FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeaning and milk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaning and milk
    Posted: 22 March 2010 at 7:55pm
I really want to wean Cuinn - I've hated breastfeeding from the start and 14 months down the track, I'm getting really twitchy about it, but the Cuinn hasn't taken a bottle, or really even a sippy cup (I tried from 6 weeks (the time our antenatal class told us to start ... Plunket told us after the fact that we should have tried much earlier!) through to 11 months, I had hundreds of dollars worth of bottles and sippy cups, and tried everything I could think of to 'break' him), and now that he takes a cup, he won't drink any other form of milk. We've tried formula (admittedly just Nutricia), normal cows milk, putting stuff in the milk (eg milo) .... I don't want to cold turkey him off all milk because, my own feelings aside re breastfeeding, he needs it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what we could maybe try? We may have tried it already, but suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Sponsored Links

Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 8:20pm
My little girl doesn't like milk, well didn't... I started by putting just a little bit in her cereal, and once she got used to that she then seemed to be fine about drinking milk from a cup. She's still breastfed as well, I think sometimes it just takes awhile for them to adjust to it, same as with any new food/taste.
~Cassie~
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:07pm
i would - even tho i know you said you dont want to - just go without it. so long as he is getting calcium from other sources he doesnt really need it. or if you are really worried about milk put it in other things, like mashed potato, cramy bacon and egg pie, on his cereal, in his porridge.

oh and woohoo to 14 months!

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:29pm
go you on 14months! you have done well chick...especially with not enjoying it!

I have just been to plunket today and that was one of my questions because Rory hates to drink milk too, and like you have tried all that aswell.
I do manage to get it into him in porridge for breakfast, mashed potato etc and he eats yoghurt cheese, custard I make him etc

So I asked the nurse how much he should be having and she said 3 servings a day and she said for example a serving of milk is 150mls (this can be hidden in foods such as breaky etc), 2 slices of cheese and a whole adult yoghurt and thats enough for the day.

hope that helps and good luck weaning him

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 12:10am

Well done on 14mths!

I still struggle to get Oli to drink cows milk, so cant offer any miracle advise, but we have found that mixing formula with cows milk is working slowly. I mix half and half and am slowly adjusting the ratio's, maybe try mixing breast milk with cows milk and see if he will take it?

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 9:19am
Good on you for sticking with it for 14mths! You could try the toddler milk as it supposedly taste like vanilla?? Not sure what brand though...hang on let me investigate...
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 9:27am
Okay s26 it the brand that make vanilla. flavoured formula.

To savewasting money having to try 10 different formulas to see if he likes them, if you go to all the different formula company websites you can request samples of their product and they often send you other free stuff too

S26
Karicare
Nurture
Nestle Nan

This is quite a good article on weaning. Good luck!
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 4:02pm
Thanks everyone!    Another problem we're having is that he's now refusing stuff with much in the way of calcium (well, dairy based calcium) in it - eg. cheesy vegetables, yoghurt and it seems it makes him feel off - if he doesn't refuse it outright, sometimes he's sick.

I've just picked up rice and soy milk at the supermarket today and thanks Mrs-B for the website links - I'll give that a go too! There weren't any small sachets at the supermarket this arvo.

I'm a bit crap at expressing SimSam, but I might try the half and half idea and see how we get on.

I more or less didn't give him his top up feed before his first sleep today and although there was some serious hollering, he wasn't really all that interested anyway.

Blooming kids!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

i would - even tho i know you said you dont want to - just go without it. so long as he is getting calcium from other sources he doesnt really need it. or if you are really worried about milk put it in other things, like mashed potato, cramy bacon and egg pie, on his cereal, in his porridge.

oh and woohoo to 14 months!

I very much second this. Truely if he has a varied diet with lots of veges etc, then don't worry too much about it. And please, please do NOT waste your money on follow on formulas, they are a crock of sh*t. Money saved on this bunch of you really don't want to know what goes in this sh*t etc is money more shoes!
(
Jus grdually introduce it to his diet in breakfast etc. If he has taken a bottle before, just give it to him in that. Dont' get hung up on pluncket says no bottles, seriously, in the world of parenting, bottles are the least of your worries... dirty secret here, miss 3 only stopped having a bottle of (cows) milk on her 3rd birthday - only way she would have milk. She was also resistant to cows milk, but eventually realised that was all that was on offer, so...

Best luck, you have done so, so well. xxxx
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply