FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why?
    Posted: 27 March 2010 at 11:02am
New to the whole nappy debate and just wanted to get some opinions from mum's.
I never even knew how popular cloth nappies are and have never even considered using them. Have done a little bit of reading about them and looked at some online and in a shop.

I just wanted to know the main reasons for why you are using cloth vs disposable. Also be interessted to hear who prefers using disbosables and why.

So far I've come up with the following pros and cons

Cloth
+ cheaper in the long run
+ apparently better for nature
+ better for baby but why?
- more prone to leakage
- baby needs changing more often
- more washing, scrubing, drying, folding, storage
- much less convinient
- most people still use disposable as well
- where do you keep smelly nappies till you wash them?

Disposable
+ less nappy changes needed
+ convinient
- bad for babies skin, I'm not really sure why

Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
Sponsored Links

Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 11:13am
I love my cloth nappies and find they are just so much nicer. Lauren hates the feel of disposables after being a cloth baby, and has only ever had a nappy rash while wearing disposables (earlier, before I went 100% cloth).

I've also only ever had major poo leaks with disposables, never with my cloth nappies (in regards to your more leaks comment), I find its easier to get a cloth nappy on straight, disposables seem to end up wonky easier and therefore I've had more leaks with them. Also, people do tend to change them less, but thats not necessarily a good thing for baby.

it can take awhile to adjust, but then if you have never done disposables you don't really know the difference. I used disposables on my eldest just because thats what she was used to (she became my daughter when she was one), but opted for cloth with our second child and theres no way I'd go back.

Disposables sit in your bin and stink up the house way more than cloth - you wash the poo down the loo and we keep all our nappies in a sealed bucket. That said, I wash every day, so the smell never gets bad at all. Once I got the wash cycle down to a fine art it is so easy! and you never run out of nappies (which always seemed to happen with disposables).

Definitely personal choice, but I'd never go back to disposables, there is just something so nice about cloth
~Cassie~
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 12:03pm
I went MCN this time after trying to go cloth with my first daughter, the Flats got the better of me & I used them on about a 30% basis til she was 1ish?

Mine was purely cost factor. I think I've bought about 3 packets of nappies in 14 months? I've stopped my bin & are just using council rubbish bags.

I don't know how disposables are more convenient?

I just changed my son, tipped the poo down the loo & instead of putting the nappy in the rubbish I put it in the nappy bucket. Will be washed tomorrow. So the only difference is bucket vs bin, cause I do washing every day or every couple of days one load is neither here or there. If you didn't know, like I didn't you are supposed to empty disposables as well.

I'd say less changes in disposables is probably why they are not good for babies skin?

If you get a good fitting Nappy, & there a hire kits so you can see what you like, then you won't have leakage. For night use I can't go past the Bitti Boo with a thirsties cover. I have a super weer as well. Way trimmer than the packed pocket I did use.

There is the down fall of the initial cost outlay, but March & Sept are great for discounts if you do the Nappy hunts. But if you add up what you save in the long run.................way cheaper

I also look after a little girl as well, she is in the same nappies as my boy but her Mum uses disposables over night. She does this mainly cause she hasn't got night nappies & the baby does a poo in the morning so she prefers that it goes in there not in her nappies so she doesn't have to clean them. Me I just scrape off what I can & the washing machine does the rest
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 12:05pm
OH & I find it so easy to figure if bubs needs a change, I just put my finger in the nappy to the flap part inside, if it's dry no change, wet needs a change. Disposables....I have no clue !!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 12:05pm
On the leak front I think they are about equal really. In sposies poo is way easier to escape in my experience. But it can take a few attempts to make sure you have the fit right with cloth.

As for changing more often, again not true. It really depends on the type of nappy you use. Pockets for example you can put more in them so they last longer.

I used cloth on Daniel until I got morning sickness with Jared now we use sposies, with toilet training I find sposie pull ups easier than cloth, we don't go through much at all so the cost doesn't bother me so much but when they are going through a few naps a day the cost of sposies really sucks and adds up fast
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 12:08pm
Right , I'll do lists too

Cloth

+ Much, much cheaper.
+ Never run out and have to try to find the money for more nappies.
+ Cute!
+ I'm able to tailor make pockets up for specific situations - eg More padding for naps so I don't have to wake a sleeping baby for changing.
+ Less waste
+ Better for babies skin because I don't need to use barrier creams
+ Helps with toilet training as baby is more aware of wetness.
+ Easy to care for - MCN's just go through the machine like clothing does. Just need an extra rinse.
+ No ongoing costs.
+ I'm able to treat our family with the money saved.

