FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSleeping thru & engorged boobies!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping thru & engorged boobies!
    Posted: 15 September 2009 at 8:38am
Up until 2 days ago, Chelsea was still getting up every 3hours in the night for a feed. But the last two nights she's just suddenly slept thru, YAY! (8hrs Sun night, 12hrs last night! Hope I'm not jinxing it!!) But I've had to get up at about 2am and express because my boobs are SO engorged and sore and uncomfy and leaking from missing 3 feeds overnight!! I want my body to get used to not having to produce so much milk overnight, so I shouldn't express but I can't sleep if I don't because it hurts so much. (I only expressed off 80ml last night just to relieve the pressure a bit, they were still hard) sorry TMI but my question is, how long roughly does it take for your body to get used to not producing so much milk? And should I just be trying not to express at all or is it ok to take off a little bit? Thanks!!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 8:44am
Id only take off a little otherwise your body wont realise you dont need that milk.

It took me probably a week to stop feeling hard and sore (i didnt express it off during the night though, so moaned and rolled over lol.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 9:10am
My boobs still go a bit out of control (Kyle is a bit random at night and sometimes is up once or sometimes twice, no sleeping through for me). If I wake up uncomgy then I get up and express about a half a feed out so that I can go back to sleep and then I freeze what I have expressed so it doesn't go to waste. Your boobs will adjust if she continues to sleep through, so just give it a few nights of what you are doing and you should be fine.

I always express cos I'm worried about getting an infection if I don't. Don't know if you have had any but if you have then I would be a bit more careful about staying engorged.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 1:03pm
maybe just try hand expressing a little bit off to take the pressure off...

Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 10:54pm
I went through the same thing with Emily when she started sleeping through. I just got up and expressed a litlte bit like you have been doing - just enough to take the pressure off but not too much for my body to think it was a full feed IYKWIM. But then Emily would only do 2-3 nights sleeping through then go back to waking up for feeds again for a week or so, and so on. So my boobs would just readjust as needed. Once Emily was sleeping through on a more regular basis, it only took a couple of nights of light expressing to stop the engorgement but my boobs would still be full enough for the morning feed.

Missed MC July 2011
Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 10:57pm
Oh and like cuppatea said, keep the expressed milk so it doesn't go to waste - it might come in handy later if you want to go out for an evening and Chelsea can have bottled EBM (assuming she will take a bottle) fed to her by someone else.

Missed MC July 2011
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 8:54am
Thanks ladies!! Last night she woke at 1am but didn't seem hungry so just gave her some water and then she slept till 6am. I didn't express last night at all so boobies were quite full this morning but less sore than the other nights so I guess that's a good sign! and yup I saved the milk from the previous two nights which should come in handy! (hehe my wee girl will eat/drink anything that's put in her mouth, so no worries about giving her a bottle lol!!)
It's great how our bodies can adjust so easily
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Post Reply Post Reply