FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked*TMI* Thrush *TMI*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *TMI* Thrush *TMI*
    Posted: 10 February 2009 at 12:02pm
I had to have my smear test yesterday and wasn't that fun! Anyway (and I'm sure this is way too TMI) but she asked me if I'd been having any discharge and i was thinking my Dh and I have been doing it like rabbits for the past week of course I've had discharge!!! But I said no because I've been dry since Ov. And then she goes "it looks a little bit thrushy in there" so she took a swab. But I've had no symptoms - no itching or discharge or anything. Is it possible to have thrush without any symptoms? I've never had thrush before (at least not that I know of) so is it possible that she was just seeing the ...... leftovers .... from our BDing session? We didnt' BD the day before the test, but we did the 5 days before that.
TTC#1: Jan 07
Aug 08: Lap found and excised Stage 3 Endo
Nov 08: 2nd lap clear - given OK to TTC after next AF
Sponsored Links

Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 1:54pm
*hand up* I've had the same thing. A couple of times after my smear results have come back the Doc has said there was also a small trace of thrush. I had no idea and no symptoms at all.

Missed MC July 2011
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 2:27pm
Thanks for that. I thought you always had symptoms

So if you can have it without having any symptoms does it come and go or do you just always have it? A few months ago I always used to get really itchy/burning feeling "down there" in the few days before AF so I looked up thrush but didn't think I had it because there was no discharge or smell and it would always go away when AF arrived so I thought it was just a PMS thing. And since I started taking all my vitamins and probiotics I haven't had it.

And if you do always have it does it affect your chances of getting pg?
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 2:37pm
Hey there,

Its highly likely you have Bacterial Vaginosis.

This is basically just an imbalance in natural yeasts within the vagina.
Usually follows Thrush and it can right itself naturally or require antibiotics. It is fairly easily treated.

There isn't always symptoms.

Your swab results should clarify.

Edited to add: If it is Bacterial Vaginosis, it is best to get it treated asap, even if it isn't bothering you as it can cause problems during pregnancy such as premature labour etc.

Edited by Parki
Jane25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by loulee loulee wrote:

also you can get it from not going to the toilet after sex!

Just wondering about that cause isn't it bad to go to the toilet after sex cause everything comes out?
AngieBabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngieBabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 7:28pm
I have heard before that if you are prone to UTI's docs can encourage you to use the toilet after sex to 'flush' everything out, but haven't heard of that in relation to thrush... though I guess it's a possibility... anyhow, the going loo afterwards is only suggested if you're prone, so not needed generally.

I used to get thrush heaps... chronically when I was a teenager, thankfully not so much anymore but I do know how to read even the smallest of hints of it starting these days and can usually knock it on the head with diet and lifestyle changes - I make sure I include natural acidophilus yoghurt in my diet each day as this helps me... I'd go with the BV option myself (hehe and no that certificate on my wall isn't a doctorate! )

Edited to correct crappy spelling... who can tell it's the end of the day?!

Edited by AngieBabe
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 7:53pm
The weird (and annoying!) thing is that I changed from my normal IBS support pills to a new probiotic 2 weeks ago so if its thrush I'm not gonna be happy! especially seeing as the new ones are like 3 times the price of the old ones
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 7:54pm
Just a random thought ... what happens if you take antibiotics and probiotics at the same time - do they cancel each other out:?! lol
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:06am
The antibiotics cancel the probiotics. If you're taking both you should have a space of at least a couple of hours between each.
 Post Reply Post Reply