FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAutism & Food

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ladybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autism & Food
    Posted: 20 October 2008 at 6:31pm
Hello

I was just wondering if any one has an autistic child that doesn't stop eating. My little girl just continues to eat and eat and eat and though she is no where near being over weight I'm worried that she will get bigger as she grows older. I'm trying to distract her away from the food but she just seems to need to eat not out of being hungry but out of something else, not sure if it's ritual behavior or something else. So thought I'd just ask to see if anyone else has this with there autistic one :)
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 12:10am
my nephew is autistic and does the same, he is contstantly cruising the kitchen for food. my mum actually had to hide the bananas because he would find them and eat a whole bunch in a sitting... not good having quite that much potassium. She had to spoon feed him up until a late age too as he'd otherwise just grab handfuls of food and keep stuffing it in until he choked. she even finds playgroups really hard etc and parties because he keeps going back and back to get more food even if he hasn't finished what's on his plate.

Dunno if that helps, apart from knowing that there is another little person out there that does the same
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

DaisyAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 10:13pm
My brother is autistic, non verbal, he is 20 years old now. He has always eaten/grazed at food since he was little, over the years he has increased in size a lot, but then would lose the weight again - they also think the weight gain was a effect of some of the medicines he has been on over the years.
But he has always had a taste for unusual combinations of food - probably to do the taste and texture of the food and is always grazing/eating food constantly.
It could be ritual behavior, could also be that he doesnt really have a lot of other things that he is able to do (non verbal, low muscle tone etc) - he has certain things he likes to do - he likes lying in his snuggle bag having quiet time, likes being outside and picking flowers/leaves off things, likes "flapping" streamers etc in his hands, llooovvees long drives, likes being outside - swimming, walks on beaches, bush walks etc, likes to "post" things out windows etc (seems to like tidying/unclutter things), llooovvveesss spa baths - really really helps to soothe him and unfrustrate him.

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply