FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelaying introducing dairy into diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delaying introducing dairy into diet
    Posted: 22 August 2009 at 10:34pm
I've been thinking about delaying introducing any dairy into Campbell's diet until he's a year old, as I've read you should do this if there is any family history of dairy allergies. My mother has a very strong dairy intolerance, but don't think its an allergy, and my husband gets irritable bowel with some kinds of dairy.
Would you consider this to be a family history that means I should wait, or is it alright to introduce things like yoghurt or cheese before he's a year old? I'm mainly wondering because he's starting stage 2 foods, which can have some dairy products as ingredients in meals, and I'm keen to know what I should avoid.
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2009 at 3:24pm
It wouldn't hurt to avoid if you can.

I'm by no means a doc but it sounds to me like you mum and hubby and lactose intolerant (normally causes vomiting, diarhoea and tummy upsets) rather than an allergy (also causes stomach problems, but often constipation but would also cause excema, allergy rashes, hives and in bad cases respiratory problems).
The two things are quite separate problems, lactose intolerance is caused by a deficiency in the enzyme needed to break down lactose (lactose is a sugar), it's rare for babies to have it and breastmilk actually has much higher levels of lactose than cows milk, often people don't develop lactose intolerance until late teens/early 20s.
The allergy is to do with the protein and is often referred to as cow's milk protein allergy, with this the immune system actually attacks the protein as it would a disease and that's what causes the reaction.

I just think sometimes a better safe than sorry approach is better and waiting till 12 months isn't that long, or if you introduce earlier then just start with dairy in baking and then work up to yoghurt/cheese that way you will see if he reacts and whether he is ok with it in baking (often mildly allergic children can tolerate it in baking but not have huge amounts so can't tolerate cheese or yoghurt etc)

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2009 at 10:21pm
I'm going with the "better safe than sorry" reason as well.

We have a direct correlation of eczema resulting from dairy I consume though.

Oh & he spills more as well.

Edited by Aliasmum
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 6:56pm
Jezka- are you saying that your wee ones grew out of the milk allergy??? how old??

Allergies are so complex! its so hard.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 9:17am
kitkat - our paed said avoid till 1 cause of probable allergy ....in the end it turned out probably just bad intolerance but we avoided till one and now besides the one patch of excema he can do all dairy fine.. quite a lot (not sure of exact percentage) grow out of it by one..
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 9:32am
Spencer is slowly out growing his, he no longer comes up to egg or dairy on the skin prick test and can tolerate both in small amounts in baking now (still gets rashy if I over do it and can't have milk or cheese or yoghurt yet), his skin still reacts to peanuts though.

Paed said (same one four_eyes saw) that almost all children except those with the most severe allergies out grow between 3-5 yr (that would be the ones that hadn't already at 1). The elimination diet helps them out grow quicker as well because if they keep eating it then the body keeps fighting it, I have heard the allergy can get worse as well in those cases (that wasn't from the doc though so might not be true)

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:11pm
Good to know all this - its probably overkill for Campbell if I hold out til he's a year old, but figure its better to be safe than sorry. He has had mild reflux, which he's starting to outgrow now, and mild excema on his scalp, which I still don't know the cause of, so figure there's no harm in waiting, just in case.
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 10:29pm
Okay, I thought I was being too paranoid about this, so I've tried Campbell on yoghurt a few times now, and he seems to get a bit spilly and mucousy afterwards. Wasn't sure if this was coincidence, until today, when I tried a jar of the new Only Organics custard, and he did the same thing. The stuff he brought up seemed more mucousy than his normal milk spill.
So I've decided to definitely keep him off dairy until over a year old now. But I'm wondering if its worth getting a skin prick test done, or if thats a bit overkill for such a small reaction?
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:32am
You could always inquire?

I'm taking Cooper in to the dr tomorrow so will ask for you. I'd love to be able to feed him dairy!!
Kel

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 1:29pm
You could ask about it, Spencer has had three and it has been quite nice to see his reaction become smaller and smaller as he out grows it. Spencer's allergies aren't severe, he just gets itchy and it gives him a gross bum, although could be a lot worse if he was eating the foods all the time.

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:24pm
Had a Plunket nurse appointment this morning, so asked her about it, she suggested it wasn't necessary with a mild reaction. So I might leave it for now, and see how he handles dairy next year.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 10:07pm
I might look into it for Cooper. I had one cream puff & a few small pieces of cheese on Saturday night & man his poor butt this arvo & the mucous TMI poo!!

It was either that or the wine!
Kel

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 9:40pm
Awww, poor Cooper, that sucks!

Thankfully Cam doesn't seem to react, through breastmilk, to me eating dairy. I eat and drink so much milk, yoghurt, cheese and chocolate - I really don't know how I'd cope if I had to give it all up!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 11:35am
OMG that is lucky!

Yesterday he came up with nappy rash & two really weird ezcema spots out on his butt cheeks away from where the rest of the rash was.
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply