FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA glass of wine breeds better babies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A glass of wine breeds better babies
    Posted: 17 June 2010 at 11:33am
Article

The headline seems a bit crazy to me when the majority of the article disputes it!
Sponsored Links

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2010 at 2:02pm
That's insane, especially when there has been countless studies showing that any alcohol consumption during pregnancy (especially first trimester) can lead to ADD in children - that's not good behavior!

Sorry that's not aimed at you, it's just kind of hilarious. What is really sad is now there will be women who read that and think it will be ok to drink.

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2010 at 10:32pm
My thoughts on this are that people who drink during pregnancy are probably more likely to drink post child. My children are far better behaved once I have had a few drinks so not sure if the perception of milder behaved children is due to the drinking during the pregnancy or the alcohol induced haze of motherhood lol.
tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 5:28pm
Where's their definition of "better behaved"? By "trouble keeping their children under control" do they mean the children of non-drinkers were naturally inquisitive & demonstrated a desire to test the limits of their environment the way a child with a normally functioning brain does? After having first-hand experience of children with both FAS & ARND there is still no way I'd risk any alcohol during pregnancy (or breastfeeding) even if a hundred studies said it's ok!
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 7:00pm
From what I saw (the study leader was interviewed on TV also) - the main emphasis was that although they still recommended no alcohol during pregnancy, the outcome of the study was important for women that had been drinking lightly before they found out they were pregnant.....and the gist was that if you had been drinking in early pregnancy without knowing you were pregnant, that you don't need to beat yourself up over it, as there is evidence that LIGHT drinking in the first 3 months doesn't adversely affect the baby. However, she also said that FAS and other syndromes were well-recognised from continued and heavy drinking during the whole pregnancy, so health guidelines should be adhered to (i.e. no drinking alcohol during pregnancy, assuming you know you are pregnant ).
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by blondy blondy wrote:

From what I saw (the study leader was interviewed on TV also) - the main emphasis was that although they still recommended no alcohol during pregnancy, the outcome of the study was important for women that had been drinking lightly before they found out they were pregnant.....and the gist was that if you had been drinking in early pregnancy without knowing you were pregnant, that you don't need to beat yourself up over it, as there is evidence that LIGHT drinking in the first 3 months doesn't adversely affect the baby. However, she also said that FAS and other syndromes were well-recognised from continued and heavy drinking during the whole pregnancy, so health guidelines should be adhered to (i.e. no drinking alcohol during pregnancy, assuming you know you are pregnant ).

Thank you! I was having this discussion on FB and no one could see that point of view! They are def not saying its acceptable to drink but don't panic if you did before you knew.

Blondy, you come from a research background, if I remember right?

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 7:06pm
yup

ETA: often media (especially newspapers in NZ) blow medical research out of proportion to make it sensationalist, so it's always good to read either the press-releases from the research group itself, or to see the researchers interviewed and hear what they have to say for themselves, as you can't trust what you read in the papers as being the full story....

Edited by blondy
tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 7:37pm
The problem is a lot of people will only see the headlines and skim the first paragraph & then continue drinking, =(.
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 8:01pm
I agree - which is why it's an issue with the media being irresponsible, rather than the research itself.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 5:31pm
All precisely what I said in my original post. Stupid media.
 Post Reply Post Reply