FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked14 month old started hitting!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TansP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TansP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14 month old started hitting!
    Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:26pm
Jaye has just started hitting! When he has had enough to eat or dosen't want you to take something from him he with start hitting or slapping. He has also started doing it to people who are holding him if he wants down!
How do we stop this?? Have tried the patient, calm "Mummy doesn't like it when you hit" approach and the stern "NO" approach. We don't want to smack his hand or anything like that as that would be a huge mixed message.

Sponsored Links

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:46pm
Sam went through a phase of doing this and even now he will still do it occasionally.

I usually grab the hand he has hit with and hold it firmly (not so it hurts) and look him directly in the eyes and say sternly 'we do NOT hit'.    Then I explain to him why we don't hit.   It doesn't scare him but it sort of makes him look at me like 'woah, ok, that's not ok'.    He is nearly 2 and a half though so I can sort of reason with him.

I would just keep doing what you're doing and explaining that we don't hit, or that it's not ok to hit.   Eventually they get it!   
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:16am
at that age it isnt really a hit... more of a flap casue they dont have any other way to communicate. You could try giving him another way of showing his frustration instead... but yeah saying no we dont hit works for me ... it will take a while before they really get it tho.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:09am
It takes a while, but persevere. we went through a "delightful" stage where Jake would smack anything that looked at him funny, or came too close. He whacked random kids at the warehouse and once, s doctor at the hospital.

charming.

We just took him aside, and said it hurts and that we don't hit in our house. worked...eventually,
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:18am
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

He whacked random kids at the warehouse and once, s doctor at the hospital.

charming.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is kinda funny and reminds me of Sam, who likes to go up to random kids at the mall and pull any zippers down or undo any buttons that they happen to have on them.   
jimbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 9:10pm
my wee fella does it too. He's now 26 months, and it's certainly not as often as he used to, but quite embarrassing when it happens. he did it to a child at the playground today, pushed him, and hit him cos he was on the slide, and my boy wanted to be. He knows now that it's not okay, and we ended up leaving cos he wouldn't say sorry. I'm starting to get really tough on it now. Earlier, we did the "we don't hit" thing very sternly, put him away from us (ie on the floor if he'd been on our knee etc). Good luck! It seems to be a pretty common thing.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 9:28pm
I do the opposite of Jimbob - I actually gather him close in. After grabbing the hand and saying a firm "we don't hit", I then put him on my knee, hold him tight (not that tight!) and say "We don't hit, it hurts, you need to stay with mum for a minute. you can't hit people". He looks at me solemnly then I let him off after about 30 seconds.
Mum to two wee boys
 Post Reply Post Reply