FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIDEAS please, night before prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IDEAS please, night before prep
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:22pm
I start studying full time next semester. This term while studying part time i use the crock pot on the afternoons i go into uni get in ready in the morning. Next semester though i will be going in for the whole day 9-5pm ish. I would really like to spend time with the kiddies when I get home rather than cooking so we can eat at 5.30. So need some ideas for what i can do in the crockpot.

WOuld really like recipes that i can prep the night before as im sure you can imagine mornings are a bit hectic at the best of times.

So far i have made beef stew - diced meat and put in fridge, chopped potatos, carrots, cabbage, onion and put in crockpot. Then in the morning all i had to do was do beef stock, mustard powder and soy sauce with boiling water and chuck in with herbs. Chucked in peas when got home and ate 45mins later.

Im stuck for other ideas though. We have a beast in the freezer so beef meals are always go. Other meats need to be relatively cheap for me to buy.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:29pm
Hi Angel, I would do a huge amount of beef mince and then use it for;

nachoes,
tacos,
wraps,
spag bol,
sheppards pie,
mince on toast,
lasagne,
etc etc....

You can also do chooks in the crock pot and then use the meat for wraps or whatever...

Also check out the maggi slow cooker range at the supermarket - heaps to choose from :-)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 5:32pm
my ex's mother used to prepare the soap the night before and either put in fridge or leave on bench then just turn on before going to work.

most things can be put in the night before i imagine then either left in fridge or the bench.

that pasta dish that someone posted would be good too - you would still get to spend time with the kids.

someone on another thread also mentioned roasting 2 chooks at once ...

alison and simon holst have a crockpot cookbook that is quite popular too.

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:16pm
Here are some of the easy meals I do which require next to no prep

Chilli con carne - mince, Watties Mild Salsa beans and a tin of toms. Only takes half a day though. Maybe you could put it on a timer to start at lunch time?

Maggi Beef Strog sachet

Maggi Apricot Chicken Sachet - I use frozen chick pieces (big no-no!) and just make sure it cooks all day (which for you it would)

I also love our electric steamer, you can prep the veges earlier in the day or night before and put them in the fridge. Turn it on when you get home and you don't even have to keep an eye on it while it cooks
Lindsey

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:50pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will look into that recipe book.

I think i just need to look at the things i cook and try prepping them earlier might work.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:18pm
bacon adn egg pie could probably be made the ngiht before then just turned on when you came home.

you could make hamburger patties the night before and chill them - they keep their shape better then too - and then you could all make burgers together. so you get to make tea and spend time together. same with pizza. my kids all love putting their own toppings on and so much healthier than brought ones.

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:29pm
Angel - I think I have a copy of that book here. let me have a hunt in the next couple of days and Ill let you know
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:19pm
Bacon and egg pie is a great idea - I can't eat egg but the boys love it THANKS will put that on the list.

Tastic - Thanks. If you would be willing to lend it to me for a look that would be amazing!!!
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 12:20am
Angel4 - I found it if you still want to borrow it
it's called '100great ways to use, slow cookers & crockpots' by Simon and Alison Holst
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:14pm
oh wow you are amazing!!!! Is there a meet up this week? I am wayy more free this week as i don't have uni YAY!!!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:32pm
Weve got that book too and its great. Some of our favs are irish stew and pork & peaches.

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:46pm
I'm not sure, I'm free most afternoons - as the boys are in preschool. otherwise I can do mornings too with the boys - thursday or friday is good for me... thursday is payday lol

What area are you in
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 8:43pm
i live in spreydon just around from barringtons mall. End of the week would be better for us too. Mornings are best as kids sleep in the afternoon. What about thursday morning somewhere?
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 12:18am
thursday morning is good. Im sure the boys will have fun together again

where? I just posted in the chch meetup post to see if anyone else is interested in meeting up again this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply