FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFatal dangers of cold sores to newborns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:38am
I would actually like to apologize JodyR I didn't realize one of our members posted a link to the face book site, and that's what brought you here. I wrongly assumed that you were simply searching the net and telling people off for making comments.

I agree with aprilfools that you can't control what people say on the net but obviously you were directed here by one of our members who meant well and you were standing up for your friend who has been through so much already :( Anyway I just wanted to apologize again for jumping the gun and assuming the worst.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Sponsored Links

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:49am
So you would rather us not get coldsores so our babies die too. thanks
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 12:27pm
Lisa85 - thanks. No I wish I had the time to spend on the net all day but with a nine month old it's a few minutes when he's sleeping. Even if I did have time, I wouldn't give myself an impossible task like that but this situation was kind of thrust back at Charlotte and those of her friends who support her group. It's really kind of you to apologise and I'd like to return it by saying we didn't mean to jump in and attack but knowing Charlotte personally makes it hard to explain how genuine she is and how hurt she has been without it getting personal if that makes sense.

HuntD - no I just think that this is not a funny situation and that your comment was not appropriate to it, neither is this most recent one because clearly that is not what I was saying.

Again, I don't want to turn these threads into an argument that takes away from the real situation, a baby has died and a grieving mother is trying to raise awareness and the seriousness of that issue just doesn't go with off the cuff 'jokes' that have been linked back to her and hurt her feelings.

Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 12:28pm
I personally actually think it is better for someone to come on and ask the question and be given proof than to read something like this assume it's a hoax and not pass the message on. My opinion though.

Can I also point out I'm not annoyed at anyone for vouching for their friend just the way some of it was directed. We don't know who is genuine and who is not until we have some proof so to speak. Just because you are genuine doesn't mean people will automatically know.

I'm a bit peeved actually that this didn't make news here when that stuff about bonjela did. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Will have to find the thread about it but there was a possibility that it could cause a disease but never had.

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:20pm
Again, I don't want to turn these threads into an argument that takes away from the real situation, a baby has died and a grieving mother is trying to raise awareness and the seriousness of that issue just doesn't go with off the cuff 'jokes' that have been linked back to her and hurt her feelings.

[/QUOTE]

agreed , can we move on from this bit, Whether or not insensitive comments where intended, I think its really sad that a baby has died and if this prevents even one baby or family from suffering the same fate its a good thing. Its clearly not a hoax so lets just give support where we can

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
tejmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by HUNTD HUNTD wrote:

So you would rather us not get coldsores so our babies die too. thanks

What a very mature response!!!!

I would never wish a baby dying on anyone, as the Mother of a fullterm still born, i know the heartbreak this devastation brings but that response was so selfish.

A member brought the HSV to your attention and all you have to write are selfish and quite rude comments!!

My Mother once said if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing.

My advice to you, not that you will take it is to keep your comments to yourself and maybe use a little something called tact next time you write a comment about a sensitive topic.

Google the Why17 project that SANDS has been promoting and maybe you will see how many babies die a day and why us Angel Mums do our bit to keep our Angels and other Angels memories preserved and raise awareness.

Victoria~ Mummy to Taylor Deakin born sleeping July 2007.

Edited by tejmummy
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:58pm

tejmummy - I am sorry for your loss. But I am interested as to why you felt the need to step into this arguement, clearly you are not a regular member of this community and as you have said yourself "if you dont have anything nice to say..."

In this forum we are VERY VERY supportive of our angel mummies, and none of us would ever try to minimise the pain related to the loss of a child.

We live in a technological age where if you partake in the internet world, be it on FB, Twitter, a forum - or whatever - then you are opening yourself (or at least your words) to all those who can read. Their opinions may differ from yours, their views may differ from yours, their humour may differ from yours, their agenda may differ from yours....but you cannot CONTROL any of these things. If you dont like the thought of someone having a differing point of view / opinion then DONT post in the first place. We are never all going to think the same way and wouldnt it be a boring world if we did.

Edited by SimSam
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:59pm
very sad story, didn't know that this could happen.

it needs to be in the bounty book or thriving under 5 book that plunket hands out after birth or MW's should tell us or in antnatal classes. Everybody should know the dangers of the virus.

