FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula or Milk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula or Milk
    Posted: 29 September 2008 at 11:28am
Hello!

My wee Gabz is turning 1 on Saturday and this has gotten me thinking about her milk :) Was just reading some guidelines that suggest it is best for babies 12 months and older to have full dark blue top milk rather than fortified toddler milks. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am quite happy to switch - although it is so much easier to use powder and water when on the go!!
Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 11:54am
Toddler milks and formulas are a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money, they don't need them! I would go blue top milk or even soy milk.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 12:33pm
I agree actually. Blue milk or the orange toddler range milk with added calcium and iron. Although when you add up how many feeds a day she is having and how much she is drinking... 3 x 200 ml a day is 4.2lts a week.. it really depends.
Formula is a scary issue these days, but if you dont need to i personally wouldnt use it.
tickers" /></a>
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 12:48pm
Daniel still hasn't been switched to cows milk really yet. We find it cheaper to mostly have him on formula. He sometimes has cows milk at lunch time but we find formula more convenient
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 1:07pm
At home, I find good ol blue top the most convenient thing.  But if we are going out and about the sachets of formula are sometimes better.  Tom is only having milk twice a day (morning and night) so unless we are travelling I havent found the need to take anything with us when we go out.
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 2:01pm
We havent switched Isabella onto milk yet, she is still on formula. I'm not in a hurry because I feel like she's getting what she needs from formula (especially when she is sick and refuses any solid food)
finnigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 1:24pm
Isaac is on formula, we switched him gradually from follow on gold formula (number 2) to toddler gold formula (number 3). He drinks cows milk with his breakfast but we have found formula easier, it easier to take out. He goes through a tin a fortnight so its not that much more expensive than milk.

We did try switching him to cows milk but his reflux & eczema flared up so we put him back on the formula.

He turns 2 in Jan so we will start weaning him off the formula as his need for milk drops.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 10:46am
I used to develop Infant formulas (did the Heinz Toddler formula actually!) and I'd say whatever works best for you. There are more nutrients in toddler formula than normal milk, and we find price-wise its not much different ... so Jake has both, mainly toddler gold but the odd bottle of blue top, especially if he wakes in the night sick and I'm trying to resettle him, or in a madrush. Plus has blue top on cereal. And daycare provide milk free but we have to provide formula, so we're just switching him over there now as obviously its one less thing to pay for. But in saying that a tin lasts him a whole month (at least) at daycare as he only has one/day a few days a week.

Sachets are definitely easier when out. But at home sometimes its easier to just pour it from the bottle. So whatever works for you.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply