FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby led weaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Felice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 1:33pm
I just wanted to suggest these two sites that I found really helpful and seems to cover all the issues :)
www.babyledweaning.com
http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
Sponsored Links

DeePa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeePa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 10:14pm
I come from a very long line of food mashing, spoon feeding (at 3 months if not earlier!), tummy sleeping, baby raring mums, aunties and older sisters including mother -in-law. My husbands mum kept asking about when I was going to start solids since TK was 3 months old. I haven't bothered explaining BLW to my family but my husbands mum is very interested in TK so I tried to explain BLW but she didn't seem interested.

We started BLW in the weekend - TK is 5 1/2 months, and my husband and I absolutely loved watching him feed himself. I got the book a few weeks ago which helped to understand the 'science' around BLW i.e stages of learning, fine motor skills etc. My husband kept commenting how 'natural' it was to let TK feed himself....he loves it...we love it...and can't imagine spoon feeding him.

I started with too many types of food though so will cut back and start with fruit and veg only, however I did read that some readers avoid fruit (esp bananas) if there was a history of allergies. Only allergies in the family is TK's Aunty (daddy's sister) but that is it.

TK got eczema when he was 3 months and by 5 months it looked like it had cleared up. Anyone had a problem with eczema and started BLW?   Anyone experienced any reoccurred? Though I should think that either BLW or spoon feeding wouldn't make any difference with his eczema.

Nice to read everyone's experience.

Thanks
Dee, C & TK

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 8:48pm
Yep both my kids had/have ezcema. You are right- there would be no difference between blw and spoon feeding in relation to one causing eczema and not the other, it will be to do with the ingrsients and not if the food is mushed or not!
We are avoiding bananas, soy- cos DS reacts to it in my bm, and diary- DD was allergic.
Only introduce a new food every few days or even further apart, or introduce foods with more than a couple of ingredients - it will be easier to work out which ingredient or food is causing a problem if he does have a reaction/get ezcema.

We are been doing blw for 3 weeks now.
DS likes toast, homemade bread, corn cruskits with olivani and marmite/hummus/avacado, plain rice crakers and has tried pasta and rice.
Persimon, pear, apple, tried tinned peach but wasnt keen.
Celery, carrot-cooked, pumpkin, kumara, potatoe, parsnip, not keen on brocolli-pulls a real funny face each time!
Chicken legs, lamb chops and tried sasuage tonight and LOVED it!

DeePa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeePa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 5:11pm
TK seems to get frustrated if he is not able to pick the food up in his hand to take to his mouth. Mainly I think because the banana is too slippery and I over cooked the broccoli and kumara so it just crumbled everytime he picked it up.

When he had banana I picked it up and started putting it in his hand/mouth which seemed to stop him grizzling but completely defeated the purpose of blw. I also feed him (bf) before he has his 'solids'.

If he grizzles again (and the food is cooked properly and not slippery) shall I leave him to figure it out or shall I take him off his highchair?
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 8:34pm
If he isn't interested in feeding and is grizzling a bit - take him out of his highchair and choose another time for him to have another go. It's more about playing and experimenting to start off with so keep it fun and don't worry if he doesn't eat very much (or at all).

Don't worry that they haven't got the hang of picking things like banana up straight away - it will happen very soon, babies are very fast learners I used to try giving Jude banana with a band of the skin still on around the bottom to act as a sort of handle so he didn't squish it by squeezing too hard but then he would always end up picking it up at the wrong end or turning it over to eat the skin. Lol. Have seen other people do that successfully though. Another thing is to put a bit of it on a spoon and give the spoon to him to put in his mouth himself.

BLW is awesome - stick at it, the rewards are totally worth it

DeePa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeePa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 8:58pm
Thanks Delli.

Has anyone found the need to give their baby water when starting solids (BLW)? I have noticed that TK's bowel motions have changed to once every 2 days and the texture has certainly changed (thicker) which i would expect, but just wondering if he maybe gets a bit constipated?

I still BF as per normal. He has had a couple of strange crying sessions where he has cried for 30 minutes straight. Very very out of character. After checking his clothes to make sure nothing is 'biting him', his temperature is OK and that he has a dry nappy the only thing I can think of is his tummy is a bit upset. He also refuses to BF and just grizzles/cries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12