FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked14 month old and bottles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
denny25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14 month old and bottles
    Posted: 10 November 2009 at 9:18pm
Ava is 14 month old and has 3 200ml bottles a day. When should I try to drop her down to 2 bottles?

Also, when and how should I wean her from a bottle onto a sippy cup for her milk? She uses a sippy with a straw for water only at the mo.

Edited by denny25
Sponsored Links

Twinboys2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 9:47pm
Watching responses eagerly

My boys are still on 4 bottles of between 100 - 150mls and when I last spoke to the Karitane nurse she said do whatever works for the boys.

Why do you need to get rid of bottles?

3yr old gorgeous ID twin boys.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 9:30am
There are theories/research that suggests you can do damage to teeth/gums if bottles are kept long term. Dentists recommend around 12-18 months I think to get rid of them. You would probably find if you up her calcium intake in other areas (yoghurt, cheese etc) that you can take away the bottles, or just reduce to 1.

As for sippy cup, just start doing it - she'll either drink it or she won't.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 9:48am
My DS is nearly 2 and he still has one bottle of 200mls at night. Without this bottle he would have no milk in a day and to be honest I don't care that he still has a bottle. Its only once a day and it means he can snuggle in and get cuddles while drinking it.

At 14 months DS was at DC so we had dropped down to 2 bottles. He had his night one and would sometimes have one before his afternoon nap if he was hard to settle.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:56pm
E dropped to 2 like a year i think and no bottles at 13-14 months.. i switched him to cups(took a few kinds of cup) and he started throwing morning one around so that was gone then i just decided he didnt need bottles anymore..i offer him a cup of milk a day most days but i dont worry cause he gets dairy from a million other sources.. really by 14 months i would say one if any.
Mum to two amazing boys!
TansP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TansP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 12:13pm
Jaye is 14 months and we have just dropped his afternoon bottle. Instead he is having afternoon tea. Will hopefully have the morning bottle gone in the next couple of months. I am ok with him having his 240ml nightcap for a while longer.
He has been using a sipper cup with no return valve for ages but he hasn't quite grasped the fact that if he drops his cup it spills!

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 7:50pm

Joel has been on 2 bottles a day since about 11 months, approx 250ml breakfast and bedtime. I am quite happy for him to have them, Leah at 3 has her milo in one at night as she is a messy little bugger  and it goes everywhere when she is tired.!

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 8:06pm
The recommendation is two milk drinks (or equivalent dairy servings) per day for toddlers from 12 months. Peads and dentists recommend changing to cups as soon as possible from 12 months, definitely by 18 months. Apart from the teeth reasoning, there is also the fact that they need to lose the suckling to gain some changes needed for speech later on.

I changed Jake by firstly giving him the day milk in a cup with the non-spill valve removed (so it flowed faster) - putting a small amount of milo in helped too - then a couple of months later I gave him the night milk in a cup before his bath but still let him have a bottle after the bath at first - this resulted in him drinking more in total and peeing thru his night nap though! So after a couple of days I just offered the cup after his bath - he looked at me like I was mad the first night but drank it and was fine from then on. A few days later I changed it to before / during the bath so his teeth could be cleaned after the bath (he used to have the bottle after teeth were cleaned, the dental nurse told me off!!) and that was it. He still has a cup of milk before his bath.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Nikki Nikki wrote:

He still has a cup of milk before his bath.

Just wondering what time do you give him dinner and what time a bath?

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:09pm
Thomas has 2 bottles a day - 200ml at breakfast and the same after dinner. He will drink water from his sippy cup but not his formula, so i'm not really worried at this stage. He's happy and healthy and thats all that matters :D
Alex, Thomas and Lily
BlaBla_152 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlaBla_152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:24pm
I know that most bubs just wean themselves off when there ready. Most wean themselves off anywhere upto 18 months, my son just suddenly one day at about 16 weeks desided he didn't want anymore bottles (he was have upto 5 a day beforehand) since then on some days we have to repeatitively give him a sippy cup of drink bottle of milk during the day to try and make sure hes getting enouth calcium. I would only be concerned if come 18 months it still a problem and then try to intervene. Also it does seem that boys are usually more atached to there bottles then girls (not saying some girls aren't).
hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 9:33pm
Hi, my bubs is just over 13 months and she stopped her bottles about six weeks ago - won't let us near her at all (or the ladies at daycare). She has always cut out a bottle before she should! I have started giving her rice bubbles in the morning with cows milk and she LOVES it and she has yoghurt, cheese etc thru out the day. I have been leaving her sippy cup on the coffee table, her exersaucer (easy access places) and she just took to it and its fun after watching mummy doing it a couple of times - she happily drinks water from it put formula in and she won't touch it.
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:15pm
havent read anyone elses posts but my son is 2 and he is still on bottles ..he does take sipper and normal cups when he wants but uses b ottle when he is upset and sick for comfort......it doesnt bother me how long he is on it now...i did try and wean him off but with a baby it seems a great idea...he was never on a dummy and was BF so only started bottle at 1.....as long as he is using normal cup too..dont seem like an issue to me....i know he will stop when he wants too and he can go anywhere from 8bottles to no bottles a day...but we only put about 1/4 cup of milk and the rest water so not to ruin feeding and then the rest of calcium is cheese etc
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

There are theories/research that suggests you can do damage to teeth/gums if bottles are kept long term. Dentists recommend around 12-18 months I think to get rid of them. You would probably find if you up her calcium intake in other areas (yoghurt, cheese etc) that you can take away the bottles, or just reduce to 1.

As for sippy cup, just start doing it - she'll either drink it or she won't.

yeah they said that about dummy too and now they change there mind.........its the way they suck with the teat pushing there teeth if they hold it correctly and suck correctly then its not an issue
pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 9:51pm
DS has a bottle after breakfast, milk in a cup mid afternoon after his sleep and a bottle at night before bed.

Im going to cut out the afternoon one soon but we are shifting house and daycare so will let him settle in first before he stops this. I don't want too many changes for him all at once. I have noticed he mucks around with them sometimes so may be going to stop himself soon anyway.

He eats heaps so its not taking away from his food intake at all.

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 11:18pm
Caden has 2 bottles a day sometimes 3 depending.

He used to have one at breakfast but he just dicks around with that one, so now he has it at his nap time, and then another bottle at bedtime at night.

If he is grumpy or upset etc then he often has some milk as it calms him down.

Post Reply Post Reply