FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBirthday Cake help...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birthday Cake help...
    Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:27pm

After seeing your fantastic birthday cakes, I have been inspired to try and make DHs cake myself?!? Yikes!!

I have a couple of questions (that are prob really obvious, but I have never made one before!!!)

Where do I get a cake board - or do you use something else to put the cake on?

Icing - do I just use a simple recipe (like from Edmonds book) and add colour food colouring - or I am better using the block stuff (but how do I colour it?)

How long before the day can I make it - ie is it okay to do it the day before? How do I store it?

I know the design I am going to make - and its fairly simple, a kite shape, so its just about getting the colours right!

Sorry if these are dumb questions - but guess I have to start somewhere!

Sponsored Links

katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:38pm
We have got a big white flat platter that I used to put the cake on. It worked really well. Otherwise I was going to cover a big wooden chopping board with tinfoil.
I made the cake two days before and then iced it the day before.
I used butter icing for mine - the recipe was in the birthday cake book. It was really easy to spread. I have read on here that lots of people say the roll our icing is easy but I wasn't that brave!
A kite cake will be cool! Enjoy!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:40pm
SimSam, i will find a big post on here a while back that has a big speil about the icings and how to colour them and all that.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:42pm
Thanks Janine - any help greatly appreciated!!!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:45pm
Simsam you can get cake boards at Spotlight that you can re-use!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:54pm
it's bumped... it's in the general board... because when i wrote it the fancy pancy subject boards didn't exist yet. lolol. funny to read it.

Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 10:04pm
I just put tin foil over my cake tin bottom for Sam's birthday cake. I couldn't justify $10 for a cake board at spotlight!

I made the cake the day before and iced it the night before the party, although I could have actually done it a few days before.

I made a marshmallow fondant (really easy) and coloured it by putting it in a sandwich bag with a little bit of the gel colour and kneading it until it was all mixed. It was all really easy and tasted yum!!!!

Good on you for giving it a go

Post Reply Post Reply