FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBudget recipes and $saving ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 4:13am
Edmonds cookbook has some good/relatively inexpensive ideas for meals. I like the smoked fish recipe in there. It uses a can of smoked fish and has mashed potato on top. It's a good way of getting fish into your diet!

I also like making sausage casseroles, which are
easy to make and don't cost too much.
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 5:36pm
*Bump*
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 6:51pm
With the price of cheese nowadays I buy a 1kg block on special, grate about 2/3 of it and freeze in cup size amounts for cooking.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 9:16am
We're really lucky we don't have to buy meat from the supermarket. We get all our meat off the family farm so an entire beast or mutton at a time goes into the freezer and we're really careful with portion control. It means that at the moment we spend less than $60 a fortnight on groceries.
Ellen thats a great idea to grate and freeze the cheese I've been trying to think of a way to make it last even longer than it does so thats perfect.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:11pm
i have been using the Campbells website recently for recipe ideas.

Espcially from soups. You dont need to use campbells soups you can use any brand.

SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 7:07pm
Just my 2c - DH makes an awesome pasta sauce. You saute onion and garlic slowly, maybe a bit of dried chilli as well, and add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes. Cook slowly with the lid off for about 45 min - 1 hr, until it's all thick and jammy. Then add salt, pepper and herbs. Same idea as Dolmio's but tastes way better and cheaper. You can also make a huge batch and freeze.

Also, I make all my own curry pastes - it takes time, but again worth for the taste and the $$$. I get most of the ingredients, including spices, from an Asian grocer at a fraction of supermarket prices.

Ooh, and muesli - have been playing around with both toasted and plain, won't ever go back to bought stuff.
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 2:55pm
I don't know if this has been said already, but a really yummy recipe is a self crusting quice and it is so easy and really nice! and it can be as cheap as you like depending on what you put in it!

Self-Crusting Quiche
1pkt Ham, 5 Eggs, 3Tbsp Melted Butter, 1&1/2cups Milk, 1/2 cup Flour, salt and pepper, 1cup Grated Cheese. Beat eggs, add melted butter, milk, ham and cheese (and veges etc if using). Stir in sifted flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into greased quiche dish and bake 30mins at 190'c. Another version, try adding onion, spinach and tomato - basically anything you want!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2012 at 1:05pm
Thought this might be a good time to resurrect this thread too. Jazzy you might this interesting.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2012 at 4:36pm
thanks Bizzy
Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 10:37pm
Fabulous Bizzy!
Next time I can't find something I'll just ask you

Glorified Feeder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glorified Feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 10:54pm
I cant reccommend enough making a lovely big batch of "hidden vege sauce" - i think I originally got this recipe from Anabel Karmel's book
- then freezing it in little portions. I always fall back on it as it is super tasty and has so many vege's hidden in there. last night it was couscous, which is cheap and takes minutes to prepare, with the sauce a little tuna flaked in. So healthy, so easy and absolutely easy on the pocket :)

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/children-age-4-10/hidden-vegetable-sauce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123