending on what is prescribled as well as there are capsules or tablets.

*edited for awful spelling*

Edited by Kels

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 9:55am

I'm on 20mg a day and thats only 1 capsule a day. My green and purple pills they are referred to

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 2:40pm
I was prescribed fluoxetine this week, have had 3 doses so far and feeling the side effects already .... am only on 10mg too until after a week then go up to the 20mg capsules (luckily my lovely GP is easing me into it).

There's a whole range of side effects including somnolence (sleepiness) or insomnia, nervousness, transient headaches, weight changes (usually loss), sweating, nausea, diarrhoea, dry mouth, increased appetite. There are a raft of other ones that are more uncommon as well. It's handy having my own copy of the New Ethicals which is what GPs use to look drugs up in!

After 1 dose I felt a bit sleepy and had an afternoon nap, yesterday after 2 doses I yawned and yawned through a coffee group and felt tired, I am about to go see if I can have a nap now since DH is home if Ruby wakes up. I feel pretty dopey and almost like I am in a daydream. I also have a slight headache.

Interestingly I've been on amitriptylline and citalopram for depression in the past and they didn't really do anything to me at all. Am hoping it'll get better as my body adjusts, the GP put me on this instead of citalopram as Prozac is what the maternal mental health people prescribe.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 2:43pm
Do you take it morning or night? im on the same thing and my doctor said if it makes me sleepy then take it at night but if it keeps me awake take it in the morning. I havent noticed it makes me any sleepier than I am normally so just take it in the morning but I know my friend prefers to take it at night
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 3:54pm
I take it at 9pm since that was when I was taking the pill so do it all at once with an alarm on my phone to remind me (need a time when Ruby is fast asleep).

I have been weaning her, she is pretty sleepy today so I think it's gone through to her (the New Ethicals says a precaution is breastfeeding, GP says it's safe though). But am not feeding her today (was only feeding once a day in morning) to see if I can dry up totally as I don't want anything going to her plus my milk supply was crap
 Post Reply Post Reply