FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBLW and constipation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLW and constipation
    Posted: 13 March 2010 at 6:02pm
Ben is constipated . He hasn't been complaining of a sore tummy but he is not having enough dirty nappies. I had been giving him a prune to chew on with his breakfast every few mornings and water with each meal as well as in between if he wanted it but that obviously hasn't worked. I will give him some prune juice with each meal tomorrow (and did at tea tonight) and see how we go, however I don't want to keep doing this long term.
It was easier with Jack as I just added a little prune juice to his mush for the first few months till his system got used to food.

So any advice on how to prevent constipation with BLW?

Edited by Linzy
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:04am
unless you are giving him lots of food to block him up then i would think he isnt constipated. Just cause he isnt pooping a lot doesnt mean he is. when he does poo what are they like?    none of my kids got constipated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:26am
Very small, quite firm (they stay stuck between his bum cheeks (sorry TMI) and he seems to strain alot (more than I would class as normal) and then doesn't always poo when he does strain.
When just bf he had dirty nappies every 2-3 days, when he actually started swallowing food it was every nappy for a few days then slowed down to 1-2 times a day. Now it is hardly anything and only every 2nd day or so

ETA: oh it is hard to tell really how much he eats as it goes everywhere. But he is offered 3 meals a day and sometimes an afternoon snack

Edited by Linzy
Lindsey

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:39am
DD went through a stage of being constipated, well, hard round poos that she had to strain harder to get out. BUT she didn't seem any more upset about it, I just made sure she had plenty of fruit (she always has eaten heaps) and heaps of water. She went off kiwifruit (although when she liked it, it worked a charm!). Then, it just went away, back to normal again about a month ago.

It was hard not to think about it, but that's all you can do. Don't freak too much, it's just his body doing something differently (maybe he needs more out of the food he's taking in, so less waste).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 12:11pm
Actually his fruit intake has dropped off since summer fruit started to decline. Will try and increase how much I am giving him and see how that goes, thanks
Lindsey

Jackie86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 2:19pm
I’m having this problem but my little mans only 4 weeks old he’s on a bottle with EBM and formula the last few days (EBM slowly decreasing trying to work on getting it back up) he's been doing very hard marbles and seems to be in a bit of pain I’ve rang MW but she hasn’t got back to me regarding if I should give him cooled boiled water as I don’t know if how much to give him or if I give it before or after the feed.

nztui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nztui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 12:54pm
Are you breastfeeding? You could try drinking somethng like a Kiwi Crush yourself and see if that helps - it might pass through your milk and get things going. It's what I try anyway!
Jackie86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:49am
Thanks for that nztui will try it

Post Reply Post Reply