FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedColouring lemon icing? (banana cake)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colouring lemon icing? (banana cake)
    Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:07pm
It's Harry's birthday party on Saturday and I'm thinking of making a banana cake (in the shape of a 1). I found this yummy sounding recipe that Mel posted a while ago here and thought the lemon icing sounds delish.

I was originally going to do chocolate icing with blue and green m&m's around the edge. But then I had a thought, would I be able to mix food colouring with the lemon icing? Or would it go weird?

We're kinda having a theme of blue and green (just for the invites, balloons etc) so I thought it would be cool if maybe I could do the sides in blue and the top in green (for example).

But I have no experience in icing cakes fancy and have no idea if this would work.

Cake gurus? What do you recommend? Help!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

SuperDaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:16pm
You should be able to do a shade of green (since the icing would be yellow?) .. well I would imagine lemon icing would be yellow, so then you would add a drop of blue food colouring (it wouldnt alter the taste)

We are doing the same icing but without the lemon as we are doing an iggle piggle cake which requires at least two shades of blue (and some red), but those are both primary colours so should be relatively easy).

I would just have a play

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:21pm
Thanks heaps (SD? Or LF?). I think you're right that green would be easiest to do... I'll have a play!

I could do a green cake, and put it on a board that's covered with blue paper or fabric, with a blue candle. That would look cool....
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:08pm
Hehe .. dont you think SD can bake

Just happened that we were talking to Mum this avo about this very thing lol . (although we wanted to do blue butter icing).

Well SD wanted Marzipan (but I hate it)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 4:05pm
Because the lemon icing is made with actual lemon juice, it's not really all that yellow - usually slightly cream though that's more to do with the butter than anything!! So you should be able to get blue and green easily. Good luck!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 5:21pm
You could make the icing with just icing sugar and warm water and put the food colouring in?

Or

Make Vanilla icing and put food colouring into that.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 3:20pm
Well I had a wee play and it worked great! Sooo yummy and looked cool. I'm doing a banana cake with green lemon icing and coloured m&ms around the outside... shaped like a 1... will post pictures when it's done....

I'm making the cake on Thurs night and icing it Fri, so there's plenty of time for it to cool down inbetween and then lots of time for me to fix stuff if there's any problems lol. Party on Saturday, woop woop!
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 5:21pm
A bit late but my suggestion for adding colour to icing - dip a wooden skewer into the food colouring and then mark the icing. Mix it up and then add more as you need it.

It's the best way to make sure that you don't add too much colour at once.

Can't wait to see pictures. I can't believe Harry's almost one!

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 11:26pm
I did the lemon icing with green food colouring. So yummy.   I'm pretty stoked with how it came out. Not perfect, but pretty good for my first ever 'fancy' cake. I just finished it about half an hour ago, here's a photo
 Post Reply Post Reply