FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! Weaning....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Weaning....
    Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:46am
I am debating about weaning Mr 9.5mths as I am still suffering from PND and my Dr really wants me to go on medication but I have refuses as I am still breastfeeding. Even though they claim the medication is safe to take when BF'ing I'm not prepared to take that risk so have just muddled through this past 9mths. At my last appt I got the, "you think you are doing the best for him by BF'ing but don't you think he would benefit far more from having a happy mum"

One of my main issues I have with weaning is he still wakes overnight for a feed once maybe twice and if he is sick and wakes frequently overnight the only thing that will settle him is BF so what am I suppose to do if I am FF'ing him?? He isn't a affectionate baby so refuses to be cuddled or rocked.

Dr also thought it would be good if I weaned him as it will give me a break. DH agrees and wants me to wean.

I did a list of pros and cons and there seem to be a lot more pros to weaning him but I still can't decide - why is it so hard!??
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 10:17am
Cause it's a special relationship that you have, especially if he's not a cuddly baby, it gives you the opportunity to hold him super close. Formula feeding you can still do this though.

I know BF really hinders what you can do to help with PND. Do you exercise & eat lots of seretonin producing foods?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 10:37am
there are quite a few mums on here who have had PND and taken drugs while breastfeeding. maybe you could do some more research into that side of things if you dont want to give up breastfeeding.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 10:57am
or the kellymom site there is a bit about feeding and drugs etc....

here is the link

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 11:43am
HUGS!! Weaning is hard. I "think" I want to wean but I just cant see it happening here and dont quite know how to start it either.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:43pm

((hugs)) Mrs_B- this is such a hard decision for you hun  Well done for thinking it through so carefully and hey look at the amazing start you have given bubba by BF for 9 months!! That's more than heaps of women do, so you should feel very proud of yourself.  You need to listen quietly to what your gut is saying. I know Dr and DH want what's best for you, bless them but you need to feel really ok with your decision too. If that deicison is to wean, then great. If it's to keep BF despite your PND and reluctance to take drugs (totally hear you on that btw  ), then great too...but make sure you are getting lots of support and good self care.

I also thought I had PND but found once I caught up just even a little bit of some sleep, that alot of the horrible feelings went away. I also had to make a MAJOR life adjustment to who was living in my home and prioritise Clodagh and my mental health. It wasn't an easy decision but its made life so much less stressful. I know that probably doesn't apply to you, I just mean sometimes major adjustment of rountines, patterns and behaviours are needed to get out of the hole.

Rambling now, but pls text me if you ever need a shoulder

Post Reply Post Reply