FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are we entitled to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are we entitled to?
    Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:21pm
I know about WFF once baby is here

About the $1000 tax credit (which is after bub is born right? We get it through IRD? Is this income tested at all? Do we need bub IRD number for this too? What does it mean by "tax credit", do we get the money or how does it work?)

Also, what entitlements is DH allowed when baby comes? I don't work-so I won't be getting PPL. He is wanting to take a week off (maybe 2 depending on $$$) I think somewhere I read he can have 2 weeks, is this unpaid? Or can he get PPL if I'm not taking it? If he gets PPL can we still get the tax credit?

Sorry I know these questions have probably been asked, but searching and I can't find anything on what DH is entitled to, and nothing seems to explain the tax credit in really lame-mans terms for me to understand.

Writing up a budget to try and see how much time DH can have off (I'm guessing his leave will be unpaid? He doesn't have any annual leave to take that much time off as we just got married)

Edited by Hunnybunny
Sponsored Links

didi99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote didi99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:52pm
I looked into this a while ago for a friend your DH can get the paid parental leave if you are not. DH you and his employer will need to fill out an IR881 (you can search for that number on www.ird.govt.nz)
However I do not believe you can get the $1,000 and paid parental leave as far as I'm aware it's either one or the other so I guess you will need to figure how much time DH will be taking and which option is worth more to you guys.
If you are still confused you can always give the department of labour a call 0800 209020 they are normally really good at helping answer questions like this.
Angel Babies Nov 09, May 10, Dec 10
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 6:23pm
HB - you the parental tax credit of $150 a week for 8 weeks, its not income tested through IRD - just phone them. You also get WFF which is income tested, but you can check online to estimate how much you will get

Neither of you are entitled to ppl as you arent working - DH can have time off of 2 weeks - unpaid - or regular leave if he has any

http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/keyword/wff-tax-credits/calculator-wfftc-estimate-2009.html

http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-ind/parents/parents-paid-parental-leave.html

If this is confusing phone them - they are good with this stuff

also, once baby is born see about a accom supplement through WINZ - having an idea of what you earn - I think they may help a bit

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 6:41pm
http://www.ers.dol.govt.nz/parentalleave/calculate/

Thats the link to the DOL website, it might help you out a bit. As far as PPL and the $1000 parental tax credit goes, you can only get one, not both. From what I know, your partner is only enitiled to 2 weeks paternity leave- This is dependant on how long he has worked in his job and how many hours a week.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-ind/parents/parents-parental-tax-credit.html

There is the info about the parental tax credit. If you have any questions your best bet is to ring the Department of labour and ask lots of quesions

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 6:45pm

Hey, we were in the same boat as you guys.

To start getting the parental tax credit as soon as possible after birth you need to send off the forms for WFF as soon after birth as possible. Can take up to 10 working days once they receive to start paying. Then you need to send off the forms to register the birth (once you've got all the details and decided on a name). If possible I'd apply for the birth certificate at the same time.

Once you get the birth certificate you need to apply for the child's IRD number. The IRD needs this number by the time your baby is 8 weeks old, or they stop your payments.

Libby was born on the 11th December, sent off the forms the day we decided on her name, then got our first payment on the 25th December. We ended up getting everything sorted by the time she was about 7 weeks old, even with Christmas in the middle of it all.

The parental tax credit is $150 added to your WFF payment for 8 weeks.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/9/f/9f5ff080417001a48536f741caddaf4b/ir271-2011.pdf

^ the chart to work out how much you'll get.

If you have any more questions or need talked through the process more let me know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the links guys, I haven't had much luck with Mr Google today
MIL has been getting me totally stressed out today about this stuff,so really felt I should get onto it!
I'll have a good look at the links in the morning, hopefully I won't come back with too many questions!

Is the tax credit and WFF done the same way? I thought it was 2 un-related things? Sorry I've probably picked this up wrong. Or is it just easier to do them at the same time?

Does the IRD need babys IRD number for the tax credit? Or is that for WFF?