- Initial cost can be quite high (I got around this by switching to cloth gradually)
- One load of laundry every second day (trust me, in the scheme of things this is nothing)
- Getting your "system" right can take a bit of experimenting

Disposables.

+ No extra laundry
+ No start up cost.

- Massive ongoing costs
- more cases of nappy rash to deal with
- the amount of rubbish produced is huge, and you have to pay for all of it to get removed.
- dirty nappies sitting around the house for a week at a time
- the smell
- leaks
- ugly
- money you could spend elsewhere is used up.
- Landfill
- you have to dispose of poo anyway.
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 2:16pm
I never used sposies but after having a neighbour who used to put their rubbish bags out early so the cat/dog could spread the dirty nappies all over the front lawn i was completely put off!!

apart from that biggest pluses with cloth for me were:
* cost
* cute-factor
* natural fibres next to babies skin - i try to avoid using anything with any chemicals in food/skin care for him, so why would i then turn around and wrap his bits in something plastic???
* landfill
* no extra loads of washing for me cause i wash his mcn's together with his clothes every couple of days. I'll probably do two separate loads when new baby arrives, but don't think it'll make that much difference!
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

manda27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manda27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 2:20pm
cloth nappies save me soooo much money.
i find we have half the rubbish, no smell, he dosnt get nappy rash anymore, and i also dont make special trips to the supermarket to get nappies or wipes anymore which always resulted in buying extra stuff i didnt need.
I dont find it any hassle to wash them as i do a load of washing every day any way and just stick them in with the rest of it- do a rinse cycle first and stick everything else in.
I stick the dirty ones in a bucket in the laundry with a lid on to keep the smell in- no more hassle than taking a disposable to the bin.
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 2:59pm
I would have to say with the days I have used sposies when they have leaked I found that I do about the same amount of washing because I have to wash ALL of E's clothes and possibly all her bedding too. Her cloth nappies just fit way better.
I don't do an extra load of just nappies just chuck them in the machine at night on a rinse cycle then add more waking on top. I keep my nappies in a dry bucket in the laundry and find that the sposies we use at night smell more than the cloth plus that smell gets dealt to every few days while sposies sit all week.
They are much better for her because sposies are full of chemicals so we get less nappy rash and she has ezcema so is prone to rashes anyway.
You can always do cloth part time too. We use sposies at night and cloth during the day. I generally use sposies if we are out and about all day but sometimes take cloth as well.
My biggest positive would have to be that cloth is sooo much cuter than sposies!
jessiesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessiesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 4:30pm
The environment was my number 1 motivation. No matter what Huggies "research" says I just don't believe that if you use eco-friendly washing powder and soak and hang them out to dry, they have to be better than sposies.

Also I agree with what everyone else says about leaks and nappy rash. I think the bleaching chemicals they use must irritate skin. But then I don't use wipes either, just cloths and a bowl of warm water. There was also some discussion years ago about the effects of artifical oestrogens from the gels in the sposies affecting little boys, as their precious bits are exposed constantly.

I used flats and wraps for my first and the set up cost was about the same as buying one 2 box order of Moltex eco. So heaps better financially. I've never noticed a big increase in water/electricity bills. So with our new bub there won't be any cost involved in setting up.. unless I'm tempted by some new overnaps

Oh yeah, and with flushable liners the clean up is easy!

Edited by jessiesmum
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:39pm
i dont know about this idea that disposables need to be changed less. that is just laziness. they still get peed in as much as cloth and need to be changed as often. Nothing worse than an overfilled nappy sliding down a babies arse!

i do it for the environment, money saving, cuteness. i also hate the smell of plastic nappies, especially full ones.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 6:36pm
we worked out $ wise that afgter three months, our cloth nappies had paid for themselves. we were on one small income and managed to pay off a laybuy of 6. the bought another 6 later on. If we do have number three, it will be cloth all the way,
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 7:45pm

I love my cloth. We didnt go cloth until DD was about 8 weeks maybe 10 can't remember. We did it because she had incredibly bad nappy rash were on one income after my PPL finished. So for the cost of about 8boxes of nappies we got 12 nappies 10wipes and a wet bag.

They are so cute, DD loves playing with them lol she sits looking at her nappy and pulling at it cracks me up.

They smell alot nicer and are easy to wash and hang up. I put them on a clothes airer on the back deck and bring them inside when I need to normally.

The only down side is my brain haha I forget to wash them and then look and think crap I only have 2nappies (I don't normally count whats in the nappy bag) I have recently bought some eco-flushable wipes for when we're out so everything can be flushed if needed bonus!

