FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHearing Impaired Children

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TansNiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TansNiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearing Impaired Children
    Posted: 17 June 2010 at 10:46pm
Hi there
I have been searching high and low for a forum of other parents with hearing impaired children, but can't seem to find one in New Zealand (plenty overseas, but I would prefer a more local one).

Our 15 month old has recently been diagnosed with Severe to Profound deafness. It was a huge shock to us and she has been recently fitted with hearing aids. That in itself is a challange as being an over-active 15 month old, she just loves yanking them out at every opportunity!

The Docs are giving her 3 months max with the aids and if she is not achieving enough in terms of being able to hear speech, we will be looking at cochlear inplants.

It's still early days with the aids of course and she is having to 'learn' to listen and use her ears as she has never had it before!

I would love to get to know other parents going through a similar thing or have been through a similar thing as it's a pretty daunting road ahead and I am sure we can all use as much support as we can.

RIP Our Wee Liam (9 Feb 2008)
Sponsored Links

MistyMolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MistyMolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2010 at 7:07pm
Hi there
Try this link Parent to Parent

You can contact them and they can provide info/advice/support but also can hopefully put you in contact with other families in NZ.

Your local Special Education Office should have and Advisor for Deaf Children (AODC) who would also be worth contacting for advice and support.

Hope that helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply