FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Forcing" breastfeeding... ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 8:24pm
He was doing it for my benefit lol, I'm sure he just *knew* how much extended breastfeeding freaks me out
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 8:31pm

I don't have a problem with extended breastfeeding if it's mutually desired (although psychologically I'm probably conditioned by society to think it's a bit strange to go as far as feeding a kindergartener). I think the "mutual" part is what's missing here. If he wanted to feed and she didn't want him to, I'm sure she'd be doing everything she could to wean him. But he doesn't want to feed and she's trying to force him to -- that's what I think is inappropriate. It's all about her imposing her will on him, which I think is different from teaching or guiding a child to learn something or display a certain behaviour. This is different from forcing him to wear a coat when it's cold outside, or a seatbelt in the car. But I think that she is seeing it on the same level as that kind of situation.

I did send her an email today crying ignorance as I know nothing about breastfeeding beyond 11 months (thanks, Bizzy) and wished her luck with the lactation consultant. Hopefully she'll realise I'm not the person to ask...

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Katherine Katherine wrote:

It's all about her imposing her will on him, which I think is different from teaching or guiding a child to learn something or display a certain behaviour. This is different from forcing him to wear a coat when it's cold outside, or a seatbelt in the car. But I think that she is seeing it on the same level as that kind of situation

My point exactly!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:24pm
If he doesnt want to , he doesnt want to , she shouldn't try and force it .
She should concentrate on the things they can do together as he gets older and instead of mourning the loss of him bf'ing from her focus on the new things they can do together.
How long had she wanted to Bfeed him for?
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:37pm
I am all for extended breastfeeding till whatever age as long as both want to do it. If he doesn't want to feed and is being made to, that is like making kids eat everything on their plate when they are full.
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 12:19am
I agree with miss, I am all for extended breastfeeding too ...hoping to feed up till 2years +! But at any stage where Lucas starts showing signs of self weaning I won't force the issue!

Mum breastfed me until I was of Kindy age ...I was a 'bitty' lover, and it seems Lucas' is following in the footsteps of his mummy!

Mind you, 'tis highly embarrassing when out in public and he decides to pull your top/bra down and flash the poor public ...AND THEN proceeds to rub his face inbetween the girls...not cool!
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 10:29am

Im all for extented  breastfeeding too. But I dont agree with trying to force your 15mth old to keep feeding. I was all prepared to Bfeed Alize till he self weaned but alas I weaned him at 16mths as he was just so addicted to the damn thing it was all he wanted to do when we were together lol. I just didnt have the time to sit and feed him for hours on end when getting home from work and he would scream and hang off my leg for it. He still now tries to get at it but no more screaming and carrying on.

As for co sleeping as long as they are practicing safe co sleeping techniqes and it is working for them I dont see anything wrong with that, sounds like a close family unit.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 11:33am
I'm all for extended breastfeeding too - and wish I could have continued. . But I agree that you shouldn't force it.
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by miss miss wrote:

I am all for extended breastfeeding till whatever age as long as both want to do it. If he doesn't want to feed and is being made to, that is like making kids eat everything on their plate when they are full.
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12