FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan’t take much more of this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t take much more of this
    Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:31am
My boy has never been a good sleeper (silent reflux up to 3 months). Around 5 months he got better, waking only 2-3 times during the night. Then it turned to custard at 6 months when I started him on solids. He started waking every 1-2 hours. I put it down to a growth spurt which I think it was (initially) but he has continued to wake every two hours. I've always made excuses for him (growth spurt, solids, teething) but at 10 months old, I think it's time to stop.

I bought the No cry sleep solution book, and although I've only been using the suggestions in it for a couple of weeks, he has gotten worse! He is waking every hour. Sometimes he just won't go back to sleep. I just don't know what to do anymore. I know I will regret letting him cry it out but I'm reaching the end of my tether. My husband is settling him at the moment but I feel bad as he has to work. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Sponsored Links

ChrisW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:49am
sorry I can't really offer any advice as it sounds as though you have been trying different things... what does he sleep like during the day? hmmm I am not one for letting the cry it out either. what does the cry sound like?... some foods tend to lead to my DD waking up in the night so I tend to keep dinners simple
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 7:18am

(((hugs)) Clodagh is also a rubbish sleeper and it makes life very very difficult.

We tried the no cry sleep solution as well as Save Our Sleep..it depends which way you prefer to deal with it. We don't do cc BUT have resorted to it on occassion when we've also been at the end of our tethers.

The thing that has worked somewhat for us is making sure Clodagh's full of food before her evening sleep, only letting DF settle her(depsite his early morning starts) and night weaning her.  This has resulted in her 'only' waking twice a night generally...although as you can see by my own post it can be 5 times a night just as easily.  Having a pretty strict routine has also helped somewhat.

Sorry I can't be more helpful- I know what you're going through and it sucks.

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 9:19am
I wish I had some words of advice, but I'm watching the months go by and my 'teething, growth spurt' excuses just aren't cutting it either.

I really really really feel your pain.   Jamie has been a rubbish sleeper from day dot and although he's not quite 6 months now, he consistently wakes up every few hours despite eliminating hunger, temperature, nappy change, etc.    Nothing works!

I'm going to start a crappy sleepers thread I think where we can all have a moan!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 10:10am

Great idea mamanee.

I don't have any words of wisdom either, but just wanted to know I feel your pain, except I've only being dealing with it for 5 months, which is nothiing on your 10.

My boy has been waking every hour to hour and a half for the last two weeks (with the occassional nights of 3hourly wake ups). He screams and screams for up to an hour at times and no one else can settle him so I am a walking zombie these days.

Anyway, I hope someone has some great advice for you

Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

... what does he sleep like during the day? ...what does the cry sound like?... some foods tend to lead to my DD waking up in the night so I tend to keep dinners simple

Ben usually has a morning and afternoon nap, totalling 3-4 hours sleep, although lately he is waking after only 1/2 an hour. This could be part of the problem but not easy to fix.

At night he wakes up and grizzles which then escalates into a cry. I pick him up and cuddle him but usually he will only settle with a boob. Then it's random whether he will actually go back to sleep. Last night he was awake from 11pm. I nursed him at 1:40 and he had no intention of going to sleep. I ended up letting him play until he finally got tired at 2:40 and he fell asleep with me.

We try to fill him up with food at night but he's never been a big eater (which stresses me out at times too ). His dinners are quite basic (meat and veges).

Thanks everyone for your posts. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 8:42pm
Seeing it all went down hill since you started solids, look at the solids you are feeding him. Avoid the brocolli type foods. Ie broc, cauli, peas.

Also is his reflux playing up again? My boy was waking every 2 hours at 12 months old til I got him on reflux meds.

Does his stomach feel really tight?

Do you have gaviscon? Give it a whirl & see how he goes?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Helen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:16pm
My plunket nurse advised me to just leave Amelia when I knew she woke up at night.

I would get up to her straight away but everyone (including adults) wakes up during the night but most people can get back to sleep by themselves if they are left to re settle themselves.

I have to admit that I was really unsure as to whether this was a good idea but I do notice that some days I am just so tired that I know she wakes but I when I don't get up that most times she goes back to sleep by herself. If I didn't have the monitor I wouldn't even know she was awake.

Maybe worth the try.

kaybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 9:18am
Acetyr, I know he might seem a bit old but have you tried swaddling him again? No idea if it would work, but ds was heading down that path and at 6 months I started swaddling him again and he sleeps much better now - not sure how it would work for a 10 month old though...

Best of luck with whatever you try, it is not easy being exhausted and looking after a baby!

millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 11:48am
Our dear not fun. You have to find a solution that works for you. Work out whether you want to get up in the night our not. Work out whether you can stand crying or not. Choose what your preferred approach is. the secret is a good routine and being consistent with settling him for every sleep.

Most times I reckon he'll settle in the night using the method he used to go to sleep.

I tired a lot of no cry solutions, and things just got worse. I did CC as DH finally said enough was enough. It took 3 night for her to settle and maybe two weeks before she stopped waking in the night enough for her to wake us. If she's upset I wait 5 mins go in and rub her back, kiss her and say night night and she goes to sleep. Mostly I don't do that. And Baby M was a rubbish sleeper for a good two months. Now she sleeps for 11-12 hours a night and has two good naps.

I would try white noise and black out windows (we use polythene and it worked a treat) and also make sure he's warm enough.

I would definitely check his foods though, must be something going on.

Good luck though it's so rough like this but take heart you will find a solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply