FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstats for pregnancy after 12 months

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stats for pregnancy after 12 months
    Posted: 20 December 2008 at 12:33pm
Hi girls,

The stats seem to be that 80-90% (depending on where you get the stats from) of women conceive within 12 months of trying but I'm wondering out of the 10-20% left how many of those actually go on to get pregnant at all - or say within 5 years? Also, of those that get pregnant how many are naturally vs with some kind of treatment? Does anyone know? Have any of you found a website that outlines those stats?

After 15 cycles I'm just wondering realistically what my chances are
Sponsored Links

Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 1:03pm
I have no idea of the stats but just wanted to say keep your chin up. We were actively trying for 3 years before we conceived naturally (cycle just before we were gonna start IVF) and we were told we had a 1 in 3 chance of natural conception.
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 3:17pm
Actually, I thought it was 80-90% within two years? It might be 18 months ... I'm just trying to remember ... but I'm certain it's not 80-90% within 12 months. They recommend looking into things after 12 months though. It's such a variable thing, fertility stuff which is what makes is so blardy hard to cope with. After 15 cycles, your chances could be almost as good as the next person (we were told after about 3 years that our chances were more like 15% vs everyone else's 20% because of the length of time we had been trying without success ... but that was when they thought we had unexplained infertility of course. They kinda zapped to about 0-5% after that! ) OR if there is some kind of problem, then it would alter the stats some. I had an excellent book which had really good stats in, but it's sitting in my SIL's house in Tauranga, soooo    Just be careful with google    it has a habit of winding everyone up to the sky!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 8:25am
Hey Chelle - I would say it would depend on the cause of the infertility. For somebody like me with endo - my chance of conceiving with endo is minimal, but after the endo is removed the chances go back to normal. So even though I've been TTC for almost 2 years it's almost like this was our first cycle because this was our first month trying after my lap. My surgeon told me that after surgery conception rates double and that we have a very good chance of conceiving in the next 6 months. He also said he's been doing his own study and going back over all of his records to find how many patients get pg after lap and how many get pg after lap with relocation of ovaries (which is what I had) and he said the numbers are very high.
TTC#1: Jan 07
Aug 08: Lap found and excised Stage 3 Endo
Nov 08: 2nd lap clear - given OK to TTC after next AF
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:34am
That's good news then girls! I've got endo too and had a lap in August but it was only mild so kind of in the unexplained category so if my stats are still as good as anyone else I feel a little better.
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 10:06am
I would agree with Ginger about the 80-90% in 12 months not sounding right.
I had endo as well and had it removed in 2005, but it still took 2 years after the surgery - 5 years total (including 2 miscarriages) for us to concieve our daughter.

Edited by Mum2Sam

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 2:39pm
I've found those kind of stats in loads of places, but I guess they change depending on a number of factors - like age.

http://www.askdramy.com/howlong.html (90% in 12 months)

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/gettingpregnant/qt/gettingpregnant.htm (80% in 12 months)

http://www.gettingpregnant.co.uk/howlongwillittake.htm (80% in 12 months)

http://www.gurgle.com/articles/Fertility/22688/How_long_does_it_take_to_get_pregnant_.aspx (80% in 12 months)

I think even on the oh baby website it says 90% in 12 months.
mummymegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 4:58pm
looks like I am in the 10 - 20% We are on our 12th month.
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 8:36pm
dont give up Meg, It took us 14.5 months (19th cycle) to get this wee bub, and even then it was 6 weeks after being told we 'needed' IVF as DP didnt have enough viable swimmers to make IUI a worthwhile option... felt SOOOO good to ring FA back and tell them they were wrong cos we had somehow done it on our own!

Bear in mind that there is only a 20% chance for a healthy fertile couple to even GET preg in each cycle alone...
Brandon - 05/12/2003

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 8:53pm
Yeah sorry megs, it was probably a bit of a gloomy thread to start, I was hoping that someone might be able to find some nice high stats on getting pregnant in the next year or two.

It sounds kind of more like that it's more like 20% (rather than 10%) still not pregnant after a year and 10% after 18 months - so that means half of those not pregnant in the first 12 months are pregnant in the next 6 months. Now that sounds positive!!    Have I worked that out right? We'll be in that 50% megs I bet ya.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 4:50pm
Interesting stats but I agree, why is there not lovely stats saying the 10-20% who don't get pregnant in the first year, then 80% of those get pregnant in the next year.
I guess I am lucky as though we have been trying since October last year, we have a pretty good chance of getting pregnant after I get polyps removed. It is all pretty scary though! How do we know?
 Post Reply Post Reply