FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat modern cloth nappy has worked best f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:19am
Eppys - I find that hard to believe as I know you can make nappies for around $9.

The fabric may have cost as much as $150 but she will get miles more than 6 nappies out of it.
Sponsored Links

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:51pm
My mum has made nappies for my sister, got all her supplies from Green Beans, and it cost a fraction of the price of buying them ready-made. She made velcro pockets in a newborn size and they only cost her about $5 each!!! In the next size up (small-med) she invested in a stud press so the cost of each nappy went up to around $12 I think, but that's including a mf insert! She has made tons of nappies - I think my sister had around 15-20 newborn and the same amount in small-medium and she said she's spent around $240, but that includes buying the stud press! There's no way you could buy 30-40 nappies for $240.

Vic xx

Edited by kiwivic
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:05pm
Our first ever MCN's were made for us by a friend, it cost me $70 for the fabric which included the PUL, fleece and FOE as the pattern she used had FOE on it, plus a $20 voucher for her to say thank you so the actual nappy materials for my nappies were only $50. That got me 4 nappies and she had enough PUL left off each cut to make her daughter a nappy too, so 6 all up. I've since bought some minky/nylon ones from another friend for $11 each, so definitely cheaper than bought ones.

Haven't seen the Rudey Nudey ones, will have a look, but I also don't think $150 is that cheap for a 6 pack, my Fuzzis cost me less than that (without inserts).
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:52pm
so me paying $88 for material (not including velcro or elastic) for 9-10 nappies is about the right price then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:58pm
Yep. It depends how you cut them though... some people are super cutters and can get a few more naps than others out of fabric.

Apparently it also depends on the pattern. A hip snap/side snap will use less fabric than a front snap.

Greenbeans has good prices. It is just unfortunate that you missed out on their free shipping. They had to put it up a couple of weeks ago with the NZ Post changes - they have tried to counter that by lowering their product prices as much as poss though.

You should also look out on The Nappy Network for co-ops - where lots of people buy in bulk to get cheaper fabric. I know they do PUL co-ops quite a bit. I got mine for $14 per metre.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:43pm
Trust Nikki Chonny, I have no idea! I didn't even know what it took to make nappies, my friend just gave me a list of things to buy
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:46pm
i had a look on TNN but couldn't find anywhere talking bout co-ops. where do you haev tog o for that? my mum is a supoer sewer and i'm pretty good at placing patterns etc to get the most out of material so i would think we'l be able to get plenty out of what i bought. i bought a little extra microfleece to make covers for the pads. i am goign to use my old fashioned nappies as the pads and cover them in the microfleece to draw moisture away from the itty bitty bum. lol. that's right aye? that's how it works? and my old fashioned square nappies should do the trick?

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:25pm
well my material just arrived! it's so cute! ok just plain stuff coz was the cheapest, but looks so nice. mum is going to help me start cutting out the pieces this avo so once i buy the velcro and elastic, we can put them together and i can start using them. yay! i am so excited. what do people think bout velcro vs snaps?

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

well my material just arrived! it's so cute! ok just plain stuff coz was the cheapest, but looks so nice. mum is going to help me start cutting out the pieces this avo so once i buy the velcro and elastic, we can put them together and i can start using them. yay! i am so excited. what do people think bout velcro vs snaps?

Glad your material arrived quickly, hope you have fun making them up!

Velcro vs poppers really does come down to personal preference. I prefer poppers because I hate it when velcro sticks to things in the wash, or it loses it's stickiness, but you'll need access to a stud press if you want to put poppers on your own nappies.

Vic xx
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:03pm
thanks Vic, that's what i thought. as long as i make a habit of doing them up, i think i can live with velcro. at least for now anyways. lol. i have some sticky stuff that i think i will sew on. hoping mum has a bit of elastic so i can at least make up one full nappy today. lol.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:19pm
My only gripe with velcro is when bubbas learn how to rip it off. Daniel has mastered the art of velcro which sucks so much! lol
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:24pm
lol, Vincent knows how to take his disposables off if he wants to, but he doesn't want to, and usually has pants on anyways. so i don't have a problem there i don't think

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:27pm
We only notice it over the warmer times as he only wears a nappy and tshirt. I don't bother with shorts often lol
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:46pm
fair enough. lol. totally understand that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

i bought a little extra microfleece to make covers for the pads. i am goign to use my old fashioned nappies as the pads and cover them in the microfleece to draw moisture away from the itty bitty bum. lol. that's right aye? that's how it works? and my old fashioned square nappies should do the trick?

I would make pocket nappies - wee weka pattern on TNN is a good nap to start with. There is a side snap version which would use less fabric if you want to try that.

I'd make that up with PUL on the outside as waterproof layer and microfleece as the stay dry layer - then you can use your flat nappies inside the pocket and you don't need to cover them with anything.

Otherwise you could make covers and just lay the flat nappies inside the covers in a padshape and just cut the microfleece into liners and lay it on top.

Get me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:50pm
P.S. On TNN the co-ops are under trading post I think - or there might be a special co-op section. There may not be a current one... keep your eye out.
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:36pm
that makes sense nikki! my mum couldn't understand why i would wanna sew it all up together and try to dry 6 layers of cloth nappy. but that makes mroe sense. Altho i may not need to worry and may just put the inners inside the nappy. I have cut out some material for the side snap wee weka nappy. Worked out will get approx 20 nappies of that s-m size from the 2m of PU Nylon i bought! and i have HEAPS of material for inners. If people make the nappies and then put the pads on the inside by the baby's bottom, how do you attatch it to the nappy? My thoughts for putting the pad on the outside of the cover/pocket is then you don't necesarily need to change the entire nappy every time. get what i mean?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:39am
If you are using a flat cloth nappy inside a cover then you don't attach it as such but just make sure the cover is firm enough that it doesn't slide around. I haven't actually used this system so can't comment from experience.

If you do that then you can re-use the cover if it didn't get covered with poo but I would air it between changes - so cycle a couple of covers over the day. Get me?

And as far as pockets, you'll need to change the whole thing each time as the microfleece will get wees on it and it probably isn't nice for a babe to be sitting on damp fleece all day. (No matter how much it wicks - wees is quite acidic )

I followed the photo tutorials when sewing my nap (oh yeah, my one whole nap - I am SUCH a fraud! haha) and they were really easy to follow.

Sounds like you are doing well!
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:06pm
i agree about the pockets, that's why i was wanting to use inners, so i don't have to keep changing the whole nappy unles sit gets soiled. i'll see how i go. i like the idea of making a casing for the folded cloth nappy to sit inside. i like the idea of the microfleece on his little bum. he may b almost two, but it's still precious! lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123