FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDid you wait?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did you wait?
    Posted: 18 March 2008 at 6:12pm
Did you start trying straight away or did you wait? What were you reasons either way?
If you started trying straight away and got pregnant straight away do you think you coped with it well or did the miscarrige hit you whilst pregnant? In hindsight do you think it would have been better to wait?

If you waited do you think in hindsight you would have been better off or the same trying straight away or did waiting help with anxiety during the next pregnancy?

I keep changing my mind between taking a break and trying straight away, so just curious as to what others did.

(don't feel like you need to answer this, I understand that its very personal)

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 6:14pm
We have no choice, we must wait 6 months. But i THINK that if we had the choice we would have just got on with it and tried again though I think it would be hard not to worry about it happening again.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Did you start trying straight away or did you wait? What were you reasons either way?
If you started trying straight away and got pregnant straight away do you think you coped with it well or did the miscarrige hit you whilst pregnant? In hindsight do you think it would have been better to wait?

If you waited do you think in hindsight you would have been better off or the same trying straight away or did waiting help with anxiety during the next pregnancy?

I keep changing my mind between taking a break and trying straight away, so just curious as to what others did.

(don't feel like you need to answer this, I understand that its very personal)

as you know i found out at the 12 week scan and i think for me..that's what made it so bad..i thought i was safe and i wasnt and i had just got used to the idea of becoming a Mum:( we werent allowed to try for three months and in hindsight it was great..as those three months i thought i was ok and i wasnt and would just have been 'replacing' the lost baby. we had to wait as they thought i may have been having a molar pregnancy and that's really serious but it turned out i wasnt ..doc recommended waiting 3 months anyway.

waiting didnt help me i was still worried sick right up until the birth. one minute i was excited about being preg again and the next i was super worried:(!! but I'm naturally a big worrier.. even though i worried a lot during pregnancy the due date of the last baby made me upset and angry but after that it was better..(a little)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 7:14pm
with all my miscarriages we have started ttcing straight away, mainly because i had done my grieving by the time my first af arrived...we never intentionally let one cycle pass but thats the way it has happened for us.

The doctors tell you to wait one cycle purely so they can date the pregnancy.

My thoughts are if you feel ready then go for it, if you dont feel ready then just hold off, you dont need to use any type of protection but just relax and forget about it for a bit, even if its only one cycle

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 7:27pm
Did we wait? Ummm, I had my d and c on 2nd Jan and the gremlins were born in Oct so not too long, about 6 weeks or so

For me (and this is just my experience), getting pregnant again so soon was a bad, bad, bad idea. Bear in mind tho that I have been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of my m/c and subsequent events so my experience is a bit more extreme than normal.

Deciding to TTC again, I thought that the thing that upset me most about the m/c was that it would take forever to get pregnant again, I didn't stop to grieve, I was just obsessed with getting pregnant.

Once I did get pregnant, I became incredibly anxious, couldn't sleep, made myself insane with worry in between scan appts and 2 episodes of bleeding didn't help. I thought the anxiety would settle after 12 weeks, but it only got worse. I became obsessed with the idea that the gremlins were going to die, was so anxious I was bordering on losing the plot completely and even my midwife was worried about my mental health. I'm sure having twins with all the extra risks didn't help, I don't know if I would have had an easier time if I'd had a singleton.

The stress and anxiety of the pregnancy also affected my bonding with the gremlins, I felt nothing for them till they were at least 8 mths. It's been a long process, I got PND and it also flared up a heap of other issues that I had lying dormant but I'm working on those now with MMH and feeling much more positive about this pregnancy and baby.

As I said, my experience is on the extreme side, and I have friends who have fallen pregnant after m/c and not had too many problems at all, I think it all depends so much on your own personal circumstances, how you feel about your m/c, whether you tend towards anxiety generally (which I definitely do) and how much support you have around you.

Best of luck with your decision, and I can highly recommend Life After Baby Loss by Nicola Miller-Clendon as a great starting point for anyone considering TTC after loss, it's a NZ-based, down to earth look at life after baby loss written by a midwife who has experienced loss herself. I just wish I had read it before I got pregnant with the gremlins, when I read it later it made so much sense, and made me feel so normal about how I felt.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 7:47pm
I second reading that book - Emma leant it to me and it was awesome.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:03pm
Thanks guys, have just ordered that book.

I feel a bit annoyed at my body, it just got rid of the baby and now is ovulating away (have bad ovulation pains so always know when its happening) like nothing happened wish it would show some consideration to my feelings.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:12pm
Hugs!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Vanillabean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanillabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:50pm
I tried straight away after a mc in Jan and I never considered anything else. I was desparately hoping I would get pregnant again straight away. The thing was I didn't and that was really hard to deal with. But I think that for me it would have been just as emotionally painful not to try. I have noticed that for this cycle (the second after the mc) I am in quite a bit better state of mind, than I was last cycle and I can see how it would be helpful to wait.
5x mc, Jan 08, June 08, Nov 08, May 09, April 11

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 9:40pm
LOL @ the Ov pains!
I found over the first week of the m/c my hormones plunged and I felt miserable. But after I recovered from that I was ready to try again. My dr knew I had m/c but didn't advise me either way (and I didn't think to ask) so I think the general rule is that it is fine to try again right away. As it was, my system wasn't quite ready so I did have one more AF in between m/c and next pg.

My SIL was pg 4 weeks after her m/c though! And her pg had been slightly later than mine (6-8 weeks instead of 4). So all to the individual (couple )

btw I didn't feel like I was replacing the m/c baby, I definitely grieved the first baby in stages. I did worry at every odd twinge but I think that's normal, regardless of time spacing.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 9:44pm
Yeah the doc said it was fine to try straight away if we wanted to. Just don't know whether I want to or not, which I suppose answers my question really because if i'm not sure then I should wait.
Think at the moment I will at least wait until next cycle and in the meantime read the book that Emma recommended as they will hopefully help me deal with my emotions.
DH is easier he is ready anytime

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2008 at 3:03pm
Bump...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2008 at 10:28pm

This is a great question cuppatea, thanks for bringing it up!

I've been asking myself this very thing since my m/c a week ago. My mind wants to try but I'm not sure if my heart is quite into it yet.  I don't generally ov till a little later in my cycle anyway so have a bit of time to think about it. Dr told us to start asap...when we were ready that is. No need to wait. DP is keen whenever I am but the whole m/c thing has put me off to be honest and much as I love the dream of being pg and having a family, I do wonder if it's meant to be with us. I'm not overly clucky. More logical in that I am 34 (today!) and, thinking practically that sooner rather than later at this stage might be a good idea.

Aaargh what we go through!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2008 at 10:39pm
Happy Birthday

I have decided to wait till next cycle, I feel a lot more relaxed knowing that I have a whole month not worrying about it. And by that I mean the stress of trying, the stress of the 2WW and then the added stress of HCG tests and scans that will happen cos of having had a miscarriage. I really don't think I could go through that stress back to back and already feel better knowing that I have a little time off to help me get my head in a better space. (I do know that it probably wouldn't happen the first month but was also worried that I wouldn't cope well with a BFN).
DH is happy to do whatever I want

Even at 34 i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to take a cycle or 2 off if you think that would help.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 9:03am

Thanks for the birthday wishes

It was nice to go out for dinner with friends last night and have a couple of gins actually

I'm just gonna take it easy over the next coupla months I think. Just BD when we feel like it rather than actively ttc. If it happens then great and if it doesn't I still have heaps of time up my sleeve.

Good on you cuppatea for waiting a while until you're ready. TTC is such a rollercoaster ride, it's a good idea to be emotionally up for it as much as poss!

Post Reply Post Reply