FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorking during maternity leave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working during maternity leave
    Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:07am
I am currently on maternity leave with my employer for one year in total. Does anyone know if I wanted to work from home part time with another employer during this time that I am able to legally? (My PPL will have run out by the time I started and the leave I would be on would be unpaid).

I don't want to annoy my current employer but as I am unable to do any work from home with them, I don't feel it would be an issue with them.
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:21am
Unless you have a clause in your employment agreement stating otherwise, nothing in the Act precludes you from working for another company while on extended leave, your position still has to be kept open for the time you have requested extended leave.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:25am
Thanks lilfatty

Wow looking at your ticker - to lose 24kg is amazing well done!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 11:45am
Yip, what lifatty said!

I am a school teacher and work for my school and other schools doing relief while on mat leave. I also do reception for a Real Estate company. Its a great way of earning some money and trying new things.
ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:04pm
You can work for another employer, but as you already have a primary employer, beware that you should be taxed at a secondary rate, even though you're not getting an income from the first employer.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrates-codes/earning-income-secondary-special-codes.html

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 7:50am
You can work for another employer but if you do any work for your current employer you are deemed to have 'returned to work' and this can be difficult if you want to return to your old job and they don't have a role for you.

Lots of people actually change jobs during their maternity leave period then wait until just before they are due back to their old role to resign. Often this is because they have found part time work or work from home that suits them a bit better.
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 6:45pm
Yep - I know a nurse who does weekend shifts while she's on mat leave. Helps pay their mortgage!
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 9:37pm
Thanks for all the responses!

On the tax thing jaz - as this would be my main source of income (until I return to my other job in Jan), wouldn't the tax code still be M & once I return to work, whichever role brought in more income would be taxed at the secondary rate? I think maybe I have interpreted it wrong on the IRD website....
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 9:43pm
I am slightly stressing about that now too, Monkey33.

Although I did work part time in a different job while on Mat Leave with #1 and just paid normal tax and never got followed up at the end of the tax year when I filed my refund.
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 9:52pm
That's good to know peanut! Am sure it would have been brought up when you filed your refund if you owed them any $$.

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:23am
I can't see how you would pay secondary tax if you had a different job while on maternity leave. I thought secondary tax was only if you were doing two jobs at once. You can look at the IRD330 form for instructions though, this is the one you complete for your employer and there will be a copy on the IRD website.
 Post Reply Post Reply