Now we're on solid poops its easy as they come off easy and then just rinse under the tap.

I'm looking at getting somemore as we still use a disposable at night but am looking at getting some night nappies YAY and DP agrees hehe, plus some more for day hehehehe

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 9:18pm
I use cloth mostlyfulltime with 2 kids.dd is in sposies at night. We are saving heaps !!!! I find cloth leaks less than sposies.

I got a prefold/cover birth to potty pack with dd and then got some fitteds as she got bigger. They paid for themselves within a couple of months. I do one nappy load a day now ds is here .

Even dh reckons cloth are easier than sposies.
I have both kids in cloth even when we go out, just get a wetbag or even a plastic bag . I got some of those fragranced plastic bags for smelly poo.

I've never scrubbed nappies, I use microflece liners and tip dd poo in the toilet and just rinse ds under the tap.

He does mega splattery breastfed poos and our covers have only leaked once .

As for less nappy changes, you still need to change them every couple of hours. Its gross that people leave their kids in saggy sposies
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 10:15pm
Cloth full time here as well. Had a couple of packets of sposies that we used sparingly along with cloth until Jude was about 10weeks old and he grew out of them (we didn't end up using them all). We didn't find any difference in changing frequency between the two.

TBH I don't find cloth to be any more of a hassle than sposies. They are super easy nowadays, nothing like the flat nappies of old. Not sure why some people use cloth at home and sposies when out and about - they aren't any more or less easier than cloth nappies. Bit confused about that one

You will find that you do more loads of washing anyway with a new baby who can go through phases of spilling through clothes and bed clothes or being a super wetter and wetting through nappies (sposies and cloth), clothes and bed.

I HATE the smell of disposable nappies - they smell much much worse than cloth.

Seeing as Jude was not in sposies for very long, I can't comment too much on the difference between the two. I think that people (in general, probably not in the OhBaby Cloth Nappy Forum ) have this idea that sposies are SO much more convenient and that cloth is SOOO much more work - but I haven't had that experience at all.

Main reasons why we are in cloth here are money, cuteness (cloth looks so much cooler than plastic sposies) and by default - the environment.

I'd recommend you just buy a few cloth nappies if you aren't sure. Use them in conjunction with your sposies and if they aren't your thing then you can always resell them on TradeMe - no harm done.

Edited by StaceyL

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 9:02am
I agree with what everyone else says! And if you can sew, buying all the fabric you need to make them works out soooo cheap! I made 10 pocket nappies with minky for $100 - they are sooooooo easy to make and they work great - just stuff with a flat nappy (bought 20 off TM for $20) and away you go! And those 10 were large size so I imagine you could get way more small ones out of that fabric! I don't know how much disposables cost as walk straight past them in the supermarket lol, but I imagine it wouldn't take long to recover that cost back!

Why don't you book the OhBaby newborn/small hire kit for when you're due and you can try a whole bunch of nappies and see which ones suit you and your baby the best!
Oh and Congrats on being pregnant!!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 10:26am
Yep to what everyone said about the benefits of cloth. Aside from the money saved and benefits to baby etc,  Sposies are so bad for the environment and its kind of selfish IMO to use them unless you HAVE to....that might sound harsh but we all live in this world and I think owe it to each other and our children to make as light a step as possible. Obviously none of us are perfect but I truely believe every little bit helps and using cloth is helping a huge bit

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 9:18pm
I've just ordered my cloth nappies and my main reason was cost followed closely by the cute factor and also to be a bit more environmentally friendly
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:09am
I totally agree with everything everyone has said.

With DS we used sposies FT until he was about 2 yrs old. Then I changed him to cloth & I so wish I had done it sooner. The main reason we changed is because I sat down & worked out that over his 2 years of life we had spent around $2500 on disposable nappies! That's insane! I also learnt that disposable nappies take about 80 years to break down...that means my son could be dead before his first nappy decomposes! That is scary.

I always though cloth was too hard-too much washing involved & you had to change them too often. And I liked to use that old excuse "with all the washing powder, water, electricity involved in cloth nappies they really aren't much better for the environment". That's just a crock of bull. I think it's what people tell themselves so they feel less guilty about polluting the earth with their disposable nappies.

I am so glad we switched to cloth, & the next baby will go into cloth almost straight away (we plan on using sposies for the first few weeks though till meconium is gone & we can get into a laundry rhythm). I have to admit that DS is in a sposie at night, but I reckon one sposie a day is something I can live with.

I also have to say that now when I see a baby in a sposie I think how ugly & uncomfortable they look. There is nothing cuter than little cloth bum!

Post Reply Post Reply