FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby not gaining any weight..Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby not gaining any weight..Help
    Posted: 26 November 2009 at 6:13pm
My baby girl is 12 weeks old and yesterday we had a weigh in and she has not gained any weight from her last visit which was 2 weeks ago.
I feed her on demand and when I express I get alot of milk off so I really ont think its my supply. Could it be fat content in milk? I love breastfeeding and really dont want to have to give it up. I am supplementing with 100ml expressed breastmilk everyday so waiting till next week to see if she has has a gain.
ANy advice would be greatly appreciated.

N.B Zara was born 4.4kg and is now 5.4kg
Sponsored Links

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 6:49pm
Ok, if you put aside the not gaining thing, is she happy and healthy?

Also are you eating well? Good meals, lots of snacks and enough water go a long way to making sure you have good rich milk.

Make sure you're only feeding off one side at a feed to make sure she is getting lots of the fatty hind-milk.

We have a few mums on our site that are trained in this area, I'm sure you'll get lots more good advice.
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 8:56pm
Flutterby has raised a good point, weight aside, does she seem happy and healthy to you? Having plenty of wet and dirty nappies, sleeping OK (as OK as a 3mo baby does anyay) and seems satisfied after a feed?

It's still within the range of normal for a little baby to plateau every now and again, there is definitely nothing wrong with your milk, and if you keep up the demand feeding plus a good diet and plenty of fluids you should be fine.

You could also have a go at "block feeding" which is a technique that can help to try and increase the amount of hindmilk baby is getting, basically to offer often but have bub drink only from one side for a 3 hour block, then switch breasts. Google 'breastfeeding block feeding' for more information if you are unsure.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 9:50pm
Yea Zara is such a happy little girl, she was born with Hypothyroidism which in her case means she was born without a thyroid which made her sleepy and she also had persistent jaundice which made it difficult for her to gain weight when she couldnt even stay awake to feed in the early days. Know that she has her thyroxine levels at normal she should be gaining weight like every other baby.
Im eating really well and I always drink at least 2 liters of water every day.
Thanks for the advice i think i will give the block feeding a go.
With her feeding I do feed her off both sides because she pulls off when she is finished and wont go back on the same breast. As I said before I do feed Zara on demand but she only really feeds every 3 hours so in that case would I feed on the same side for a couple of feeds?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 9:57pm
It is also important to take note of wether she has grown in length as well. when she was weighed they should have measured her length and head circumference too.

every other baby doesnt always put on weight all the time either.

Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 10:05pm
Her length was measured and she has grown 3 cm and her head grew 1cm.
BlaBla_152 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlaBla_152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 11:15pm
I had the same sort of problem exept my son was losing weight. I had to go to the hospital. Turned out just like my mother with me my breast milk wasn't nutrience enouth so at 2 months we had to change to formula. Since then though I have learnt of things that can help. Drinking full cream milk, theres a BF tea that weleda make that you can get at the chemist or health stores, Taking women multi, drinking cranberry juice ect.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 10:00am
Laurz, my DD didn't put on anything between 8 & 12 weeks. She was however happy, healthy etc and my Plunket Nurse wasn't too worried about it at all. She had however gained in length & head circum.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Laurz_20 Laurz_20 wrote:

Her length was measured and she has grown 3 cm and her head grew 1cm.

there you go then.. shes getting longer, not fatter! and brainier!! thats great growth, weight isnt everything!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 12:08pm
Yep, I'm with Bizzy on this, your baby is growing beautifully - obviously the food was used for a growth spurt in length! And I just wanted to say, it sounds like you're doing a super job. Don't worry too much, I bet next time bubs is weighed there will be a gain.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:09pm
They worry more about if their heads don't grow, because that means they're not developing as quickly.

Both my kids have had gaining issues but apparently both myself and DH did too. So may pay to check family history too, she was born quite big so she might just be evening off a bit.
Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 8:04am
Well thought I would update. Zara has gained 150gm since I last posted. Still topping up with 100ml per day of expressed breastmilk. Plunket are still saying that everythings ok. She has grown 2 cm in 2 weeks and her head is growing fine. Im really worried I am going to have to FF (not that there is anything wrong with FF, I just made a goal for myself that I would feed Zara until she was 1).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 8:38am
YAY she's gaining! (and growing well!) If plunket are saying everything's ok then I'd agree with them (they will push for FF if they think the child will do better on it). Sounds like she's growing tall!

Stick with breastfeeding - it really sounds like you want to. I'm still BF my daughter (17 months old) and while she's not chubby, she's very healthy. Keep in mind those growth charts are based on all babies (the majority of which are FF) and BF babies tend to be lighter.
 Post Reply Post Reply