I think we'll do the $1000, not the PPL, I love DH and all, just don't think I could put up with him for too long off work haha!

Thanks so much guys, I guess trying to do a budget and sort all this stuff in one day wasn't such a great idea
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 10:23pm
Its 1200, not 1000, and it IS income tested, just at a higher threshold than the usual tax credits. You can choose $150 per week, $300 per fortnight, or a lump sum when they do the end of year sum up (you wont get the money until June/July of the financial year AFTER baby is born, so in your case you wont get it until NEXT year if you choose lump sum.

You can start payments at any time after baby is born, and you get a grace period of 8 weeks to get baby's IRD number sorted out, if you take any longer, they cease payments until they have baby's IRD number on your file.

WFF is the same as tax credits, its a package that also includes accomodation supplement and childcare subsidy, but you apply for all 3 seperately as and when needed...

Oh and PPL is only applicable if BOTH of you are working... it can be transferred from one parent to the other, but if one parent is not entitled to PPL, then you will only have the Parental tax credit option available (assuming family income is low enough)

One of the benefits to having worked in their WFF call centre for a year, I learnt a LOT!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:25pm

I can't remember the whole criteria thing (from 13 months ago  although I DID know all the details when wee girl was born.  All I can remember now is that I made a few phone calls to IRD and WINZ and I came away quite happy at the level of knowledge and helpfulness of the people on the other end of the phone. 

There is also some info at www.dol.govt.nz - look under the Paid Parental Leave section somewhere in there - I found it helpful a year ago anyway.  There's an entitlement worksheet.

Can I add another piece of financial advice - some people do this - some people don't.  But if you set your child up with Kiwisaver they get the $1,000 Govt kickstart.  That $1,000 earns interest while the child grows up - so the earlier the better.  There are various pros and cons you will need to consider for your own situation.

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:49am
Hunnybunny I was reading this because when it comes to you I'm nosey lol....I have oly just clicked we're in very similar situations I'm not working, DH is, we won't be entitled to PPL, but I can do this whole taz credit thing!

FB me if you want some more budget help. I have an idea for you, kinda. Well I do, just dunno how to explain it yet lol
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:51am
Flake, its ok, I'm nosy when it comes to you aswell

Hhmm, I'm guessing all these amounts will go off the last financial year, which will be the one that finishes this month? If so, that'll be GREAT as DH earned way less this year than last... Or do they take a average of the last few years? I guess they'd presume that each year you earn more. I notice all the calculators ask for your TOTAL earnings for the earn, so that includes his overtime, on call allowance, tool allowance, employers contribution to kiwisaver and all of that jazz? On his paysheet its got "gross year to date"-do i use that amount?

For the Tax credit I can't seem to find anywhere that it says what the income cut off is? For when it'll start reducing the payments?? Or is that the one shadowfeet put up? There it says SOME of it is income tested, some of it isn't..

Wow, are they just TRYING to confuse people lol. Or maybe its just me being duuumb
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 12:29pm
They only look at the taxable income for the last year, or in the case of WFF they want you to estimate how much you will earn for the year. It is much better to over estimate because at the end of the next financial year you will get a credit rather than a bill.

Your best bet is to ring IRD about WFF and the parental tax credit- They are a great help and can get you on the right track. Once you know what your doing get all the paperwork filled out ready for when bubs is born, then send it away asap so you can start receiving the payments. Ask them to send you the WFF tax credits registration pack- it has all the forms

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:25pm

Hey :)

You have to estimate your income for the year that bubs is born in (ie the next financial year starting next month). Some people find it hard to estimate income in advance, especially if you change jobs or have variable hours, so they choose the bulk payment at the end of the financial year when income is confirmed. Yup, you'd use gross year to date, but estimated forward for the next year.

The income cut-off amounts is the link I put up. If you need help interpreting it, or want someone to figure it out for you PM me.

Oh, if you call them, make sure not to believe them when they say you can fill in the forms and send them in before bubs is born then call to update with bubs details. They told me that and I sent in the forms only to have them sent back

Post Reply Post Reply