FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoing from Losec to Omeprazole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
solgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going from Losec to Omeprazole
    Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:51pm
Paige has been on Losec for most of her little life.....we have tried weaning her off it twice with not great results.
We have just moved to the naki and the Hospital Peads have prescribed her Ompeprazole. She has been on it for about a week or so now and it is like she is not on anything at all.

She is really spilly ( on losec we hardly ever had any spills). Lots of refluxing and screaming (she is a silent refluxer) so am guessing she is a little sore.

Has anyone out there been thru something similar...did it get better or did your kids have to go back on losec.

We have a appt at the hospital (thank goodness) next week so will talk to them about it but would love any feedback from anyone who has been thru the same

Thanks
MUMMY TO EMMA (4yrs), PAIGE (2yrs) &

Sponsored Links

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:42pm
Hi,
I am a bit confused as losec and omeprazole are the same thing. it comes in two different formats though - capsules and a liquid. Have you changed from one to the other?
solgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:49pm
Yeah I know they are the same thing....she is on the granule capsules......

Was guessing like a lot of things made by different companies they might have different fillers or something....had also read somewhere of others with the same probs and can't remember where it was so thought I would ask here first.

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 3:16pm
AFAIK the government have just changed from subsidising Losec to Omeprazole.

DH is on Losec and when I collected his new prescription from the doctors on Wednesday it was Omeprazole that was on the prescription.

I know he's not a kid but I will monitor him for you Gaylene
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 3:53pm
I found that when I put my son on the granules at about 10 months he was okay for the first few days (he was on two capsules per day) but then after that he went downhill. was waking a lot during the night and seemed to have a really sore stomach. and was more spilly.
I went to see a pediatrician who suggested that the side effects of the medication were the problem, and not the reflux itself. He said to go to a lesser dose (one capsule split morning and night) and it was better but then the reflux was worse, but then we changed to ranitidine and he was like a new baby.
Maybe if your baby is spilling a lot try gaviscon. Have you been to www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz. there is a lot of great advice on the website.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 10:15pm
When I picked up lil miss' last script it was omep rather than Losec brand, the capsules are blue and white instead of pink like the Losec brand ones. She hasn't been any different tho. Actually, come to think of it, she has been more spilly lately but I put that down to starting solids. She started solids and changed the meds around the same time. Still, it's more likely the solids coz AFAIK the granules are exactly the same, it's just packaged differently.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 2:12pm
I found Emma was more spilly on Omeprazole too so last time I demanded I get Losec and got it. Weird that there's a few of us that have noticed the same thing - I too was told Omeprazole and Losec had the same active ingridient

solgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 3:03pm
Thanks for your feedback ladies....I guess I will just keep an eye on her...she seems good today,

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:08pm
If you still have problems go back and tell your GP- often when the government chooses to supply a cheaper brand of a drug, the other brand is still available, but dr's have to prescribe the cheaper option unless the patient has a problem with it. I had the same problem when Ventolin inhalers were changed to a cheaper version, like many others did. If enough people have problesm and tell there drs, then as was the case with ventolin, the gov had to switch back to the more expensive drug.
Good luck!
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:22pm
We have gone from Losec to Omeperazole. The pharmacist did tell us when we got our first lot of Omep that if it didn't agree with Micah we could switch back, but it would be at a cost ($15 per script per fortnight) we are on the liquid. Fortunately for us it has agreed with Micah so we have not needed to go back to Losec.

From what you describe, I would be asking to go back on the Losec, no matter what the cost.

I hope that you get it sorted soon
Minnie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minnie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 2:33pm
Hi there
i too have a bub on Losec or so i thought as it looks like its omaprozole underneath the label that says losec!! anyways Cody has been on it again for 2 weeks now and it seems to have made him mre spilly and more fidgety on the boob and bottle!!

Hila, what difference did the ranitidine actually make ?beacuse im thinking of asking my Dr to try that for him. a friend has also told me her daughter is really good on it.

have been stressing out a wee bit bout all of this, as Cody also doesnt sleep well at night like he used to, has never slept well in the day. and has really bad wind...anyone else have this prob??
m
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 1:29pm
I think the wind can be associated with the reflux, there's more info about that on the Crying Over Spilt Milk site.

Lil miss is still fine on the omep, the spilling settled as she got used to the solids I think. We've managed to cut her down to 10mg a day but haven't been able to get her off it completely, when we cut out the 10mg a day the symptoms come back.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 10:40am
Thought you guys might find this interesting
Losec
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 1:08pm
Hmm Losec and Omeprazole are the same thing. Jake was put on the liquid which was fully subsidised for us and it worked wonders. Raw dairy sets off his reflux big-time though if its cooked (biscuits or whatever) hes fine so we have to be careful about that but he's now off the meds and generally does great. I also had him on Inner Health for Kids (probiotic *edit*) to help keep his guts properly balanced.
A friend of mine had her boy on Ranitidine and it worked great for her.
Another person to speak to might be your pharmacist. Ours specially mixed Jakes syrup for him and he was just lovely, very helpful!

Edited by Babe
Minnie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minnie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 2:35pm
Yes Omaprozole and Losec are exactly the same. my sister is a nurse and knows alot about drugs. The only difference is the drug company . it all depends on where they source their ingredients from, which they are the same in what is called "omaprazole" or "losec".and they may have different fillers....so maybe thats the diffference?

just thought that would be of interest. :)

i have my son on Goats milk, which seems to be ok, and his ecsema is getting better, but i have to wait for Paed to see if hes got allergies that make the reflux worse. he is now on a larger dose of Losec....20 mg a day! thats an adult dose....i hate it to be quite honest but if its going to help him then im glad. hope to see more of an improvement soon.

i wanted to try the NAN ha1 nestle formula, or the Karicare one, but have to wait and see.

dont really want tro buy a big tin and find it doesnt agree with him.

anyone else have a bub that refluxes feeds from hours earlier? i can tell because some of the Losec comes up with it!! so frustrating

m
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 9:45pm
A number of people have had problems with the new Omeprazole that is funded - Dr Reddy's. We've just changed back to Losec to see if that helps Jackson any. There's some information on it on the crying over spilt milk website.

You can ask for Losec to be dispensed by the pharmacist, but you will have to pay for it. It is partially funded until 1st May.

Minnie80, Jackson also throws up milk hours after his feed. You're right, it is so frustrating. It is probably due to delayed gastric emptying, which is quite common with reflux bubs, particularly those on omeprazole. You could try a probiotic to help his gut process the milk better.
 Post Reply Post Reply