FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby won’t take the bottle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby won’t take the bottle
    Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:22pm
Hi there,
I hope someone out there will offer some help!
I'm a new mum, my little girl is 3 months old. I was giving her a bottle every other day from about 2 weeks old just to get her used to it as friends had told me how their kids hadn't taken to the bottle. I didn't give her a bottle for about 5 days and then when I tried again she wouldn't take it. My husband and I have been trying everything - him giving it to her, different bottles, me hiding in the bedroom so she thinks I'm not there, different times of the day etc and nothing is working. I am expressing every morning to have milk to put in a bottle in the hope she will one day just take it, but to no avail. Any ideas???? Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what to do...
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:52pm
I gave up and accepted she'd just be breastfed directly. It's not been a huge hassle for me. I'll offer again just before she starts daycare at 6 months, and if that fails I'll give her a sippy cup at daycare in addition to a lunchtime visit and BF. Is there any reason you need her to take the bottle?
Sparkle7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 5:58pm
Help, I'm in exactly the same boat. DD took happily accepted the bottle weekly and we forgot to use it for a couple of weeks and now chews it instead of sucking it! Really need her to take it as I have work commitments one day a week starting next week!   
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by T_Rex T_Rex wrote:

I gave up and accepted she'd just be breastfed directly. It's not been a huge hassle for me. I'll offer again just before she starts daycare at 6 months, and if that fails I'll give her a sippy cup at daycare in addition to a lunchtime visit and BF. Is there any reason you need her to take the bottle?

Same here. TBH I actually found it easier after mix feeding #1 and faffing round with bottles, cleanign etc. Just one less thing to wean off.

And there is new legislation in place the mothers can be given breaks to feed at work or express, so if poss, feed baby at work, or head to D/C at lunch time. A PITA, but sometimes thats what has to happen.

I needed to get my baby on a bottle so she could have EBM when I had surgery but no avail, i ended up having to have her in hospital with me. now THAT was a PITA!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2010 at 10:23pm
I'm in the same boat too. DD nearly 4 months happily took EBM from a bottle every now and then. But it's been a few weeks now since she last had a bottle and when I went to give her a bottle again she flat out refused to drink from it and just screamed blue murder. I tried again today but still no luck. We had the same problem with our first DD too. With a lot of patience and perseverence we eventually got there with her, so I'm just gonna keep trying with 2nd DD. Would like to get her used to bottle again so she's having at least 1 a day. Then DH or someone else can give her a feed, especially if DH and I want to go have a date night.

Missed MC July 2011
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 3:21pm
Sorry - my little'un isn't big on the bottle either. He'll take it sometimes - if he's really hungry or I guess just in a really accomodating mood. But I find as soon as I take him off to burp him it's a miracle if he'll take it again.

The only time I've not wanted to bf (due to me drinking, before realising he wouldn't take a bottle that day!) I've fed him milk from a syringe (slow) or from a medicine spoon (possibly messy as you have to go slowly). Now I'm trying with a sippy cup. He can get the milk out, but then it seems to dribble out of mouth
I think the sippy cup is going to be the way to go though. And you're one is still a little little for it

Sazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:18pm
Hi there
Well it sounds like this is happening to a few of us!
She still isn't taking the bottle. I have heard from a friend after trying every single bottle the only one her baby took was the NUK brand and a latex teat (yellow) not the clear silocone teat that so many bottles have.
So we tried it and she drank 30ml, it was a miracle. Obviously not nearly enough, and then she started screaming, but it's a start. But then the next day she didn't take it again. I will keep trying. She has to take it!!
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:30pm
We had this problem with henry when he was 5months old. I wanted him to take a bottle for my wedding day. Anyway i had resigned myself to feeding him during the day at different times (was going to be difficult in a wedding dress but oh well) until i came on here and asked this same question. Someone recommended trying a sippy cup. We got a soft spout one (tomme tippie) i think and he drank it no problems.
Might be worth a try if you are desperate. Henry had only had a bottle at 2weeks however so its not like he was taking it and then stopped.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 6:44pm
i have this prob too..tried three times..he took 100mls last time so he can take at least alittle I'm ready to stop feeding so hoping he will want to take it more soon!:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Sazzy Sazzy wrote:

Hi there
Well it sounds like this is happening to a few of us!
She still isn't taking the bottle. I have heard from a friend after trying every single bottle the only one her baby took was the NUK brand and a latex teat (yellow) not the clear silocone teat that so many bottles have.
So we tried it and she drank 30ml, it was a miracle. Obviously not nearly enough, and then she started screaming, but it's a start. But then the next day she didn't take it again. I will keep trying. She has to take it!!

This is the only thing that worked for my baby. Nuk bottle, latex teat, lying flat on the floor.    

I did resign myself to just breastfeeding for a few months as he flat out refused (before giving him the Nuk bottle) but my milk supply was drastically low and he was starving so I tried absolutely everything and this is the only thing that worked.
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:25am
The advise I have read is to feed them first feed in the morning after a long stint of sleep. And that if you are persistent and don't offer them boob they will eventually take it. That seems a little bit mean to me.

DD wouldn't take a bottle one time but at every feed I offered even if sh eonly took 30mls then that was enough for me and she got a bf.

Some kids don't take a bottle, try a sippy cup as an alternative.

julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:06pm
This happend to me and i tried everything but unfortunatly my wee girl would just not take a bottle , she flatly refused , would purse her lips, spit it , anything but take it . She took her first full bottle at 8months old by a complete fluke , i just thought i would try one day and she took it , it wasnt an instant thing tho , she still refused most of the time but i just kept insisting she have it , now she is 11months old (well just about) and she will take a bottle some of the time but she still definatly prefers boobie , after having her sick the whole weekend she has not had one bottle . i think for my wee one it is a comfort thing . She is now at preschool 2 1/2 days a week ( as i have to work ) so she is made to take it there . i definatly feel your pain !!!!!
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:11pm
fattartsrock- i didnt know about those legisaltions to do with work . i get only a half hour break when i work 8 1/2 hours ( and two 15min breaks) so i just simply dont have time to go to my daughter preschool and breast feed . because of this i made the desisicion to put her on formular ( i still breastfeed when shes not at preschool ) i could never express enough milk for a bottle so i gave up oin the idea of her taking a expressed bottle to preschool . My work has certinly never said anything about the opportunity for me to be able to go and feed her at lunchtime . if what your saying is correct i may have a word with my Boss .
Sazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 9:06am
Guess what! My little girl is on the bottle.
I just decided I had to take a stand and be firm and not give in. So last Monday she woke, I gave her the bottle, she cried as usual, and normally after half an hour or so I would put her on the boob but this time I didn't. She cried herself to sleep hungry, woke up at 11am crying, I tried again, she still wouldn't take it. Had a day of tears from her and me.   At 4pm she was obviously hungry and she just took it, she drunk the whole 250ml bottle in about 15 minutes. Before bed I gave her another one, again more protesting but for only about 20 minutes this time, then she took it. The next day the crying got less and less, and on Wednesday morning she took it straight away, no crying, just drinking it, happy and smiling and thinking it was great. All it took was persistence and determination not to give up. And it worked. YAY. Also NUK latex yellow teats is what I've been using. Good luck to the rest of you!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply