FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux has come back w Vengence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux has come back w Vengence
    Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:16pm
Why would Locky start having reflux again.... he always had a bit, but I thought the afternoon screeming sessions were behind us. He is nearly 10 weeks now.
He has started to completely lose it when I try and burp him mid bottle too, never used to. And I mean 'screaming' gimme my bottle back type thing.

I thought they were supposed to grow out of it by 12 weeks???

Any ideas?? Or on how to burp him without him getting so stressed out??
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:33pm
I know some children still taking reflux medicine who are over 12 months, they both have allergy issues as well though.

Maybe he's meds need adjusting? have you changed formula recently or anything else that might have made a difference to him?

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 5:46pm
What happens if you don't stop to burp him?

Amy hated to stop during the bottle and with Sophie, if I stopped and then tried to put the bottle back in her mouth, she would often power chuck the whole lot back at me

solgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 6:20pm
My DD2 has not grown out of her reflux yet....

she has been on losec since she was 7 weeks old....we have tried weaning her a few times and still not happening......she will be 16 months old in a few days..
Doctors think she will be on it till she around 2 yrs.....and we have been told not to try weaning her off it again for another 3 months....

Best of luck with your little man.....if he has reflux it might be a while yet before he grows out of it
MUMMY TO EMMA (4yrs), PAIGE (2yrs) &

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 8:20pm
oh no I hope it doesnt last that long! I bet she hates it poor thing... they seem like theyre in so much pain from the burning.

Cuppatea- no change on the formula... not since we tried the goatsmilk for 24 hrs. that was a tin of HA ago now.

I gave him some chamomile tea this avo when it looked like it was all going to progress- and we averted the screaming- but I could hear him swallowing it back down, and he wouldnt let me put him down, I had to walk round the house with him facing outwards for over an hour. could be worse i know, and it has been in the past... so im gratefull really. just want to help him the best i can i guess.

thanks everyone.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 12:31am
We kept Callum on ranitidine till he was 6 months, we tried weaning him off a couple of times before that (4 & 5 months) but he wasn't ready and within a day or two he would be screaming at bed time and sicking up more

DH and I used to disagree over burping 1/2 way through the bottle - I stopped it earlier than he did because I thought C was screaming FOR the bottle whereas DH thought he still needed burping...
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
busyissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busyissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 1:32pm
KitKat have you tried anything to help him bring the wind up like weleda colic powder or infacol? It may be that the wind is causing colic and that is aggrevating the reflux.
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 1:56pm
We use Weleda every bottle, and Rhuger at the beginning. And sometimes gripewater instead of rhuger.

I tried Infacol once ind he spewed the whole bottle (it seemed) it seemed to evacuate his tum.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 7:28pm
Not quite on topic but helpful for you to know. Apparently potato is not good with reflux babies so bear that in mind when introducing foods.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 10:17pm
Thats interesting Aliasmum! Potato is the one food that Campbell hates, and he hasn't even had it by itself! He's only tried it in foods where potato is an ingredient, and he's not had a bar of those foods!

Good to know, even though I was steering clear of it anyway!
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 8:56am
Very interesting.... I cant wait to introduce foods.....
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 11:18am
God- here I am again- I dont even need to start a new topic- De Ja Vu.

I am getting so depressed about it, He screams for hours, my life has gone out the window. I cant take him anywhere- the antenatal coffee group meet up, doc appt went to sh*te cos I couldnt make it out the house.
I told DP I didnt want any more kids if this is what its like. Its affecting everything.

I am starting work on Monday cos we need the money- I think DP makes a better mum anyway. God I am so sh*t at all this... I just cant cope with it all. I spend most of the day in tears with Locky.

Sorry to sound like a dick. I feel like such a failure.

Edited by KitKat
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 1:33pm
You're not a failure! I went back at 5 months with my first. I hated being at home with her.

I'm sure you are trying everything, but have you got him on a dummy? I know that helps Cooper.

But I feel for you , we had hours of screaming last night after I introduced a new food.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 2:01pm
You are so not a failure. Reflux is awful to deal with and don't feel bad about going back to work either, you do what you need to do.

Do you have a plunket family centre in your area? I went to the one in CHCH with Spencer when he was 3 months cos it was all getting a bit much and our whole day would turn to sh*t before 9am. They were awesome, and they spend a good amount of quality time with you, I was there from 9am-2pm the day I went. There are other mums there as well who are also having a hard time and understand how you are feeling. If nothing else they will take baby off you for bit so you can go and have a coffee or get some lunch in peace.

drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 10:46pm
hi sorry to drop in to your conversation, but i had the mega chucker miss amelia and my saving grace was i hired a motorised swing, the one in the frame, that u can lay back. I would feed and put in that and hide it from the plunket nurse!!! heehehehehe it may not be in the good parenting guide but it totally saved me, also took her to cranial ostiopath and learnt how to massage her, all of these compined got me thru her first year. i am now doing it all ova again with a few extras thrown in. try www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz     is great site with lots of ideas
and please dont eva blame or feel bad. millions of hugs
oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 8:51pm
I hope things are getting better for you. I know what it is like to have a baby stop to burp half way and then just scream. Mine then refused to take the bottle back again! It was taking 1 1/2 hours to get a feed of 150mls into her. All is good now. We had to change to Neocate formula and luckly we have just been able to stop her meds. I went back to work when she was 14 weeks and I couldn't wait to go back - like you I said she would be better at home with DH. Now I actually go to work and miss her! Hang in there, hopefully it will be better soon
 Post Reply Post Reply