FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCaramel Slice Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caramel Slice Recipe
    Posted: 26 October 2008 at 2:04am
Does anyone have a tried and tested caramel slice recipe, the kind with the biscuity base and the gooey caramel centre (made from condensed milk etc..) with a thin chocolate layer of icing over the top to finish?

I remember having caramel slices many years ago, and thought I had a recipe somewhere, as I have made it before, but don't seem to have it anymore.

Your recipes would be greatly received!

Sponsored Links

ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 8:03am
CARAMEL SLICE

4oz butter
4oz sugar
1 T golden syrup
1 egg
1 t baking powder
1 cup flour

Cream butter and sugar, add golden syrup & egg and mix together. Add sifted flour & baking powder. Bake for 25 minutes at 180C.

While still warm spread with the following:

In a saucepan melt 2 T butter, 1/2 tin condensed milk, 2 T golden syrup - stir together and boil slowly for 2 minutes.

Spread on the base and ice with chocolate icing when cold.
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 8:09am
TAN SQUARE

185g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 t vanilla essence
1 T cocoa (optional)

Cream butter & sugar, add vanilla & sifted dry ingredients. Divide mixture in half. Press one half into swiss roll rin. Wrap the other half in gladwrap and put in the freezer.

Filling:
60g butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 T golden syrup
few drops of vanilla essence
1/2 tin condensed milk

Melt butter and sugar, stir in golden syrup and condensed milk until creamy. Pour on top of base.
Grate the frozen portion of base on top of the filling and bake for about 1/2 an hour in moderate oven (180C).
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 5:36pm
Thanks ellen! My Nan makes tan square and I've always wanted the recipe .. was going to call her and ask for it this week but now I can just call her for a chat anyway
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 5:44pm
I'm pretty sure there's a caramel slice recipe on here! Do a search and it'd probably come up. I made one a LONG time ago and it went down really well with everyone.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 9:20pm
I make something called Millionaires Shortbread which is a shortbread base with caramel topping and melted dark choc icing. The caramel is basically 1 can of condensed milk with 50g butter and 50g sugar microwaved in 1 min bursts till thick and fudgey then poured over the shortbread.

Last time I made it I added 1 tsp ground ginger to the caramel to make it a ginger slice and it was yummy!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 9:38pm
Thanks for that Ellen and Maya, just what I was after!
 Post Reply Post Reply