FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdjusting diet for BF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting diet for BF?
    Posted: 17 March 2010 at 5:27pm
I've been dairy free for 10 days in the hope it would help DD's reflux. She's been a bit better, but not a lot. Although she hasn't got worse at least.

My question is, after 2 weeks, I'd like to reintroduce dairy to see if it makes any difference. How do I go about this? Plunket suggested I try avoiding it, but didn't actually tell me how to go about reintroducing it.

Do I drink 1 glass of milk and wait for a certain period (how long?) or do I go back to eating it regularly - usually cereal for breakfast and maybe a bit of cheese at lunch. How long might it take to see a reaction?
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 12:19pm
I just did a soy challenge on my boy.

What I did was have some soy ice cream & then waited to see how long it would appear in him, if at all.

We had an epic fail!

I ate a normal serve at about 9 at night, within 15 mins I was wheezing & had to take my inhalor then I woke the next morning with a massive headache & felt like crap & didn't want to go far from the house.

The first he feed off me was 6am the next morning. He'd slept through. About 6pm he did the most aweful poo which I delegated to DH & then discovered it had gone down his legs. He also didn't sleep the whole night. Skin was red through the nappy area as well, where as earlier during the day it was nice & pink. Not sure what is going to happen today.

What I had planned on doing was having some ice cream each night & see what happened. We both reacted so quickly that I've knocked that on the head. The other thing I was going to do was drink a glass of soy milk at lunch time. I might give that a go next week & see how he goes with that, although I'm really unsure about it.

So I would start just by drinking a standard glass of milk each day & see how she goes. Based on what happened to me you should see a reaction in 24 hours. Drink one glass at the same time each day & see what her tolerance level is. It could take a few days? If I had dairy usually the next day or two I'd see some chunky spilling. But I usually only have a one off sneaky of something dairy.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 12:36pm
Thanks Kel, will try that then. We are still getting chunky spills anyway

Your poor wee boy, and poor you! I hope you get this figured out soon.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 12:42pm
Do you eat much potato?

I had to cut dairy out in absolutely everything. What else are you eating in case I can see something obvious.
Kel

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 1:43pm
I know that when introducing the food directly to the child they normally recommend introducing in baking first and that's how I went about it when I reintroduced it into my own diet whilst BFing. You might find that you can get away with eating baking but not with having a glass of milk, I would start with the baking for a few days, then maybe introduce milk in the tea/coffee then a bit of cheese/yoghurt and basically keep going till you either see a reaction at which point you know it's too much or you will find no difference and can be sure dairy isn't to blame.

I found i was able to have a bit of milk in tea/coffee and bits and pieces here and there in baking and that was ok, but whenever I had a bit more, like a milky milo or some cheese then he would start reacting again.

They recommend cutting out for two weeks cos it can take that long for the damage to repair and when introducing they say to use the 4 day rule, as sometimes you need a build up of the food before a reaction happens. So baby might be ok with a bit of dairy every few days but eat it for days in a row and they react.

I hope all that makes sense.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 2:45pm
Ok, so reintroducing dairy was an epic fail! I ended up defrosting the dairy-free BM in the freezer because she was screaming constantly at the boob

What's the problem with potato? I don't eat very much potato, but will probably eat more if I'm going dairy free as I'll have to rethink a fair few of our regular meals.

I eat bread most days. Other than that, just fruit and veges from the garden mostly. I try and not eat heaps of one thing on any one day. Oh, and we eat plenty of meat, but it's *proper* homekill meat, not processed full of stuff so I doubt it's that.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 3:12pm
Doesnt bread contain dairy? ...
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 5:05pm
Not all bread Julia AND i just discovered NW has dairy free hot crossed buns!!!!!

Potato can cause reflux as well. I first noticed this when weaning. He ate a cube of peas & potato, it all went down his gob & I was thinking yay & then he threw it all up! I have noticed if I have a lot of potato he also is really unsettled. Small amounts seem ok in our case. Just be aware of it just in case.

I eat a lot of toast with golden syrup Countdown has dairy free & bad preservative free bread, there basic white loaf & their wholemeal loaf.

I also have porridge for breakfast & sometimes Pams wheat biscuits, but you'd have to see if she reacts to wheat first. Salada crackers are dairy free as well.

If you need a creamy pasta dish like I do, just make a white sauce with rice milk & add in one teaspoon of salt & it tastes like a cheese sauce. I throw this over pasta & it's wonderful
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply