FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMastitis AGAIN :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastitis AGAIN :(
    Posted: 04 March 2010 at 8:00pm

I have just come back from the after hours Dr at the hospital and I have mastitis AGAIN.  This is the THIRD bloody time. Excsue my language.

Why? Why?

This time I"ve walked out with mega high dose of fluclox (sp) to be taken 4 times a day for 10 days but even with this amount, Dr thinks I need to review it Saturday and go to hospital for IV antibiotics (again) 

I don't understand why at this rather late stage of BF, I'm still getting this. Our hygenie is good, Clodagh drains the breast and generally I remember to alternate sides. I didnt last night and she slept longer (missing a feed) last night but still...that doesn't seem like it takes that much for me to get it

Any lactation experts here who can help tell me why?

Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 9:16pm
I had it twice with Jack (first time had to have IV antibiotics for high fever) and about 3 times so far with Ben. I understand that it has alot to do with things like stress, tiredness and that once you have had it (and especially since I have had it with Ben) that you are more prone to getting it again, sorry! Hope it clears up quickly for you
Lindsey

monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 9:48pm
I'm no expert, sorry - I'm still breastfeeding and I've had mastitis only once. However, it was when my boy was 15mo. The key factor for me was that I was run down. I'd been a bit unwell with a cold a couple of weeks prior, there was a lot going on and I just wasn't resting enough. Combined with a longer stretch at night between feeds meant mastitis for me.   

I'm guessing overall well being would make a big difference and certainly be a contributing factor to why new mums get mastitis.

Don't know if that helps you at all, but I hope you manage to avoid getting it again, it must be tough.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 8:32am
Thanks for your replies so far. So tiredness and stress make it worse or can make me more suceptible? Well I"m both of those things ...especially stressed...lately! Not feeling any worse this moring after mega dosing overnight on fluclox. But 10 days of it?!!  Still, anything better than going to hospital again

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:35pm
Try taking Vit C, either 500mg or 1000mg. My mw told me to take it when I had it the first time with Jack and it helped fight it off, I have been pretty much taking 500mg a day since then, maybe that is why when I have had it it hasn't been as bad as that first time.
Lindsey

bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 7:35pm
ive never had it... touch wood... hope it clears up and you feel better soon
QHX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QHX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:07pm

I have heard from various sources that mastitis is usually a physical symptom of exhaustion, and vitamin C should be your best friend. Take loads of it. Linzy is totally right.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:12am
Hi, thanks for your replies- I'll go get soem vit C this morning....the AB's have helped heaps but of course now I have thrush from the overload on my system...and poor baby is suffering too with sore tummy etc. Sigh.

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:48pm
I had mastitis once and I think it was because I was wearing bras (like hot milk ones) to bed as opposed to nursing camisoles (singlets with the shelf bras). The singlets are looser than the bras and have softer seams. I think the bras were fine for days but for sleeping in, it is easy to lie on one side and have seams etc digging into your boob and you can end up with blocked ducts which can cause mastitis.

Once I started just wearing the singlets to bed, I was much more comfortable and haven't had any blocked ducts or mastitis since - although bub is only 6 months old....

So what you are sleeping in could be something to look at?

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 9:22pm

Hi Stacey...I haven't worn any sort of bra to bed since Clodagh was really little...but you're right in that doing so can lead to blocked ducts

Think I'm really run down and now I have to have a big think about whether to start FF for one of the night feeds so I can catch up on at least a little of my sleeps....

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 1:17pm
Poor you, it sucks huh, I ended up with an abcess from mine (Dr put me on three rounds of antibiotics, I had mastitis for like 4 weeks....).
I don't have any advice just wanted to feel sorry for you!
to mastitis

Oct 11
Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 9:47am
Hope you're feeling better now! I've had mastitis and blocked ducts almost every month since i had DS. We are still BF but I've had four courses of antibiotics now. Not fun. I use hotwater bottles to heat the area, massage and Vit C to try and fight it. Hope this is your last bout!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 10:12am
Hi Tigerish  Wow can't believe your bubba is 6 months old already?!  Yeah this mastitis thing SUCKS the fat one but it cleared up after those horrible AB's....the end result is the ticker on the right lol  This is the 2nd time I"ve got pg after taking hardcore AB's so maybe it makes me more fertile lol.Just kidding. I'm now taking Vit C every other day in hope that it keeps mastitis away as I don't know how well I'd cope being pg, BF and being that crook.

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 3:58pm
The only other thing I can add that hasn't been covered so far, is that you might want to try a good probiotic from your local health store to help ease the impact on both yours and bubs gut from the antibiotics... I forget the brand that we used to use, but it's the one whose ads on TV have the little round green guys bouncing around all over the place

If you do end up deciding to introduce even just one FF, I'd probably also wait until after the antibiotics are finished, again just so there is not too much going on at once with your little one's digestive system (might cause more problems than it solves yk?).
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 7:30pm
having just had it i just wanted to say hugs..and those stupid Ab's made my son not sleep all day every day..*sigh*!!:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 4:39pm
Thanks for all the advice and hugs ladies! Aaaawww ohbaby is always guarenteed to make me feel better regardless

Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 8:06am
Just wanted to say congrats Emmecat! A great result from AB I say

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 7:59am

Originally posted by Tigerish Tigerish wrote:

Just wanted to say congrats Emmecat! A great result from AB I say

lol thanks! this is the second one concieved on AB's lol

Post Reply Post Reply