FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSettling in at daycare

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Settling in at daycare
    Posted: 07 September 2010 at 9:33am
Hello, this is sort of similar to your recent post Peachy but slightly different and I don't want to thread jack!

I had Gabrielle at in-home care up until recently. For quite some time it was apparent she was getting bored and needed extra stimulation. She is a very bubbly, social, busy and outgoing little girl.

I decided to start her off at daycare and the first week she was there she was loving it - I barely got a kiss goodbye. I made sure I had time to spend with her there settling her in but she just wasn't interested.

From the second week, and we are now in week three, it has been different. I stay with her for 20mins to 30 mins a morning, playing, and talking with her and the other kids. She seems to really enjoy it while I am there but has a complete meltdown when I go to leave. I used to be able to say goodbye to her (she has always been clingy when I drop her anywhere) and she wouldn't like it so much but would still understand. Now it is a full on meltdown.

I ring the teachers as soon as I get to work and hear that she is absolutely fine. She has plenty of friends there already too = even though she is throwing a complete wobbly every morning they seem to like her. She isn't as interested in engaging with them as they are in her - is this something she will get used to? She is 3 next month and is in the preschool room. Should she have started with the toddlers??

My main question is, am I reading too much into this? I am worried that I have not found the right place for her... but maybe this is normal and it would be the same if I moved her. She always talks fondly about school to anyone who will ask... I guess I just wished she was more excited about going to school and it breaks my heart every day dropping her off.
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 10:33am
Daniel did the same thing! He still has the ocassional week where it happens but hes fine within a minute or two of leaving and hes very happy when I arrive
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:20pm
DD did the same thing. The first week was all smiles, hardly any time for me. Then by week 3, she'd scream when I left - it totally sucked. I had a couple of friends who have kids there too (DD doesn't know them though), and I got them to watch after I left and they said she stopped pretty much the second I was out of sight so it was nice for me to hear it from them as well as from her carer.

I'd try not staying so long in the mornings? These days I just drop DD, unload her bags, have a quick chat to her carer and leave. I think it's better for DD just to view it as a place where she plays without me.

I just say bye bye, wave and walk away. It's horrible, but I find it better not to drag it out.
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 4:12pm
I would second what T-Rex says and maybe not stay so long. I have always left fairly quickly (when my little one was younger it was to get her home for a nap) and I find that if I stay too long Amy gets funny when I go.

Also unless you think that there is something wrong with where she is I would say don't move her - it would probably unsettle her more and confuse her.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 9:08pm
I think lots of kids go through that. Jake didn't at his first daycare but we moved him later on and he was fine at first then we had over a year of off and on crying when we left. Usually he only cried til I started walking away then stopped (before I'd left the room). But these days he will have a full on meltdown on the odd day, but most of the time hes fine. He was always happy after I left (sis-in-law worked there for a while) and also when I picked him up.

I would agree about not staying too long. We find if we sit briefly at an activity where other kids are, or with a teacher, then once he seems happy I leave. But we do probably spend more time than alot of parents. If he starts to get anxious, I find it doesn't help to stay longer and I'm better just to get a teacher to take him while I go.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:31am
DH manages DD's ece centre, and when she started going through the same thing, he would ring literally thirty seconds after I left to tell me she was fine and dandy I used to think it was the teachers scripted line when a parent rang, but when I've relieved a couple of times, I've seen kids do it to their parents with my own eyes, makes me feel much better!

Kind of like Nikki said, the best thing seems to be when you've gone through the routines, eg signed them in, helped them put their lunch box away etc, to hand them on to their key teacher to settle them, especially if you know they are okay once you have gone. The child will pick up and feed off your anxieties about leaving too.

DD's ECE centre is next door, and I still cried when it happened to us!
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:18pm
Gabrielle's been going to daycare since she was 5 months old and we still go through periods of time where she's harder to leave. She can be fine about me leaving for weeks and weeks and then for no apparent reason she will get upset for a few days or a week or so.

I also try not to stay too long. I usually set her up with an activity (or try and get her involved with a teacher - like helping them set up something, or talking to them about something) and then I tell her I will be back in the afternoon after she's had her lunch and a nap then quickly exit. Someone told me small children have no concept of time so telling them you will be back in the afternoon is useless - I always try and explain what that means by explaining it will be after she's done such and such (like had lunch, or had a sleep). It seems to make her happier if she knows I am coming back at a specific time.
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 1:44pm
Hey everyone thanks for your replies! It seems the issue has settled!! Phew! She has started taking longer naps there now - probably as the excitement has worn off a bit and now she is absoluetly fine. I was quite worried about it so I really appreciate your answers and advice. Ia m so pleased now though as I can drop her off, say hi to her teachers, have a kiss and cuddle and I am off. She is also engaging more with the other kids which is nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply