FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA guys view

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dwoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A guys view
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 7:32pm
I thought it was about time that blokes had a part in this forum where we can have some kind of input and perhaps try to discover what the hell is going on during this whole roller coaster of “Fertility Treatment”.

I would encourage guys to submit their experiences and how they have dealt with all the varying aspects of the process (as I'm sure there are plenty). I would also encourage girls to ask questions of guys and participate in helping us deal with the treatments together.

Personally my wife and I have been trying for 2.5 years with various courses of Clomid, and also three failed attempts at IUI. Our next step is the full IVF and we are waiting for funding for that. We are also having a few months off fertility treatment to concentrate on us again. No matter what treatment you are going through they all have a very hard and trying emotional path, so from experience “don’t take it for granted!”

While us blokes only physically play a relatively small part in the overall treatment process, we are still feeling the same pains of loss and grief every month that pregnancy does not occur.

Following the last failed IUI we as a couple hit the proverbial “brick wall”, my wife was always sad, we started not wanting to go out and visit friends, we ate rubbish food and didn't exercise, we questioned our relationship, and I was becoming withdrawn and anxious that my wife would leave me. We were really in a very big hole and we couldn’t see anyway out of it.

I’ve found it extremely difficult during these treatments to understand what my wife goes through, and how she deals with the grief every month. I have so desperately wanted to help her through this experience but I’ve had this real sense of being on the outside and really only there as a swimmer donor when required. I’ve had huge feelings of guilt, frustration and sadness that I can’t get the woman I love dearly pregnant. It’s a huge blow to your manhood and your pride.

Luckily we sought some counselling together to see if we recover some of our sanity. Now, I know most guys would balk at going to see a counsellor and spill your guts to a stranger, but I have to say it was one of the most liberating and worthwhile experiences. It not only started to get us back on track but it also made us aware of all the pressures involved in Fertility Treatment and put everything into perspective. Some of the sessions were very hard and incredibly emotional, and there were plenty of tears from both of us. But at the end of it we now believe we can survive the Fertility Treatments (what ever the outcome) and it will not get the better of us. We are not expecting it to be an easy ride but we are now going into it with our eyes open and armed with much more knowledge than we had before. Keeping the lines of communication open during every part of the experience seems to be the key.

Hopefully this might be a catalyst for improved communication between couples during the fertility treatment process.

Good luck to everyone who is going through this journey!!!!
Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 7:45pm
Well I'm a chick, without fertility issues, but I for one greatly appreciated that! It was a real eye opener, thank you
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
frankie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:27pm
Dwoodle I think its awesome you have opened this thread. I'm a female so no help - but I fully salute you - and hope your thread helps other guys to express their thoughts and feelings.

Best of luck to you and your wife with the IVF.
asicsgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asicsgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:02pm
I agree with Frankie, us woman often have conversations about how we feel often thinking that because males don't experience what we do that we are the ones that suffer the journey of ttc.
I really hope your thread will help others out there. Thanks also for sharing your feelings, it helps seeing things from the other side.
I hope you and your wife have your special miracle soon.

Edited by asicsgal
Ceres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:25pm
I agree with the others, it's fantastic that you've started this thread dwoodle. This journey is not one that's taken individually, but takes a couple who experience both different and similar journeys, physically and emotionally. Big kudos to you for coming on here and being so candid, and like Frankie and Asics have said, all the baby dust in the world to you and your DW with your IVF cycles.
Bambino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 10:17am
Thank you Dwoodle ... good to hear from a guy. Their voices in this process are sadly sidelined and I think the gender differences and the way we both think about and approach our fertility issues are so different ... it is a shame that conflict is often the first reaction to these differences.

My DH also finds it really hard to understand what I go through each month and his reactions to other people's pregnancies are so different to mine.

I am looking forward to taking up your advice of some fertility counselling.

Thank you for posting and good luck with your own journey! And, ladies, perhaps we can all get our blokes to add something to this thread?
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 4:04pm
I'll add to the chorus of 'good on you's I know DH found the whole TTC thing really hard - being expected to perform on demand (and probably having to cope with the fact that the 'demand' was much higher during that time of the month, which would surely make any bloke feel a bit used), and coping with the fact that I was counting on him for support, and his feelings often got kind of sidelined in the process, because he had to be the 'strong' one. I'll see if I can get him to post - obviously, it's a bit after the fact for us now, but I'm sure he'd still have some good input.

dwoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 7:04pm
Thanks for all the encouragement and support from you all. I'm still hoping some guys will pitch in and share what they went through and how they dealt with their particular issues, as there are many. And if there are any questions from girls out there wondering about the guys views, maybe we can answer some of them.

As a couple we are in this fertility treatment together so the best way to deal with all the issues that go along with it, is together. I wish I had realised that from the start.

anon12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:21am

Edited by tal
masteryoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masteryoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 6:38pm
Well Done. My Wife has been posting on forums for well over a year now and now theres an excuse for me to beat her to the computer. Surely there must be plenty of guys out there ready to jump on. Come on you wife's and partners. Get your blokes into it.

Dwoodle, I know what you are saying about a emotional rollercoaster. My wife and I had to have the full IVF treatment through infertility issues on both sides. (Mainly mine) We ended up going through the ICSI process due to not having a high enough count for conventional IVF. It is a taxing and stressfull process but worth it when it finally works. You even get a cool photo of the 8 cell embryo they are implanting on the day taken under microscope. Now how many babys have that for a first photo in their album!!

Anyway good on ya for starting a guys thread. Here to join ya!!

oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2010 at 5:00pm
We need some more guys to come forward and share their views and feelings. I know my DH felt better once he was able to share what he was feeling when we were going through it all. Well done Dwoodle for starting it all!
dwoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:37pm
Hi everyone,
Its great to have the support out there. I think guys need to be able to talk about these things as well

Materyoda - that photo is great. It amazing what they can do now!!

My own story is not progressing in a way I expected. My wife and I are battling the whole relationship issues as a direct result of failed treatments. My wife is struggling to get back any sort of attraction to me, its like the void of fertility treatment has sucked the love out of her for me. We are still going to counselling which is helping to a certain degree, but I'm living in the fear that she may well never get those feelings back and may well bail on the relationship totally.

The failed IUI's has hit her hard and she has withdrawn inside herself and is shutting me out. As a result of this Im going the other way and bombarding her with love and attention. This just has the result of pushing her away even more.......hence the spiralling cycle of frustration and anger.

I can now see my actions are not helping the problems so I am taking responsibility for myself and giving her more space and easing back a bit. I guess all I can hope is that this gives her space to think about things and maybe we can get back to where we were prior to fertility treatment.

Has anyone else struck this!!!!! Any tips on how to deal with it would be great.

Cheers

Edited by dwoodle
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:59pm
No advice, but thanks for sharing!
frankie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:36pm
Dwoodle, so sorry for all that you and your wife are going through.

I think there are two things you could do - one is to just do as she asks and hope that as she works through things herself, maybe the attraction to you will come back naturally and things might get back to normal.

The other option is to take her away somewhere where it is just the two of you. I am thinking something like Raro or Fiji if you can afford to go away and spoil her, and get away from everything and turn the cellphone off. Perhaps a complete change of environment would help to lift you both away from the norm, and reconnect as a couple. There is nothing like a break from everything in life to heal, individually and together.

Good luck - I really hope everything works out for the two of you. You sound like a lovely guy and I am sure she will come around eventually.
DickyTicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickyTicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:03pm
Hi Dwoodle - well done for kicking off a place for us guys to share stuff.

It's saddening to read of the stress you and your wife are going through. Our own fertility journey is somewhat different to yours (more about that later), so I can't say I know all of what you're going through, and don't want to come across as claiming to have answers to problems I can't relate to.

All I would say is: Don't lose sight of the things that you loved/enjoyed about each other before you started TTC. I do know how easy it is to be consumed by this clinical, unromantic assisted-fertility process, and that maintaining the relationship you both had as newlyweds takes a lot of work in stressful times - just as it does for those of us with kids. But sharing things together, making each other laugh, and feeling safe/comforted in each others' company must have figured in the things that drew you together in the first place. As difficult as it may seem to keep that up, that's exactly the glue you'll both need to get each other through this - and the basis for the relationship that you'll be wanting to role-model to the child(ren) you one day will have.

Uugh, that did come across like a sermon from a know-it-all. But I do wish you both all the best in facing all that the future holds.

The issues my wife and I face aren't on the same scale as yours - but in the hope of encouraging other blokes to share their own feelings (however serious they may be), I will tell our story to date in a separate posting later today...
DickyTicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickyTicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 9:40pm
As promised (although a couple days late) here’s my story:

We had our first child 3 years ago, without much trouble. When he was already on the way, I was diagnosed with a genetic heart condition that appears in the affected person’s 30s and has a high chance of sudden death in the late 40s. I now have a pacemaker and have further surgery scheduled for later this year.

But for now, life goes on and we still have our hearts (no pun intended) set on a second child. With a 50% chance of passing the condition on to each of my kids, we thought long and hard before coming to the decision to give Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) a go. After nearly a year of waiting (waiting sucks when your expected lifespan is reduced), we finally get our chance at PGD at the beginning of June.

We’ve been through some of the same emotional twists and turns that most IVF couples go through I guess, but in many ways we’re different – obviously, we already have one child; and if PGD doesn’t result in a pregnancy, we will revert back to – err – a more traditional method of TTC.

My wife has been amazing – since we made the decision to proceed, she’s been fully into it, and hasn’t complained once about the extended wait for the second child I know she’s aching to have.

We both knew what the side effects of IVF treatment might be – but I for one was caught unprepared for the severity and suddenness of the transformation she went through from easygoing and energetic to exhausted, short-fused and sometimes utterly broken. I have to admit that I don’t feel like the supportive husband I thought I would have been.

But the frustration and irritation I feel has nowhere to go – because like all men in the IVF equation, I know my wife has it 10 times worse than I do. And what makes me feel even more like dirt is the knowledge that she’s going through all of this because of me – something I guess guys with male-factor infertility feel at one time or another.

So I’m just hanging in there, sucking it up, bottling it away like a stereotypical bloke ought to (and like the cousellors would tell us not to), burying myself in far too much work and making myself even more tired and grumpy in the process.

Sound familiar to anyone else..?

Edited by DickyTicker
 Post Reply Post Reply