FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedpost traumatic stress in parents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: post traumatic stress in parents
    Posted: 07 January 2009 at 9:30am
I'm curious if anyone else has been through a similar experience - Daniel was suddenly diagnosed with a critical heart condition at 11 weeks (I just thought he was skinny and refluxy), and had urgent surgery.   Now whenever I have to take him to Starship for followup I get really tearful just as I come off the motorway and see it in front of me, stressed that they'll find something else. That I understand - it's logical Starship will have bad associations (good thing I no longer work there!). Over Christmas it got much worse, with me reliving the echo/being told he needed surgery/thinking worst case scenarios (him dying) many times a day and would get really upset. This lasted for about a week. The staff on the ward told me I would probably crash at Christmas, and I did. Didn't help it was also the anniversary of Mum's death. But I digress.

Any one been through anything similar?
Mum to two wee boys
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 9:46pm
Yep . I had much the same kind of things happen when lil miss ended up in Starship. Just walking onto the ward made me hyperventilate and I had a major panic attack when she had to have her IV line resited coz they took us to the same room where Sienna had to have hers resited once and the sight of the stupid toadstools on the wall just flipped me right out. I couldn't even go in there, I pretty much threw her at the doctor and ran away. I ended up in the shower throwing up and by the time I had composed myself and gotten back to our room, a nurse was there with lil miss waiting for me and wondering what on earth was going on.

Will talk more when we catch up next or when I have more time online to PM you/email you but just wanted to reassure you that you are definitely not the only one! And that the flashbacks/associations do seem to come in waves, for months after I had the gremlins I had them pretty much daily but the longer that passes then the further apart they seem to get (until something triggers them again - like her ending up in hospital).

Oh and don't underestimate the enormity of what you have been thru. I kept trying to tell myself that there were plenty of people whose babies were sicker than mine, in worse situations that mine etc. But it's not helpful. When it's happening it you it IS the worst thing inside your frame of reference and it's important to acknowledge that, and the impact that it has on you and that it is OK to be freaked out about it.

OK, rambling now! Big hugs.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 3:48am
Hey there

As you know my eldest went thru the same surgery only she was older. At the time I was super mum organising stuff and doing everything to get to england to have the surgery. I did it without my hubby as he had to stay back in the middle east with my son. It didn't bother me during the time (probably kiwikid taking me out to dinner and lots of wine to distract me) I just went into auto pilot.

6 months later was when I started thinking about all the possibilities of what could have happened. I got angry and teary. (still a little teary now reading your post as it does bring it back) It was about that time that my son also had a heart murmor discovered which turned out innocent but still not fair. 1 in 600 kids so why mine? It does get better. Slowly your mind will start to revolve around normal tasks like childcare and food etc and not just medical issues.   Are you on any cdh forums etc. I used to use one based in the uk (heartline) and seeing other people with older kids who have been there done that and live great normal lives really helped me. However everytime I go to the doctors (5 years since surgery) I still cringe with the blood pressure cuff and seem to analyze every number. Same with a stethascope (sp?) incase they find anything else.

I also want to know what caused it. Random pickings frustrate me. I have a theory that it was because my husband was on a drug for bad skin. 3 kids in one family is not right (my youngest also has an innocent heart murmor) Not sure if there is any factual bases in it but it gives me a strange sense of comfort to know that something caused it. IYKWIM some sort of answer and a bit of control over it.

Hope my random thoughts help you a little thru this. Maybe you are thinking similar thoughts and can relate maybe not.   Now I have to worry about my 12 year old texting boys and wanting to go to parties etc. I have already used her heart condition to my advantage and scared her beyond reasoning that cigarettes, alcohol and drugs can't even be an option for her due to her heart. lol. I am sure she will catch on at my melodramatics and realise that I overdid it a bit but there has to be some benefits of going thru this even if it is to tell a few white lies to keep her on the straight and narrow. Or give her an out when the whole peer pressure kicks in.

Boy where did all that come from. Hopefully it gives you a little chuckle. Take care.

ETA I have never been back to the hospital since it is in another country so can only imagine the impact that would have. I did break down watching peter pan though a few years back as it reminded me. Her surgery was at Great Ormond st in London and that hospital was set up by/ or a big benefactor of the author of peter pan as they benefit from all sales etc of the story. Not the same but if a fairy tale can set me off I can only imagine going back to the hospital.

