FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAbout to start first cycle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to start first cycle
    Posted: 05 December 2008 at 7:35am
Hi there,
We are about to start our first cycle with ICSI.   Has anyone out there got any good tips or experiences they would like to share. We are going thriugh FA in Wellington. Thanks heaps
Sponsored Links

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 6:13pm
Hi there, my fiance and I have just finished our second cycle of ivf ICSI. The best advice I could give you is take good care of yourself and involve friends and family every step of the way. If its one thing I have learned is that their support helps a great deal.
You will have positive days and negative days and the drugs certainly don't help with the hormones. It is hard to say what to expect, so as you go, if you have any questions, ask away and I will try to answer them as best I can
fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 11:24am
Thanks heaps for that, anything like that i guess will help. I guess I am just unsure as to what it is all going to be like. Like anyone I guess....Thanks for the supprt
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 5:48pm
Hi Fionae,

I just realised it was you who posted in my blog. You will see that I have added you to my buddy list.

Let me know how your doing during the cycle!!!
fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 9:52am
Have added you too, Thanks
mtjt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 5:27pm
Hi Fionae

I am trying to learn how do drive this web site !! ha ha..
I just wanted to say that i too am going thru my first round of IVF AND ICSI and am taking injections and due for EC around early feb (fingers crossed i get lots of good eggs that will turn into good healthy embryos). How far are you into this cycle of ivf? when you due for EC? We maybe around the same time as i am on my first lot of injections and will be finishing my contraceptive pill tomorrow (last day of pill) then onto the next drug for week or so.
How are you feeling?   i have alot of emotions, firstly when found out my husband has antibodies and we had to do ivf i lost it!! completely cryed my eyes out... we had no idea - complete shock for us both.. but now i have had time to process it and this is the only way for us to have a much wanted family...Its good to have others for support as right now i have told no one (apart from my parents) so surfing this website and hearing other stories is good and also sharing symptoms and experiences so at least we are not alone...I cross fingers for you too!!

Thoughts and prayers for us all!!

fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 8:39pm
Hi mtjt,
Welcome to this site. I have found it really good just to have a rant as you know someone out there will listen. I am a bit ahead of you with EC booked in for next Monday the 19th! Getting close now which is both scare and exciting.
I have now had 2 blood tests and awaiting the results on the second which I will get tomorrow. I guess they may change my doses. I started the Puregon (gonal f) last Thursday which is going ok. I am afraid it is not as nice as the Buserilin. I don’t want to scare you though. The best trick I have found is to make sure you warm it up for about half an hour before hand.
We are also ICSI. My husband had a reversal done. Me being little me thought. Great lets get that reversal done and when wam bang ill get pregnant. But no I am afraid life doesn’t quite work like that…

Anyway I hope all is going ok with you. I found when I came off the pill I started to feel heaps better. Now I am on the Puregon my head has gone a bit hazy and my brain isn’t quite screwed in properly (has a few loose screws that aren't quite screwed in right)

Take care

Fiona

mtjt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:38pm
Hello again

Its really good to read stories and sounds like you and i have alot in common. I read your profile and you are about my age (im one year older) (as we all know times a marching with fertility at our ages...) So of course a bit nervous and hoping my first shot is a success..
What do you mean about "warming up the Gonal drug"? and how?

My last day for the pill is tomorrow (should i expect a period day or so later?) even though still taking buserilin? I read somewhere cant remember where that i could expect a much heavier period when stopping the pill?? is that right?

Maybe i was sooooo shocked and upset i did not take it all in when things were explained to me...
If you are booked in for your EC on monday then you must be having your TRIGGER injection approx 36 hrs prior huh? I will be thinking of you
Do let me know how you get on im sure all will be ok and the support of your hubby will be greatly appreciated.. SO EXCITING FOR YOU!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Hey about the reversal - yep me too! i thought, yay! it worked (when got test done) it came back that he had good motility etc so for the last 18 mths was trying.. but no bub    ... so hence now down this track. The big thing we cant get over is "why did we not know sooner about the antibodies??? we found out when going to hamilton fert assoc straight away! infact within the hour!!!

looking forward to hearing how you getting on - we could swap notes!!

all the best take care

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:34pm
Fionae - all the best for your egg collection and the rest of your cycle! I found Puregon did my head in as well (it's good practice for baby brain! ) and the best advice I could give you at this point is rest - rest rest rest after egg collection and give that little embryo the very best chance it can have to settle in. I stayed on the couch under a blanket for a few days (mind you, I had about 30 follicles drained so it was pretty painful).

Also - don't be surprised with cramping and pain post egg collection and during the two week wait. Your body has been through an enormous amount and it's hardly surprising that it might get a bit 'creaky' - stay as calm and relaxed about it as you can, and if you have any bad crampy attacks, I found that hanging out in the shower helped me to calm down and relaxed my body/muscles/mind enough to work through it.

Don't be afraid to take time off work too - you've come this far!!

All the best!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:37pm
Oh and one other thing - not all follicles have eggs, not all eggs fertilise, not all fertilised eggs progress to embryos and not all embryos progress to blastocysts ... try not to get too worried, stressed or upset as things progress because it's really easy to do. I was a bit disappointed to find that of my 30 or so follicles, we had 18 eggs, then 13 fertilised, then slowly we wound up with 6 blastocysts. It's easy to freak out, but lots of girls on here have wound up with just one little embryo that could, and those babies are growing beautifully!!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
ScaredyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaredyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 5:23pm
Hi mtjt,

Good luck with your IVF cycle and it looks like we are running about the same timing.

We started the IVF roller coaster this month too and I came off the pill last Wednesday so you might be a week behind me and I'm a week or so behind honeybun and fionae! Its great having the other two just in front as they are able to give you the heads up on what to expect

I see your from Tauranga, and I'm in Katikati so not far away so if you ever want to catch up feel free to contact me (I have added you to my buddy list).

Take care
TTC # 1 - 7.5 years
2 x IVF - 4 x Trf
3 x BFP's
3 x M/c Feb 09June 10Sept 11
2 Blasties on Ice
fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 10:11pm
Hi All,
I have added Ginger and mtjt to my messenger. Good way to chat.

Mjit you asked how to warm up the Gonal f (puregon pen) I just took it out of the fride for half an our before I eeded to inject it. I found it really helped. The other thing is to sit down for about 15 mins afterwards also helps.

Hey Ginger thanks heaps for all your info esp about egg and embryo numbers etc

I am now booked into welington for a scan and blood test on Saturday morning so it is all go....Then they are going to tell me when to do trigger injection.....scary but exciting!

Grow little eggs grow.....

catie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by ginger ginger wrote:

Oh and one other thing ...

Hey Ginger
Just wanted to say good luck for the imminent birth! I haven't posted for ages, coz DH and I decided to focus on losing weight and getting as healthy as poss before one final try at IUI (though he's now gone silent on the matter and I'm pretty sure has got the stage of not wanting us to go thru it all again - it's been so nice to be off the baby-obsession-train for 6 months!). Anyway, I know what a looong journey it's been for you, and I appreciate your supportive comments when I was a regular here so I'm sending my very best wishes for you, DH, and your soon to be born bub!
 Post Reply Post Reply