FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStretch Marks and Weight Gain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bree1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bree1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stretch Marks and Weight Gain
    Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:09pm
Hi ladies, have only just got a BFP 4wks. However I already have stretch marks - and I'm a small person - size 8-10, however am guessing I will be getting a lot more with pregnancy. Any tips for reducing or minimising these?
Also weight gain - I know we are all different, but I already feel like i am poping out and hips, thighs and tummy getting fatter! i want the baby to be healthy number one, but alsowant to be carefull not to put too much weight on. Prior to my BFP I was doing ALOT of endurance sport. Due to miscarriages in the pasts have been told the first 3 months to take it very easy and no exercise. So I will start again after that, if I can, however keen to try and keep the weight and body shape some what in tact so it's not so hard at the other end....again any tips??
Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:22pm
I had stretch marks by 8 weeks, mostly boobs and hips as they grew very quickly! They're still there

Some people just carry big - I carried lots of fluid so there was no getting away from the weight gain. That said, my food intake in the last trimester was APPALLING - whole big bags of chips, chocolate, all the comfort foods .... If you can have some self control and just keep up a good diet, it won't do any harm!

Swimming is meant to be really good in pregnancy - low impact, lots of buoyancy but you get good muscle workout and cardiovascular workout too. I have a friend who was jogging till 2 weeks before she gave birth, but I don't recommend that!
Mum to two wee boys
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:23pm
I was a bodybuilder pre Isabelle .. and stopped exercising during that pregnancy and started again post.

I just wanted to make sure NOTHING went wrong, so I ate a "normal" person diet (eg carbs lol) and stopped running etc. I put on about 20 kgs but as you well know being an athlete .. it comes back off, so I wouldnt worry too much about the weight gain.

And...because you have an athletic background, your body retains its muscle memory, so its not difficult to restart again.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 7:47pm
Bree, try not to worry about it. Even if you go up a size or two post-pregnancy your body may well be better off with "reserves". I was a size 8-10 when I got pg with DD1. I gained 13kg and lost weight after the pregnancy (while bf). In fact I lost too much weight and was definitely a size 8 before she was 1yr old. I have just had DD4 but am expecting to settle into a size 12 with a bit of time - I'm 62kg now. Getting pg will not necessarily set you up to be a big woman so go ahead and eat what you need to. Probably the best thing you can do for your body is try to make healthy choices when you do need to eat, not just eat junk because you're hungry.
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:03am
i was a personal trainer before getting pregnnat. i was still on the bigger side but have so far put on 7kg. i expect with your size youll put on quite a bt more but you will need it for baby which means it will come off again at te other end so dont stress. i dont know how reduced you are with exercise. i used to run 30mins a day but now i walk an hour a day instead as i injured my ankle the week i got my BFP so was on no exercise for a while too. i took me a while to get my fitness back but im feeling like if i was allowed i could walk out the door and go for a run right now. lol as long as you dont eat like a crazy pregnant person youll be fine. eat what you normally do and adjust it accordingly if you need more/less.

Aquarius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:03am
yeah, body issues..never ends aye...
as others have said..i can assure you whtaever your body goes through during pregnancy will NOT determine what it will be like post baby!
after the birth of my boys i was the best shape i have ever been. with determination of course, and being an aerobics instructor helped so the body does respond well.
watch the breast feeding though...i loved this so decided to not expect my absolute pre pregnancy body till after the feeding was finished!
your body will remain in 'maternity' mode while feeding ensuring that you have enough stores to keep nutrients up so losing all your weight while breastfeeding can be a bit of a myth!!
i think the exception not the rule applies here...from a ex fitness professional that is!

mum to mr 16 & mr 10
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:17pm
Arrgh first trimester weight gain I went from a very sleek size 8 (was pilates fanatic with a an hour cardio a day) to a 12 in the first 3 months. I was horrified - got stretchmarks on my hips and breasts and omg my butt!!!! I'm tall - 5"7 so it didn't look like I was gaining much but it still felt awful. In the end though I'd only gained 7-8kg after Jake was born. By the end of the first week I was back in my size 10s and back in my 8's about 4 months after that.
Eat healthy, make up a snack platter with fruit, cheese, crackers, celery and peanut butter or cottage cheese, dates, prunes, etc. Drink lots of fluid to help you feel full so you don't binge. Go for a walk (not too slow but not brisk either) every day just to keep your blood moving. It'll be fine

As for stretchmarks *eyes rolling* not much help there. I didn't get any across my tummy til 2 weeks before Jake was born. Really found oils have worked great since having him though - bio-oil has earned its rep. Also cocoa butter?? And apparently taking epo and/or fish oil helps with your skin elasticity and health.

Good luck
sassysas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassysas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 2:38am
For the stretch marks I would say use Bio Oil, it is supposed to work a treat. i use it morning and night along with The Body Shop's almond butter cream, its really rich and smells yummy. Cocoa butter is also supposed to be good. Make sure you do your boobs as well as your tum and thighs.
i guess also try not too "eat for 2" and do your excersise after the first trimester is up and you should have a constant but steady weight gain that is considered "normal".
x
Due 11 Aug with first baby
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 7:03pm
I gained about 20kg during pregnancy and I didn't get a single stretchmark, so weight gain doesn't necessarily mean you'll get stretchmarks! (I was suprised as I had some old ones on my hips from puberty so assumed I'd get them during pregnancy but it didn't happen).
Two little girls under 2!

skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 7:17pm
I have put on 10.5kg so far and am walking 30min-1hr everyday and eat very very well 95% of the time, I just cannot stop the weight gain - so it must be mother natures way for me. No stretchmarks yet and using palmers stretchmark cream somedays and nature baby body oil too (its really nice)
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 10:25pm
i was semi overweight ( well in my opinion) when i got pregnant with my son and i thought right thats it ill never be skinny, but a week after henry was born i was back to my prepregnancy weight and am now 8kgs lighter than i have been since puberty. Plus im in better shape. My body has changed - my boobs are bigger and my tummys a bit squishy, in saying that though i havent done anything except a 20minute walk everyday with my son so i could be trying a lot harder. Just don't worry about it. Do what your body needs now and worry about the rest later. Congrats on the pregnancy btw
Mandy269450 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandy269450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:01pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy <3
 Post Reply Post Reply