FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo Frustrated(BF’ing)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Frustrated(BF’ing)
    Posted: 14 December 2009 at 10:09am
For the first month Isabella breastfed so well, she would suckle away happily for about 10 to 15 mins, then she randomly started to fuss at the breast, she wouldn't latch on or it took me a while to latch her on, once she was latched she would only suck for a little while before she got all annoyed and would pull off and cry, I thought my supply was possibly a bit low so I started taking the Milk Flow Pills and having complan and that seemed to help and she fed well again, but that was short lived!
She started fussing again, and one day I was so upset and angry from it I sent DH into town to buy some formula, so we gave her a bottle and she drunk that happily!

Also, she was diagnosed with Reflux about a month ago and that's effected her feeding too, she is on Losec for that now.

So, now she is breast and bottle fed, and I don't think that the mix of bottle and breast is what the problem is cos she was doing this before we introduced a bottle. I know I have plenty of milk because when I squeeze my nipple it squirts out!
So what she does now, is roots around frantically, suck suck suck pull off cry! and so on and so forth! So she wants to feed, but once she starts to she gets angry and kicks out and cry's, even though there's heaps of milk there, id understand if there was bugger all coming out, but I can hear her getting a mouthful and swallowing before she pulls off and crys.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm just so frustrated as I want to try and faze out the bottles and get her back fully on the breast but I keep caving and giving her one cos I am SOOO tired and exhausted from all the crying and the reflux and I know Ive built a rod for my own back with giving her a bottle!

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 10:34am
i know some women who have had problems like this with a fast letdown... it all comes rushing out too fast for them.   apparently the kellymom website has some good info on this.

you could also try to hand express a bit off before you latch her on so she doesnt have to work so hard - in case that is the problem too.

Edited by Bizzy

MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 10:49am
Hun, it'll get better. I think you should probably call the lady from La Leche and see if you can meet with her, I'm pretty sure she'll be able to see you outside of their normal meeting time if that works, otherwise you can take Caden down too cause the other mummies usually have their kids there.

Do you have the page in the front of the wellchild book about who to contact for support? There is a list of LC's in there too, if you don't have it let me know and you can have mine (it was just a little printoff from Cathi). My cousin dealt with a lady called Susan from B4Baby (Turuki Health Care) and their number/s are 09 275 5788 and 0800 242 229.

And you are doing an amazing job with 2 young kiddies, never forget that!!!!!
Lisa mummy to Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:00am
That's what I wondered Deb, cos it does seem like she gets a big mouthful and pulls off annoyed cos she cant keep up, and I can squirt the milk out when I squeeze my nipple, it comes out fast! I'll have a look at the kellymom site thanks!
I also hand express a bit first and that seems to help too, cos it often takes a a bit for her to get the milk to come down, but when it does it comes down fast.

Thanks Lisa Yeah I'm going to ring the Maternity hospital and see when they finish up for the year, Cathi said they may have(spoke yo her on FB)

I am going to feed her as much as I can as well, so that she gets used to feeding off me all the time so hopefully she forgets about the bottle lol

Edited by Sheza

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 2:35pm
Hmm just a though here, when do you feed her? I.e. when she wakes from a nap, during her wake times, before she goes for naps?? The reason I ask is cos Jackson will get fussy like what Bella does when hes tired and there is no amount of trying I do to try to latch him that works until he's had a nap.

Also, do you feed Bella on demand or do you do Feed play sleep or similar? Could she be filling up on your foremilk rather than your hind fatty milk and only satisifying her thurst rather than her hunger?

Hang in there hun your doing a great job
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 4:16pm
I feed her when she wakes up from a nap and also just on demand. She wouldn't latch n properly at one point only had a little drink, so i put her to bed and she slept about 40mins, then up and had another feed then a play, and Ive tried to keep on the breast as long as I can so she gets the hind milk too

Today I have managed t just breastfeed her, no formula top ups or full bottles etc, all booby!
She has actually been very very good today, I'm so pleased!

I've found if I feed her in my bedroom(if cadens not up) with the curtains shut she feeds a lot better, and Ive just fed her heaps today to get her used to just having boob again.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:31pm
I had a fast let down at the start and I found it helped to feed reclining back in a chair and with him slightly upright (so instead of horizontally across me, I put him at a 45 degree angle GWIM?)
Also, put her on and as soon as the let down starts, unlatch her and "leak" into a towel and then put her back on.

good luck
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 12:07am
Yeah cat napping doesnt help thats for sure. I try not to feed off both breasts more than once in a 2 hour period IYKWIM. A MW said to me that your boobs need that time to replenish your supply so bubs gets the hind milk at the next feed. So when Jackson wakes I feed of one boob for as long as possible then wind him then give him the other side. And I wont feed him for another 2 hours minimum, unless I know he is still hungry (within reason of course).

Oh yes, the distraction stage. Jackson gets distracted so easily now. I always have to make sure Im somewhere quiet and where there is nothing "exciting" behind me lol

Yay for all booby today. That will help with your supply
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
 Post Reply Post Reply