I kept DS2 home for the first 5 weeks as i didn't want him exposed to anything nasty, whereas all along he could have caught this from family friends e.t.c.

i have never had a cold sore, when does it not affect babies after they are 3 months old??? or are they at risk longer???? does anyone know?
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:12pm
I think the "issue" - indeed if there is one - is that we as a forum have been "taken in" before, by a Mum pretending to have had stillborn twins, and by another "mum of twins" and both had "friends" comign on who "knew them" and backe dup their back stories etc so we tend to be wary of newbies a wee bit, - especially with a sad story and no introduction.

I am in NO WAY accusing you of doing this AT ALL, I have just seen something on the xtra news site (or something similar I am sure) about this

I'm not doubting the story, just saying why there is a little bit of hesitancy within this online community...

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:13pm
At first I felt kinda guilty for sort of feeling responsipble for starting an argument. But then I stopped second guessing myself (I'm good at that, I always have to question everything I do) and remembered why I posted Charlotte's story in the first place. This might be rare but it happens. And I couldn't sleep after reading it, worrying that it might happen again, and that I could perhaps do my part in raising awareness.

I'd really like to ask people to take a deep breath, relax and remember we are all Mothers. And even though not all of us can truly understand what it must be like to loose a child, I certainly have to deal with a sh*t load of anxiety about the world in genera and all the 'bad things' that could/might happen to my babies on a daily basis. I only reposted to raise awareness, and let a grieving Mother know that her little girl's short life was not in vain.

I really truly feel bad, I feel bad for Charlotte, I feel bad for her friends, and for you guys too. And I hate that feeling. So please be friends and drop all the negativity. ... Please

Misunderstandings are so easy to happen in written context. I remember reading that you miss like 60 or 70% (at a guess) because that's how much comes from body language etc.

Milo1, I am not entirely sure, someone posted on here had done some research because she had done her thesis on it. I think that by 6 months baby has developed a strong enough immunity to cope?? Not sure, sorry. I will have to google. I think the best thing we can do to protect our babies is to educate our family and friends. Make sure that if they suffer form cold sores, they keep them to themselves. No kissing baby etc.
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:23pm
Yup, spent 5-6 years of my life studying herpes simplex for my doctorate! The danger in newborns comes from their immature immune systems - and in this case the fact that the poor baby had no antibodies passed along from her mother. Here is one link about HSV in newborns. I think that the risk of severe illness decreases as the baby's immune system develops to cope with the infection. I don't believe there is ever a 'safe' cutoff point, simply that as your baby's immune system matures, the risk decreases. Very young newborns would have a hard time dealing with it.

HSV-1 can be passed to the baby without any symptoms being shown in either mother/father/close family member and the baby - in fact the majority of HSV transmissions occur silently/sub-clinically. HSV-1 (coldsores) generally tends to be much less virulent and dangerous than HSV-2 (genital herpes), which is another reason why such care is taken for mothers with HSV-2 when they are giving birth, but the same is not done for HSV-1.

Obviously if you have an actual coldsore, it would be advised not to kiss the baby etc until it has healed, but be aware that even between coldsores, the virus is still being shed from your body albeit at a low level. The good thing (once again) about already having coldsores is that you will pass along antibodies to the baby via placenta and possible breastmilk.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:26pm
I suffer from coldsores and when the girls were newborn I got them a lot from the stress of newborn twins and being so run down. I was always very paranoid about passing them onto the girls but I never had any idea what damage the virus could actually do. It's so scary when you actually sit down and think about all the little things that seem so innocent but in fact can be potentially life threatening to a new born

Ems don't feel bad babe you can't control other peoples comments or reactions. Although there has been some negative comments on the whole you've helped to pass on a very valuable message. That's really what this forum is about. Sharing valuable information and advice about our kids.

MC April 2010
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:33pm
Thanks for the info Blondy :) Much more eloquently put. I only have a very basic grasp on it though Dr Google.

Thanks Lisa, I'm have been feeling a wee bit sensitive just recently. Everything's been setting me off.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:41pm
Your not preggers again already are you Ems lol

Nah I was the same for months after giving birth. I cried over the most random things :)

MC April 2010
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:42pm
hahahha NO better bloody not be! Latest irrational worry - the iud not working! I think it's the PTSD rearing its ugly head.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:45pm
just signing out of response notificaions - cant seem to do it from my email
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123