FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedContraception afterwards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contraception afterwards?
    Posted: 13 April 2010 at 9:06pm
What to do afterward.... I get PG at the drop of the hat, this is my 4th PG, (first one past 10 weeks though) and even though I know that I won't be letting DH near me with his thing for a while, I don't want to get PG again too soon.

I was thinking that you prob can't get IUD straight away, not keen on Depo and curious if the Pill crosses the breastmilk?

Any thoughts/ideas?

May 2012
Sponsored Links

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 9:44pm
Generally, people wait until 6 weeks post-partum before getting back on the horse. At the 6 week mark you can have an IUD put in, or the implant (both of which are safe while breastfeeding). The pill doesn't cross over, but it does affect milk production - that's why we have the minipill which is perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:38am
Yeah what freespirit said, I was going to mention depo, but you said your not keen, can I ask why? It's ok if you don't want to answer!
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:17am
Not keen on Depo only because I'm o/weight to begin with, when I asked my GP about it years ago, the first thing he said to me was that I have to be prepared to put on at least 5kg straight away! Ah no!

Do you have to wait for your period to have an IUD put in? I was told they won't put in a IUD unless they know you're def not PG!? But I'm guessing I'll know myself not letting DH near me!

May 2012
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:24am
Fair enough!! I had a friend who had depo and had her period for 3 months straight
troutpout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutpout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:02am
that's what happened to me with depo - just had a constant period til it wore off 3 months later - not nice!!
i'm planning to have IUD put in after baby
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:20am
I've just had depo, was a little put off by the possible link with low bone density as I have very little calcium in my diet
My period hasn't started yet, been a week since having the injection and still no period!

Other than that we're using condoms, are they an option?
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:21am
eta: double post sorry!

Edited by nkap9
MumtoMany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumtoMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:50am
I had the depo after having my second child. I found it fantastic and i was about 95kgs when i got it. I new there was a chance of putting on weight so i got myself in the right midset and decided now was as good a time as any to lose weight. I lost 30kgs and it fell off in 3month's i couldnt believe how fast it came off. When i went back for the next shot the doctor was in shock when the weighed me

I think i will get it again after this baby if they let me because i tend to breast feed for over 1 year and i dont feel safe on the mini pill.

I took my friend to get a iud and she told me the pain was worse than having her 3 children. She kept getting infections and bleeding with it and after only 5 months had to have it taken out
DD 12 DS 9.5 DD 6 DS 4 DD 23 months and here comes number 6

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 11:25am
By the same token, I have an IUD (well, a Mirena) and have had no trouble with it and have had it in for 6 months now. When putting in an IUD after having a baby, they don't worry about the AF side of things, because it can take a wee while for AF to return. They do it at 6 weeks after baby is born, and you have to do a pg test first anyway (it's the same for a Mirena or an IUD). I had a bit of cramping while they put it in, but much like a smear. Certainly nowhere near the pain of labour!!!!!
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 12:25pm
i am the perfect exmaple of why not to use Depo..
10kg weight gain in less than 2 weeks and constant period the whole 3 months that even taking the pill aswell couldnt stop.
(apparently taking the pill stops the excessive bleeding)
however while taking the pill aswell as having the depo in my system (got tit 27th july so it had to be renewed by Oct 12th...) i still managed to get pregnant

fadeless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 5:34pm
I had an IUD put in after my last baby, he was 4mths old when it was inserted, it was uncomfortable but not too bad my first AF was hell though. Lasted 20mths and fell out with out me noticing and yeah pregnant straight away, i didnt know i had even lost it until i went looking for strings at AF time and there were none, they were there after my last AF.
DD 9 ~ DD 8 ~ DS 7 ~ DS 5 ~ DS 2 ~ DS 14mths ~ DD 3mths
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 6:20pm
I had an IUD put in when DD was 5months old and hadn't had my period back yet. The doctor just felt my tummy and said "doesn't feel like a pregnant tummy" lol.
I didn't find mine painful to get in at all. Although, once my period came back in October I did have 11 of them in 4months but the doctor promised it wasn't because of the IUD, and my cycle seems to have sorted itself out now since DD stopped BFing last month. It's great not having to remember to take a pill, and we weren't very good at using condoms after so long not using them
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

MumtoMany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumtoMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:12pm
Ok that makes me feel abit better about the iud then. It was the Mirena my friend got. I will look into it as a option to then. Her last child was over 1 year old when she got it so maybe thats why it was so sore for her? the 6 week thing makes sence to me. Things would still be not quite back to normal wouldnt it so easier to put it??
DD 12 DS 9.5 DD 6 DS 4 DD 23 months and here comes number 6

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:06pm
Possibly...as with any IUD, they need to dilate the cervix to put it in, and closer to birth things still aren't quite back to normal LOL In saying that, I had a c-section, and the girls were 3 months old when I got mine put in...I did dilate during labour prior to the c-section which is something that they asked me at my appointment (apparently it makes it easier?).
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 11:32am
Thanks for the info... think I'll try out the IUD.
I'm useless at remembering pills

We could use condoms I suppose, but it's a bit of a spoiler after so long of not using them!

May 2012
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 1:05pm
re the depo i was on it for years and no probs and no periods..loved it but they took me off cause i was overweight and more chance of clots:( I have tubes tied and hubby getting snip but that isnt an option for you:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 3:34pm
my youngest is almost 12wks and i decided to get depo as i was on a waiting list for merina i have my appt but its not til june and i went on depo when he was 4wks old, getting depo was a waste lol as i havent been interested. i havent weighed myself since i got it. dont really want to have another lot of depo, but also really dont want another baby for another 5-10yrs
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 9:29pm
Ive never gained weight while using the Depo......and ive used it for years. It did however screw with my fertility making #3 take 15months to concieve...........I would like to blame my weight gain on depo i never lost any weight without major diet and exercise after coming off it..........Ive also been on the depo the last 3months and with exercising ive lost 5kgs and only have 5kgs to go to be pre preg weight.
So the weight gain doesnt always happen. I actually gained a couple of kgs from the pill. I heard people gain a heap of weight on the implanton thingee also

Im not having another depo shot as i dont want to have any trouble conceiving if i ever talk DH around to having another......which im doubtful yet hopeful
Rachel1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:49pm
I'm planning on getting the non hormonal IUD - I hated how being on the pill messed with my body and I have a latex sensitivity so condoms aren't a good option for us.

DH will definitely get a snip snip once we're finished with having the family!!
 Post Reply Post Reply