FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedConsidering IVF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering IVF
    Posted: 30 September 2008 at 11:34am
Hi there,
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble deciding weather to go ahead with IVF or not. I have several problems which are stopping us from having a baby naturally so IVF is our last hope. I have had a myomectomy to remove fibroids which has left my uterus mis-shapen and enlarged. I also have PCOS with only one ovary functioning. I have been told that our chances for success using IVF are signifigantly reduced so I am torn on weather to put my DH and myself thru this process when we may very likely end up dissappointed.    Is there anyone else who has struggled with the decision to go ahead with treatment, or whos marriage has suffered as a results of the huge emotional toll it takes? Or even if you came thru an unsuccessful cycle of IVF but have a possitive outcome with the marriage dealing just fine. This would be our first and possibly only child, so I feel like I have to take the chance and go against everything I have always believed in.

Edited by Bert
Sponsored Links

ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:30pm
We're looking at funding our own IVF next year and my DH is very keen but I have health issues that could be made worse by IVF, so it's such a hard call to make.   Both the finances and the risks are so hard to consider when there's no guaranteed BFP at the end of it.

Hoping that Ginger on this site doesn't mind me referring to her IVF treatment, but something that she wrote just before commencing has stuck with me. Basically she said that regardless which way things turned out for her and her DH, then at least they know that they tried. For me, I'd hate to look back and know I didn't try and always wonder, which is why I'd rather try IVF with all it's risks and not be successful than be too afraid to try and have to live with the regret.   

When I'm feeling more optimistic, I know that either way for us, child or not, DH and I will have a good life together, so I focus on that as well.
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 4:38pm
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the thought of feeling regret if we don't try does play a big part in the decision making. I am finding that some days I am very negative about the whole prospect and other days I feel pretty positive about it. Are you going thru the same thing?
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 6:05pm
Bert, I agree whole heartedly with what itchyfeet has said. If the regret from never having tried IVF would be bigger than the disappointment from it not working, then you must follow your heart and give it a go. I know this is easy to say when I have had a successful IVF, but we went through the same questions. Yes I think it is quite normal to have your ups and downs prior to undergoing IVF. I think it is part of the minds natural protection - to prepare you if things didn't work out. I often thought that I didn't really want children at all, but I think that was just a protective mechanism.
Good luck with your decision.
Lou
ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 9:56pm
I fluctuate all the time (my poor DH!). We have to wait another month before we find out how likely it is that we'll conceive naturally, but it's not looking hopeful. I've learned to live with that, and have always viewed IVF as our likely back-up plan so I've had some time to get used to the idea. Sometimes I feel very positive and can totally see us holding our child, and other times I wonder if it's worth the risk. I know that if we weren't able to have a child then life would go on, but for us, now that we have come to the realisation that we really want a child of our own, there is no going back. If it never happens for us, then there will be something missing when we never felt that way before (neither of us wanted kids ever, and suddenly both changed our minds). I worry about the outcome both ways, about not having a child, and then what it would be like if we did i.e. how would we cope financially, what if our child had special needs etc? When I express those fears, my DH always quotes to me "we'll just go to Holland then". (link below)

I don't think there's any guarantees, and we always said that we would do whatever it took to have a child. Now that is becoming a reality, we're asking what does that actually mean? How much are we prepared to spend on IVF? How much of my health are we willing to risk? How long and how many times do we keep trying? At what point do we just say "enough", be happy that we've got each other?

Some days I feel that I'd do anything I could to have my own child, and that IVF is just a small price to pay for that. Other times negative thoughts and my fears get to me, but I'm lucky that my DH is with me through thick and thin and I know that if I were to put a stop to the whole thing, then he'd put aside his disappointment and support me. We're both open to going to counselling too if we feel that we're not dealing with this whole process but we're not at that stage yet.

Holland)
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 5:45pm
Slightly off topic here......can anyone please tell me where to find a list of the abbreviations used on this site?
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:06pm
Thanks for your post, Itchy.....I am glad to hear that I am not the only person with a million questions going thru my head. I feel guilty that I am not one of the women that says straight of the bat " I will do whatever it takes to have a baby " . I tend to be a bit more logical in my thinking and try to look at the every angle before I commit to things. The decision really does affect so many different aspects of our lives. And it is so hard to know how you will feel down the track. Best of luck with your health and attempts! I will let you know what we decide to do.
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 8:42am
Well.....last night my DH finally brought up the subject. He really caught me off guard when he said he thought I should just get the inevetiable Hysterectomy now so I don't have to go thru all the problems I am currently dealing with. I can't say I totally disagree with him, but he also said he hasn't really given IVF too much thought. I can kind of understand that being as my current problems are overshadowing the whole baby idea. He says he just wants me to be healthy and happy again, and I love him for that. Unfortunately, things went sour when I did bring up how I thought we still need to consider IVF and all things I have been thinking about surrounding it.    He has been telling me from the start that this is a decision I have to make because I am the one who has to go thru it. I have tried to make sure he is part of the process because I don't want it to me all on my shoulders......but I guess thats the way its going be. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and call Fert+ to make arrangements to start but I am not feeling very possititve about it all today. Maybe I will wait a couple of days before I call as I am still pretty emotional this morning. I have felt very alone thru all of this even tho DH has been as supportive as he could possibly be.   Thank goodness for this site.

Edited by Bert
Mazza70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazza70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 4:43pm
Hi - I went through Fertility Associates and used the counsellors there. Don't know if FertPlus also offers counselling but I'd recommend using it if you can.

Infertility treatment is a difficult thing to go through, and I found it really helpful to talk to a complete stranger who is trained to help you work through all it.

M

Edited by Mazza70
Mazza70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazza70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 2:09pm
Slightly off topic here......can anyone please tell me where to find a list of the abbreviations used on this site?

There is a list of abbreviations for another forum - I guess they'll be the same - in the "Little Treasures" magazine April/May 2008 issue, Pg50.

M
 Post Reply Post Reply