FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAllergic reaction - rash/welts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allergic reaction - rash/welts
    Posted: 10 November 2009 at 2:14pm
Three times in the last month my boy has had a reaction to something (either food or something in the grass/air) and woke up in the middle of the night scratching like crazy and not able to go back to sleep for a few hours. Usually he goes back to sleep straight away so this isn't like him. He gets a rash either on his torso and/or legs that looks like big welts.

Took him to the doc the first time, she said allergic reaction to something but not sure what. We have antihistamine medicine and cream for when he gets a reaction, but I'd really like to be able to prevent it happening - not fun for him or us!

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sort of reaction? Obviously not life threatening but is affecting him and us.

Do you think we'd be able to get him tested? If so, what does it involve?
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 2:20pm
E's was similar (reaction)

for us the paed gave us neocate after assessing us..but when he was one he did skin prick tests which he said are very accurate..so we did those..you should be able to get those done?

*hugs to Harry*!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:07pm
Liz, I'd suggest getting an allergy test done sooner rather than later. You can either go for a skin prick test or a RAST (bld test). Your GP can give you the necessary forms. Eva gets RASTs done every 3 mths at present as her allergies keep changing, so is quite used to bld tests. Other kids hate them though.

Does the rash only show up in the night? Makes me think it's something he's eaten at dinner or something that's come in contact with his skin around bathtime.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:10pm
yeah if it were me i would get the skin test done and then do bloods if suggested..that's not a very fun process:( can doc refer him to a paed?
Mum to two amazing boys!
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:25pm
I'll get DH to take him to the doc tomorrow, thanks ladies.

I think one of the things he reacted to was V8 juice, though not sure about the others. Yesterday we were home all day and he had 'normal' things to eat - and spag bol for dinner - pasta, pasta sauce, mince and cheese. And just water to drink. Actually now that I think of it -- it might have been last night or the night before, I had a strawberry milk and he had a mouthful of it. Hmm must ask DH if he can remember when it was.

He has showers, often both at night and in the morning cos he likes them - and uses J&J's wash.

Generally the reactions are at night time, and are still there in the morning (very much so this morning). The spots are still there now but faded.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 5:12pm

Poor wee Harry   I know its obvious - but have you changed soap powder or anything like that? (thinking of his sheets and pjs?)

ETA - DUH! I am guessing that if he doesnt get it every night - then its not his sheets or PJs ...doh?!?!

Edited by SimSam
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:28pm
yeah I would try skin prick test first, totally pain free, takes about 15mins most of which is just waiting.
They can test for grasses, pollens, cat hair, etc as well as foods

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 9:41pm
Have the V8 got either flavour enhancers 621 or 635?

If it has 635 this could be the rash factsheet there is a picture.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply