FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWireless laptops- Do they affect the baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless laptops- Do they affect the baby
    Posted: 15 December 2008 at 8:12pm
I was wondering... when Im sitting on the couch with the laptop on my lap..... does it affect the baby??

Im sure I notice it kicking around more... coincidence?? Ive stopped resting the computer on my lap now.

Seems a silly question now Im asking it- it must affect them somehow.

Have I damaged this unborn child without knowing!!! OMG
Having a wee freak out here!
Sponsored Links

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 8:21pm
I wouldn't imagine it could do the bubba any harm? But who knows these days! I guess it's personal choice I happen to have that horrible "She'll be right" attitude lol! I got that from my father but hey I'm still here and completely unharmed (as far as I can tell)

A certain person in my life (rather not say who) is always telling me off for using the microwave lol!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 8:46pm
I always had mine on my lap until my bump got too big and everything with bub is fine.

I think it would be safe to use a wireless laptop, it is the norm these days to have one.
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 8:54pm
What are you meaning by a wireless laptop??? I have a laptop and the internet is wireless if that is what you mean....in that case, wireless or not, its the same.

Since I got pregnant I have not put my laptop on me....its radiation IMPO.

I do know someone who was trying to conceive and was unsuccessful for ages. She heard that a male using a laptop can affect their sperm. Her partner used a laptop all the time due to busines....so they decided to try a month of him not putting it on his lap, and presto she conceived immediately........yes it could be a conincedence....but still.

Anyway......I just prefer not to expose my unborn baby to this.....I mean they give you a suit to were at an xray..not the same, but why risk it??

And even though its the 'norm' as someone said......just because its the norm, doesn't always mean safe in pregnancy, right!?
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:03pm
I never used one on my lap when pregnant, although I NEVER use one on my lap anyway, as I too have heard about them affecting fertility. As soon as I stopped using one on my lap I fell pg so maybe it is true?!

Anyway, for me personally it's the same to me as sitting with a microwave on your lap. You wouldn't do it, but laptop's everyone thinks are OK. The jury's out so best to be safe I guess. And this is from a person who is very laid back about these things lol
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 10:14pm
I don't know about the radiation side of things, but I just wanted to say, when I was pregnant JJ kicked more when I had anything on my lap. I used to lie back on the couch and rest the book I was reading on my bump and he would swivel around in order to kick where the book was resting. The cat got the boot several times. So, bubs probably is kicking more when you have the laptop on your lap, but it might just be because of the pressure, rather than a reaction to radiation!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 10:48pm
Ok, so radiation wasn't the right word....but I'm sure you know what I mean....hopefully lol
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 10:50pm
JMO here, but I don't think you need to be concerned that you have harmed your baby.
My two came out fine, despite constant exposure to laptop radiation, not to mention the cordless phone I frequently used.
I was one of the lucky ones who got pregnant if my husband sneezed in my direction, despite the fact that he uses a laptop for work and then leisure all day every day, sometimes at the same time as using a cordless phone!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 10:55pm
Just to clarify, a cordless phone uses the same frequency as a laptop, hence my mentioning it as well
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 10:58pm
I think you'll be fine. I'd say bubs is reacting to either the weight, heat or the fact that it all went dark when your tummy got covered.
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 8:01am
Well, I have a healthy, happy, baby girl and I used a wireless laptop throughout pregnancy.
I worked for Vodafone and all we used were cell phones in store, and demonstrating the 25 live handsets in store for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Microwave would be used at least once a day, and cordless phones at home...

At work we'd get regular updates from the World Health Organisation (which I would read especially during pregnancy) and it was fine.

So I'm sure you, and baby, are fine

But, each to their own.
You've gotta do what you feel is right. At the end of the day it's your baby, your choice

I guess what I'm trying to say is; don't freak out

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 8:13am
I used a laptop (cell and cordless phone) all the way through my pregnancy and when I was in reclining the laptop became a belly top.

I would move it when it got too hot though .. but otherwise I never gave it another thought.

Oh and Isabelle turned out happy, healthy and extremely gregarious!
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 8:50am
We use our laptop on our laps all the time, but have a thin book between the laptop and legs. Mainly to prevent the heat burning your legs, but I guess it would help with the possibility of radiation too.
And yeah, its probably just that you're sitting down and relaxing that bubs is kicking more!
skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 10:31am
I have been wondering about this too, been trying to only have the laptop on my knees as far from my tummy as poss, but think I might put it on the table from now on, we use a wireless connection something has to be in the 'air' to make it work
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 12:05pm
I push it out onto my knees too... Id hate to think whats flying through the airwaves!!!! Esp nowdays with all the cell phones etc!

One of my biggest peeves is cables- DP is in AV, and has THOUSANDS of cables- Im always tripping on them, just leaves them lying around- cell phone chargers, headphones, laptop power cables, mouse cables, ipod cables AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGgg

Thanks for the responses!
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 3:06pm
bump

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
nicolas268243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolas268243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 11:02am
Hello, Now this time more wireless laptops are available. But I always like to use https://productz.com/en/razer-blade/p/AldNa laptop. It's very amazing and all features are good. I am satisfy from this laptop
 Post Reply Post Reply