Edited by kiwi2
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 9:31am
hugs hun

I know Jayden didnt go through anything near the same as everyone elses bubs but I have these times when I feel really really guilty and get upset as I couldnt go into the room and be with Jayden when he had the lumber puncture, IV line in and when they resited it or when he had blood tests, I just couldnt put myself in that situation of seeing him in so much stress and pain, but now I kick myself as I feel like a bad mother for not being there for him when he needed me! but I think that hes not old enough to know I wasnt there but it does haunt me! I have flash backs of what he looked like at home when we got the second ambulance and his body was shutting down, hard to erase those memories ahy hun, and at least we know that they are young enough not to remember

big hugs xoxo
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 4:52pm
Thanks girls - geez our July bunch have been thru a lot (you're an honorary July mum, kiwi2). It's good to know you were obsessive about BP and stethoscopes. Kye, IKWYM about the blood tests - I was there for most, but on the last day, they had to take it from a vein - it took 30 minutes and all 4 limbs. I decided I couldn't stay, and am so glad I didn't. As it was, I could hear him from outside the ward - I sat there rocking myself trying not to cry . I did really appreciate that at Starship, they always talked with you about whether you wanted to stay, and I was never made to feel guilty - in fact, I was always given the message that it was OK for me to not be there, that the nurse would look after him, then I could come and comfort him afterward.

Kiwi2, I feel guilty - that's not the right word - but I guess I feel like a fraud if I'm on those sites - what Daniel has is so minor to most other heart conditions, and it's (hopefully) all resolved. But maybe I should go take a look.
Mum to two wee boys
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 12:08am
I couldn't be there when lil miss had her lumbar puncture, IV lines sited etc. and I refused to be there when the gremlins had NG tubes put in at 13 mths coz I had seen waaaay too much of that sort of stuff when they were smaller and I knew I wouldn't cope. I agree with Fliss, the staff at Starship are brilliant. When lil miss had her lumbar puncture they took her away and said she'd be back in 1/2 an hour, when she wasn't back after an hour I started to panic and went to the desk and they went in and checked on her for me and never once made me feel guilty for not going with her.

And can relate to the number obsession with the BP too only for me it's oxygen sats and resp rate . That's partly an OCD thing for me too tho.

Our July babies sure have had a rough start. Here's to hoping none of them see the inside of a hospital again for a long time!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 4:33am
Hey there

I bought my own blood pressure cuff for her and tested her twice a day and even when she got worked up over a toy etc. Talk about paranoid. lol.

I also felt a little guilty because Georgias was fixable and not as severe as others. One of the other mothers who came and met me in london who had a really severe child said to me that its all relative and is happening to you so don't compare.

In London they weren't so PC and just told me to leave. Quite glad that they did as I didn't have to worry about the feeling bad thing.   The nurses were great and even told me to go out and get something to eat when things went a bit hairy with her blood pressure. I naively went out and ate and drank plenty of wine and when I came back all was good. Now I look back and think what a bad mother but at the time my mind was sort of in denial that it wasn't so bad.   In hindsight and if the other kids go down this route I would never leave. Sometimes a bit of knowledge can be more stressful.

You guys are doing great. Kids are so stressful. I was just in the ER with my son due to severe dehydration from a tummy bug. Never ends.
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2009 at 8:10pm
kiwi2 sorry to hear you were in ER I hope your son gets better soon!

Mum came home with a cotton blanket the other day as a present and it was white and fully looked like a hospital blanket! I couldnt even open it! told her to take it back and get a blue one there was no way I could handle having that in his bed!
[/url]
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 8:57pm
Hi guys,
I'm so glad I found this post, as I've gone through something similar. Jake was diagnosed with a major heart defect at 3.5 weeks, and at 6 weeks had open heart surgery. I too have it all come flooding back when we have to go back for a check up. We had to take him back for a brain scan too (I let them use him in a study, to help other heart bubs in the future) and I had to leave the room while the put the NG tube in as he was so upset, I almost lost it in the corridor.

I cried everytime I saw the heart baby billboards while driving to work last year. And when I read the heart children newsletters.

Now I'm really having anxiety attacks about it - as I'm pregnant and we have a 5% chance of it happening again with this baby (instead of the 1% chance everyone has). Scares the h#ll out of me, as it was so traumatic I don't think I could go through it all again. Seriously. And I also feel bad that I feel this way when his problem was "fixable" and not on-going --- but like the others have said, it was still the worst thing I'd experienced in my life, so I have to try and not compare to others in hospital.

I also still feel bad that my reaction to my "imperfect" baby and all the stress it caused me could have in some way impaired our initial bonding, and like I'm a bad mum for worrying about how I was feeling when my baby was so sick.

Anyway - just a bit of a ramble ... but no, you are definitely not alone.

I have a paediatric cardiology scan at starship in a few weeks to check this bubs heart ..... that will bring it all back I'm sure .... wish me luck .....
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 12:02pm
Nikki

I already had my second child when my oldest was diagnosed so I didn't worry too much until i was pregnant with my third. All three have murmors but only one has had to have surgery. The neat thing was with my third I got to have a 3D scan of the heart and got some really neat photos of babies face. This was 3 years ago when 3D wasn't so common.

