FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Safe" Takeaways/Fast Food?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MindyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 11:55am
Isnt all maccas made to order now?
My Beautiful Little Emily

We've Waited for You Forever!
Sponsored Links

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 12:06pm
I think if its a regular place you go to and you know they are clean and the food is fresh then all good - I wouldnt touch chicken from anywhere - when I was pregnant with milla i bit into a raw burger from burger king - has put me off for life let alone BK or KFC while preggers- luckily i didnt get sick but wouldnt chance it again
http://lilypie.com]
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 8:55pm
I think so MindyW but it doesn't hurt to just make sure
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 10:07pm
I ate what I wanted my last pregnancy, except chicken from KFC etc.

0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 1:45pm
oh god! we had KFC the other night...I thought it was reasonably safe because they have strict standards on keeping the food hot enough???

May 2012
M.i.s.s.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.i.s.s.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 3:53pm
im craving kfc rite now.....mmmm yum!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 4:29pm
I'd be guessing that most KFC is totally fine, 0mrs0ana0. At the same time, chicken is risky, and that's why lots of people would rather not eat it unless they'd prepared it or knew how it had been prepared. I don't eat KFC (didn't really beforehand, so no hassle there!), but if I did I'd zap it in the microwave just to be sure.

I eat chicken pizza if it's hot. I eat (hot) McD's burgers without salad and dressing etc. It appears that the types of bugs that are most likely to hurt babies can be killed by heating the life out of them, so I'll eat most piping hot things.

I have eaten Subway, because earlier, I thought it was the dressings etc in deli salads that could carry listeria. I didn't realise fresh vege that wasn't properly washed was another bad carrier - who'd ever have thought?! Obviously, I didn't pick up anything and kill Bubs, and I bet the risks are slim, but I don't now JIC.

Edited by Hopes

Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 4:33pm
It's not just the food not being hot enough that has a risk, with KFC especially, its the fact the food has been sitting there hot for a while.. So sometimes, cooking it a bit extra won't help.
And often its not sitting there at a hot enough temperature which means it'll help breed bacteria, and heating it extra won't help...

So IMO, I'd stay away from that stuff, unless you went in to the counter, and explained you were pregnant and asked them to cook a hot batch of chicken, then you can see them cooking it and know its freshly done!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Hunnybunny Hunnybunny wrote:

It's not just the food not being hot enough that has a risk, with KFC especially, its the fact the food has been sitting there hot for a while.. So sometimes, cooking it a bit extra won't help.
And often its not sitting there at a hot enough temperature which means it'll help breed bacteria, and heating it extra won't help...

I'm not sure I know about any bugs that breed up when something's held at a high heat for long periods? (Provided it is a really high heat, of course). I mean, a chicken casserole could easily cook for two hours, which would be longer than KFC would be sitting round being heated, and that's not an issue? I'm admittedly not an expert, though... but that's a new one on me.

Totally agree, food sitting round at a medium temp that's not hot enough is a sitter for breeding bugs. Nothing they'd prefer better. I'm guessing that's why most people prefer to avoid KFC, because I doubt the heated racks really are that hot.

At the same time, most bugs that did breed when the chicken was sitting warm should be killed by a good proper re-heat? Listeria would be, as would salmonella, campylobacter would as far as I'm aware, and I'm pretty sure about toxoplasma* as well... I know there are bugs that heat doesn't have a huge effect on, but they don't seem to keep popping up on the list of 'avoid while pregnant' ones. (Still, I'd avoid chicken that had been sitting at room temp too long myself, even after a re-heat, it's just kind of a reflex reaction!)

Gah, sorry for the long post. This stuff kind of interests me, I need another hobby

(*ETA that sitting warm shouldn't introduce this one anyway)

Edited by Hopes

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 4:52pm
Yep, a proper reheat is sweet, so my old midwife told me
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 6:16pm
Only places and foods i have avoided are ones that ive had food poisoning from before like Burger King in Invers other than that i havent avoided much. I wont get deli salads from the supermarket if they look like they have been sitting ages and any deli meat i will only have in a toastie but i lived on Subway toasted spicy italian subs with josh and KFC and KFC has been big on my cravings this time.

To be honest i feel so crook most of the time when im preg so if i feel like something i will eat it otherwise i end up feeling worse or dont eat at all. I also think im more likely to give myself food poisoning than eating from a takeout joint or resturant that has health restrictions in place. Just my opinions tho and they certainly arent shared with everyone.

Oh and you will find that soft cheese's are fine as in NZ they have to be pasturised which kills the bugs they just recommend eating them the day you open them if having them cold. Store brought dressings like mayo are also ok because they are pasturised. Blue cheese's are out because of the mould.
AliceM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 8:19pm
Awesome information, thanks everyone. In the end, went for pizza minus the camembert but then I could only eat 2 pieces before I felt full Although they were 2 damn tasty pieces!
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 8:49pm
Has anyone else noticed that they get fuller quicker?

I'm a big eater (& a big girl ) but the last 2 weeks I can't eat much, I'm eating more regularly, rather than big meals, but when I have meals I'm eating about 1/2 what I used to...

I don't have really bad MS, just a little bit of all day nausea.

I'm loving rice cakes and iceblocks though

May 2012
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 6:47am
Yep, totally. I've felt that way from quite early on, which makes me wonder why... surely that early Bubs couldn't have been getting in the road of my stomach? But I agree, my appetite dissapeared.

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 8:44am
I think its just a pregnancy thing, I've lost 10kg in both pregnancy's just from the fact I can't eat so much any more. Very depressing when you go to Lone Star and can hardly eat the meal because you drank too much before the meal came out.
This also contributes to the fact that I don't lose weight with breastfeeding because my appetite goes back to normal.
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 10:48am
Yeah I was meaning the food sitting there too long at the wrong temperature, cos I know when I've gotten chicken at KFC especially it hasn't exactly been hot
I didn't think that re-heating it would be enough, but I could be wrong, to me, I wouldn't risk it, simply cos if its been sitting there for too long, whats there to say it already hasn't gone up and down in temperature? I've seen them dump cooked chicken into the deep fryers again to get it back to piping hot

WRXandjosh, I avoid burger king too, although I've never been sick from it. I also avoid copper kettle as I got food poisoning off chicken burger there (so did my bridesmaid) we were both careful as we split the burger and both agreed the chicken was fine, turns out not so fine

I don't really trust chicken from a lot of places now!!!
Pregwithnumber1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pregwithnumber1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 5:10pm
The only takeaways I've had is fish and chips because I fugured the boiling hot oil would destroy any nasties - but I guess you can never be too sure.
The last time I ever had McDonalds was 11 years ago when I had a salad burger after school (I'm vego) and then got the WORST food poisoning I've ever had in my life. I had to get a special injection to stop me vomiting from A&E. It was then that I found out unwashed veges can carry nasties like E Coli, Samonella and Listeria. Nasty!!
For that reason I only have F&C - no pre-made stuff or burgers or anyting like that. I'm pretty sure Pizza is ok though, becuase those veges are cooked and there is no meat on a vege pizza.
Makes you think twice though aye!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 6:18pm
Yea, I didn't initially realise that - and I am quite interested in food safety too (from time to time, I do a bit of cooking for large crowds with our church - I live in fear I'll give the whole lot food poisoning, so try to be really safe). I always took care to wash veges etc, of course, but thought that was more about pesticides and stuff. I was kind of surprised to hear they breed up stuff like listeria!

ETA Ew about the re-fried KFC, Hunnybunny!!! That's just gross.

Edited by Hopes

MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 10:16am
Wow all this info is really interesting. So far i've stayed away from any takeaway that has chicken in it (lucky i'm not a big fan of KFC).
The takeaways i have had (BK, Mccas, Chinese) have either not sat right in my stomach or they've made me bloat. I seem to be going off anything that's too fatty or greasy. So what's left to try pizza??
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 11:38am
I dont like KFC anyways, always makes me feel sick as dog, but when I was pregnant, I didnt eat any chicken that I hadnt prepared myself, chicken that isnt cooked properly can be nasty nasty and Id rather not risk that while pregnant.

But I ate anything else lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12