FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSeed germination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:07pm

We picked it up 1/2 price at Mitre 10 Mega in June. I love it as it is big enough to have tomatoes in pots growing in there. I am going to use it over the winter to grow veges in it (well going to give it a go).

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:07pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but someone I was talking to today recommended popping seeds (in their seedling mix) into the hot water cupboard until they germinate.  Same concept as the newspaper I guess.  So I have transferred mine from the dining table to the hot water cupboard to see what they do.  Probably timely given that it is freezing here today!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:00pm

For those that are looking at getting a greenhouse, I saw today that Bunnings have some on sale this week ($99) for a 2 shelf walk in one I think.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 9:20am

Woohoo! My corn seeds have finally germinated! This is the 2nd lot and thought I'd have to buty seedlings as was taking so long. Now just have to keep them alive long enough to get them into the garden, lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 4:38pm

My corn has finally come through as well. I ended up putting it straight into the ground where I wanted to grow it. I need to thin them as in places I have more than 2 plants.

As we put our compost into the garden I have random plants growing in the garden - have no idea what they are I am just going to let them grow.

Gardengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 11:32am
Hi,

I've got a batch of Roma tomatoes that already have their first set of true leaves. A few of them looked as though they had succumbed to damping off disease, where they seemed to just keel over for no reason. You could actually see a weak area at the base of the stem. However, now the days are warmer I am putting my seedlings out in a sheltered spot during the day and bringing them in at night, and the handful of tomatoes that had keeled over have managed to stand up again and are doing almost as well as the rest.

So....if you do get some with damping off, keep at them, just in case they come right.

Also, I have finally had 5 of my 6 capsicum germinate after nearly 6 weeks of waiting. I had aaaalmost given up on them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 12:21pm

My roma tomato plants have been a bit the same - I thought I was going to lose a couple but they seemed to have pulled themselves together!  The wind here isn't helping at the moment though - we've had a couple of really gusty days.

I've had 3 beans germinate (out of 6) and about 4 of the peppers look like they will as well.  I might try some corn since a couple of you have had success.  I've always just assumed they would fall in to the too hard basket but given the price of seeds and seedlings I'm starting to think it's worth giving most things a go.

Gardengirl my peppers have taken quite a while too.  I've had them in the hot water cupboard in the last week and I'm thinking that is working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 12:28pm
The Norwester has just picked up here so I'm thinking I'll bring them back in - it's sheltered where they are but not that sheltered. I've already had a young honeysuckle stripped bare from windburn :-(
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 2:00pm
Just a quick tip for seedlings. After reading the tip about the mister I thought about getting another 5L sprayer that you use for weedkiller and worm tea and stuff. Got mine from Mitre10 for like $14 and I know you get them at the warehouse too. I think they are for $10 this week.

I have a huge amount of seedlings going (after buying 50 of the 6 punnet trays of another website and a few other things that I thought would last me a while and I managed to fill them all in one week with stuff growing ready to go out to the garden.)

It works really great to spray them and not to hurt seedlings and I use it on my tamato plants to get the water closer to the ground and not on leaves and things.

So just a tip for the ones that have more than a few seedlings going at one time.

sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 12:50pm
Just a quick notes some seeds need to have sunlight to germinate that is don't cover them these are generally the very small seed. The instructions on the back of the packet should say if you cover them or if not you can find tables that show this on the net try egmont seeds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:39am
Happymumma, how are your capsicums doing? Mine have now been on the go for a good 2 months and are only just now starting to grow their first set of true leaves.

I still haven't planted out my cucumbers as I wanted to wait till the cold front we've just had had gone through. I put 5 of my tomatoes in the ground but covered them at night with bottle cloches.
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:02am
I know this probably wont work for everyone but I just put my seedling trays out in our courtyard in a good spot to catch the morning/midday sun and they've gone mental.
My tomato seedlings are taking their time but everything else is doing beautifully.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:38am
Ideally you should let your seedlings spend time outside before planting to harden them off. I started off by putting mine out just during the day on warmer days, building them up to being out 24hrs and then planting them. It's less of a shock to them then when they do go in the ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 6:01pm

My capsicums are pretty slow so far Gardengirl...still absolutely tiny.  I think things are just starting to take off here so I'm hoping they get the idea!! 

My cucumber is outside and looking good and a couple of my roma tomatoes are now looking like I have't killed them so not sure whether they were just a bit shocked at being put outside to fend for themselves!  I hadn't realised that about seedlings benefitting from being outside a bit before being planted.  I've done it with a few things but only because it was a nice day and it seemed like a good idea.

I'm getting impatient now.  I'm using lettuce and spinach from the garden but can't wait to have a few more things to eat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 7:21pm
So mine aren't the only slow ones then :-)

I've planted the cucumbers now, well, 4 of them, against a fence that I have some sheep netting nailed to for them to climb up. They are growing in pretty much just mature, rotted sheep poo, so hopefully they will like that. Have planted 3 of my zuchinnis today too.

Have runner beans in for about 2 weeks now and only 1 has germinated well, a second one has come up but looks sickly and the remaining 8 are still hiding. Not sure whether to start off some others in pots to transfer.

Have 5 pumpkin plants still to plant and a whole lot of cherry tomatoes and basils. DH is in the process of properly fencing off our whole vege area so once that's done I will put them in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12