FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToo harsh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:40pm
As a parent of only 1 child right now (so with no experience in this area yet), I don't think it's harsh at all Emma.. I can't think of any situation in my own family or friends where an older sibling wasn't asked to help out with everyday things relating to the younger ones... what's wrong with teaching some responsibility and consequences?

BS, I know this is not the debate itself, but I have to agree with Deb regarding your comments to Emma. As much as she's asking for opinions on this issue...you take it a bit far in pretty much lecturing/berating her on her parenting skills. To compare, Jaz also thought it was too harsh but her comments didn't come across the same way yours did. It reminded me of another thread where you told her off for being too hard on Willie cause he's such a great hands on father yadda yadda so that's why I feel like saying something this time...

Just food for thought. Not trying to be a sh*t stirrer.
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by pepsi pepsi wrote:

BS, I know this is not the debate itself, but I have to agree with Deb regarding your comments to Emma. As much as she's asking for opinions on this issue...you take it a bit far in pretty much lecturing/berating her on her parenting skills. To compare, Jaz also thought it was too harsh but her comments didn't come across the same way yours did. It reminded me of another thread where you told her off for being too hard on Willie cause he's such a great hands on father yadda yadda so that's why I feel like saying something this time...

Just food for thought. Not trying to be a sh*t stirrer.

well said
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:46pm
ah but you guys are --and it is the same people as always Deb and Pepsi.....

my comments are based on what I have seen of Emma and her family....can only base it on that...and respond to her request for comments...again this is a forum open to discussion pull your heads in and stop attacking me for nothing....I have a right to express myself on here too....and often do where others wont....

funny how Deb YOU especially seem to attack others willy nillie then moan to all and sundry when people do it to you....get over yourselves....this is a web forum...some of us have met IRL and know others to comment and some not....but at least let us have our say too....and dont attack us for it....gosh i wonder why newbies feel they cant make comment on here...we cant all stand around boosting each others egos for the hell of it.

I stand by my comment...I think it was too harsh to expect a five year old to step in and parent the gremlins and then punish her...to answer Emmas original question
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:10pm
I really wasn't trying to sh*t stir... I thought I was being pretty nice actually *shrug*. There are plenty of us who spend time with Emma, and apparently we percieve things differently. It is unsupportive comments like yours which can put off newbies, not the words of others being defensive of their friends.

Oh well. Seems you don't take it as well as you dish it out.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:40pm
What an absurd assumption to think that Emma expects Maya to parent the gremlins!
You obviously do not know Emma at all to make a comment like that!

I agree 100% that this is an open forum and that you are entitled to answer a post with your opinion - BUT, when your comment is so jaded and of such an attacking nature, perhaps for the benefit of all you should keep your opinion to yourself! Especially if you don't appreciate that Emma's friends are going to correct you whole heartedly!!!!
Parenting is a hard enough job (regardless how many kids you have) so I think we should leave the personal attacks for offline mutterings under our breaths and give a bit of support.

And now to answer Emma's original question.
No, not harsh at all. Maya made a decision that what she saw was wrong and she chose to tell you, you gave a simple instruction which she choose to disregard - that should be punished. Each child responds differently to a method of punishment and if holding back on the pocket money is what works with Maya, then so be it!
I also think that once you have made a statement like that about a punishment you MUST uphold that or else the child will learn very quickly that you back down and will try it again at every opportunity and then the wipe fiasco will be the least of your worries!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:01pm
out of curiosity emma,what did you deicde to do after all that?
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:31pm
I do not feel it is too harsh, you have worked with Maya for 5 years now and the parenting style works for you.

As for the rest of you, I feel when asked for an opinion in a situation you should comment on that not throw a personal sl*g at the person placing the question.
The fact that some of you are great friends is irrevelant steady on and show some heart.

I love and admire some of you...and as for some well you just don't deserve the breath

Edited by Shorty
marielb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marielb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:55pm
I don't feel you were harsh Emma.

Sometimes too, we make decisions on the spot and then regret it later (not saying thats the case in this situation) but thats life and thats being a parent!

I'm interested to know what you did afterall too. Did you just leave it?
Isaac is 6, Ethan is 4, Rico is 2 and Hunter is almost 1!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

out of curiosity emma,what did you deicde to do after all that?

I stuck by what I said. Regardless of whether it was too harsh or not I'm a big believer in consistency and sticking to what I say, otherwise they learn really quickly that they can get away with murder. Plus I talked to my mum and she reckoned it was a fair call, and I trust her judgement...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 8:19am

Fair enough, too.  Good on ya! 

Andie
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 8:28am
Good on you Emma
marielb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marielb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 9:17am
Isaac is 6, Ethan is 4, Rico is 2 and Hunter is almost 1!
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 10:23pm

i dont think it was harsh at all, i often ask my 5yr old to take things off jett or move them, shes not his "other boss" shes his big sister so i feel she should also be setting an example of what is right and wrong as hes going to copy what he sees her doing.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 1:03pm

Emma I don't think you were too harsh at all she told you what the twins were up to and politely told her to put them up high but she made a choice to ignore you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12