When the baby was born we got a consult with a ped cardiologist which said all was good however her heart murmor didn't become apparent until she was about 3 months. When they told me she also had one I just turned around and said you have got to be kidding. (1 in 600 kids have murmors and I just happen to have 3 from 3) Like I said earlier it is innocent along with her older brothers thank goodness however so was the older sisters until she was 7 (and in heart failure) so forgive me if I am a sceptic.

Good luck with the delivery of baby number two. This whole parenthood thing is constant worry. My heart child is now into wearing eye make-up and texting boys so it has just morphed into other worries now.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:56pm
Kiwi2 - I would be a sceptic too! The figure I got when Jake was in hospital (1.5 years ago, and still being quoted on the heart children literature) are that 1 in 100 bubs in NZ are born with a heart defect (12 a week) so I would have through a murmer was more common than 1 in 600? And you have a 5% chance if there is a genetic link. But you seem to have been really unlucky!! Hopefully the other two are innocent murmers.

The heart scan is on friday .... everything looked OK at my normal 20wk scan the other day ... so fingers crossed!!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:20pm
Hi Nikki - welcome!

Hope the scan goes well on Friday. Great that the 20 week one looked OK. How did you arrange for the extra peds cardiology scan? Can I ask what condition Jake had?

I'm nervous about #2's 20 week scan - I know with Daniel I was just excited about seeing my baby, but with #2 I'll be scared in case they find something.
Mum to two wee boys
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 10:54pm
My GP (who is my LMC) referred me to ak hosp for it as I'm now "high risk" after Jakes heart defect.

Jake had a large VSD, faulty tricupid valve and a couple of other minor problems (small hole and enlarged heart on one side).

I feel a little better knowing that the 20wk scan didn't show any major issues, but they can't check for holes or check the valves .... they just look at the chambers, major arteries/veins and that its beating.

With Jake I wasn't too worried that they'd find any problems (a little nervous but excited too), this time I've been terrified of the scans!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 4:23am
Nikki

Everytime the blood pressure cuff or stethascope comes near anyone in my family the heart starts pumping and the sweat breaks out on the forehead. Sometimes I think that no knowledge and being a bit naive is a blessing. I would never have stressed this much before having a heart child.

Great news about the 20 wk scan too. And good luck for the scan on friday

Also a murmor was something treated in my mind like a common cold. Nothing to worry about. ha! People used to say oh my aunty has had a murmor for 50 years and she is ok and so I figured for 7 years it was just fine. Now I know of it as a symptom of other issues and not a diagnosis in itself. It is hard to verbalise so I am probably rambling and not making much sense.

Wow those stats are really high. I was using a UK site 5 years ago so I am probably outdated. And since it is 1 in 100 I am not so surprised that we got them then. I had a 1 in 100 chance of getting pregnant on the pill and I managed that so it is just one of those stats that seems to keep reoccuring in my life lol.

Just a random thought. Flissty weren't you incredibly itchy during pregnancy. Did you ever get a name for that as I was watching a program the other day about itching excema type symptoms during pregnancy which had something to do with the liver not working and causing the itch. I think it was called colistatious (no idea on spelling) however I noticed that the baby was monitored for heart defects after birth due to that. Could be barking up the wrong tree completely but maybe it might explain why and give you some thoughts on what to do if anything with the next bubba. I can't be sure if it was even you itching and am too lazy to look back thru the threads.

Take care everyone and don't stress too much nikki. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Edited by kiwi2
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 8:39am
Thanks kiwi2. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it goes.
Its funny - I got all the stories from people who knew someone with a hole in their heart who was fine too!! I think people think they're helping. But its really not helpful when you're going through it all, especially considering the range of severity of holes etc.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 9:05am
Yep, it was me. It was PUPP not chole..... and PUPP doesn't have any link to fetal deficits.

Nikki, Daniel was a aortic coarctation (same as Kiwi2's daughter) with a bicuspid aortic valve. Hopefully the valve will keep going fine for a while yet.   We didn't have to have open heart surgery - they went in through his back and the heart itself wasn't operated on.

Interesting to know that you are "high risk" (words that bring joy to a pregnant woman!). Will remember that for next time and talk to my MW about monitoring.

Good luck for tomorrow!
Mum to two wee boys
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:31pm
Hi - the heart scan went really well, no problems ... I'm soooo happy! Feel like I can finally relax and enjoy being pregnant now!!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 4:20am
yay congrats nikki. Be sure to follow up after birth just to be on the safe side but all is looking great. So happy for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:38pm
Yay! Glad it all went well
Mum to two wee boys
 Post Reply Post Reply