FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Giving Reflux Medication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for Giving Reflux Medication
    Posted: 02 June 2009 at 8:22am
We have just changed from giving Gaviscon to Ranitidine. I thought it would be so much easier as I don't have to express to put the gaviscon in but I am finding it quite hard as Eva HATES the taste of the Ranitidine and spits it out and gags on it.

Anyone got any tips on how I can get it into her easier? She is almost 4 months.

At the moment I have it in a syringe and I give it to her in 3 goes, each time after I put it in her mouth I shove my (.) in there so she wont spit it out and will drink instead. This kinda works.

Edited by Mel&Kel
Mummy to Eva born 11 Feburary 2009 and Charlotte born 18 April 2011
Sponsored Links

oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 8:51pm
We had the same prob when Gracie first went onto losec. Now she takes it fine (has been almost a month). We just make sure we only put a small amount in her mouth at a time and make sure she can't turn her head to the side.

There are also two types of rantidine - one is sweeter tasting than the other. Have a look at the cyring over spilt milk website. It has info about them on it.
oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 8:53pm
Sorry double post

Edited by oscarboo
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2009 at 2:25pm
I could never express much milk so mixed the gaviscon with cooled boiled water, cos Isla was having it 6 times a day.
For the gaviscon I found the best was to give it was using a giant dropper that u can buy from chemist shops for like $3. You can then suck all the medication into it in pne go, and place the think pointed end down the side of their gums/cheek and gently squeeze it in.
For the Ranitidine I used a small syringe (I think 3 mls)- again from the chemist. If you gently squeeze their mouth near the jaw- like wear the top and bottom jaw bones meet, there mouth opens (practice on yourself or partner, it makes anyones mouth open- same as animals), and again squirt the medication down the side of their cheek, not straight down the back of their tounge so they dont choke!
Hope my explanayion makes sense, and helps!
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:13pm
with the Ranitidine i would do what kellz said and would squirt it down the side of his cheek then i would quicky shove him on boob or shove bottle in his mouth.
 Post Reply Post Reply