FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Luxury’ baby stuff worth the price tag?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 10:04am

I can't think of anything that would come under that "luxury" catergory that I had with my kids (bearing in mind it has been almost 4 years since I had a newborn).

Althou my mum said something the things I had were luxury to her when she had me.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 2:55pm
Silly Billyz snuggleguard bibs. I thought $10 per bib was ridiculous (considering I have about 30 bibs in circulation at any one time), but someone gave me one, and now I have a fair few. They are awesome!

Also, my manduca and before that, my wrap. My pram on the other hand, a complete waste of money!
babybrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:16pm
I use my Mountain Buggy (bought new) everyday and love it.. its so light and easy to maneuver...
and my baby Bjorn front pack- bought off TM.. use it everyday.
rented a natures seing hammock and she really doesnt like it much! stays in it for 5-10mins then screams.. even if i bounce it for ages.. and she seems to get really hot in it?!! and its hard to get her out of.
I have been looking at a FP rainforest swing- but they are about $400 new?!! what the?!! unreal! so still haven tbought one as few on TM.
I like looking at the pics of Treslie cooper clothes etc.. but would never buy them .. I just htink its crazy to buy expensive clothes for babies and kids. You can find second hand things on trade me. The only "expensive" items i have bought (and second hand from TM) have been merino sleep gowns- I wouldnt go wihtout them- they are fantastic. Merino is perfect for winter.. but wouldnt pay full retail. Even in farmers some tops etc are $100?!! Thats just insane!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:35pm
We got a quinny buzz pram with the bassinet, capsule and big pram attachment and while it was expensive it has been great.

We have a few outfits from places like nature baby, dimples etc and they do keep their shape and still look like new. I wouldnt buy all DS's clothing from there but a few bits and pieces are OK

Carseat - im thinking of getting a radian which is pretty expensive, but I would rather spend the extra $$ on safety so I dont really class that as luxury.

BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 3:20pm
Two things. P&T Vibe stroller wanted the dash but left it too late and they were sold out and DP like Vibe better anyway so went with it. So expensive but worth it. Use it everyday and it's great easy to manover and we feel very trendy walking it down the road. Aurora loves it too.

But best buy was a beautiful sheep skin that Rory plays on all day. It on floor with a light blanket on it and she kicks away on it, tummy time, rolls, drolls and even naps on it. So comfy and warm for floor time. NZ made too.
Flossie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flossie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 6:45pm

Mountain Buggy would have to be our most expensive baby item but we really love it as easy to manover and great on any type of terrain (grass, gravel etc) I think we have already got our moneys worth as we do alot of walking and DD just loves it (most of the time!). We also spent money on our cot (was actually gifted to us) I still love going in and looking at the cot (how weird am I?) but I just love how it looks!

I wanted to spend money on cot and buggy as they will do all our children and I wanted good quality items. Plus when your both working its not that big a deal as compared to being on one income! Rest of the stuff I never pay full price for or is gifted or handed down!

pencils View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pencils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 8:24pm
Hmmm...this is an interesting one. I believe you get what you pay for.

I had a baby nearly 8 weeks ago and so far....

1) Mountain Buggy. Bought it second-hand off TradeMe. Also bought the carrycot that fits it. It's been awesome. Baby sleeps in carrycot and I'm out walking three or four times a week with buggy so MB definitely worth it.

2) Nauture's Sway hammock. Again it was second-hand but my baby loved it. It was great for settling her.

3) Nature Baby organic cotton nightie. This was lent to me by a friend but my baby looks so cute and comfortable it in.

4) I bought a Safe-T-sleep thing but after the bad press it was given lately, i'm not sure that I'll use it. It cost me around $100.
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 9:01pm
Oh oh oh..Awesome thread!!

I buy 'luxury' items 2nd hand
My MB love love love it $110 TM
Moby was new $75 but I totally got my moneys worth plus some. Ring sling same story, BUT i got a meitai then a manduca days later so have hardly used the meitai coz I LOOOOOOOVE my manduca.

GOGO bags $20ea (I have 4) TM but DS hates them so very glad I didn't splash out.
I bought a Hammock off TM for $180 total freakin waste of money he hated it however a friend is gettin great use outta it

Most of DSs clothes are from TWH, PP, JK or farmers
And TM etc.
He has ONE nature baby item
4 Mokopuna items (x3 are second hand and 1 no longer fits)

The most moolah I spend on one particular thing is nappies. Have prob spent upwards of $400.
I got IttiBittis 2nd hand and they didn't work out for us so sold them on.

Can you tell I trademe.
So I guess yeah - some things really are worth the extra money..
I just take advantage of the 2nd half of things lives heh.

Oh things I've bought new (usually on sale) are highchair, P&T metoo, carseat & capsule
Oh and I got a looovely sheepskin from briscoes on 60% off when I was about 17wks pregnant
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 9:36pm
2 more things to add to my luxuries list,

1x Leo Green 5.2m Storchenwiege - $180 inc postage! My best buy ever! I love it for long walks because it's so comfy! I did look for 2nd hand but couldn't find one!

1x Baby Hawk Mei Tai, I couldn't decide between the 3 different types of Mei Tai I knew of so got the middle one $135 inc postage (others were $80 and $180) - Love it for back carrying but it's sort of a waste of money... I love my storchenwiege too much!
snooze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 8:18am
My only luxury item was DS's Recaro Sport carseat.   Safety is the only thing that I feel inclined to splash out on.

DS's Maclrean pram & stroller were both off TM. Cheap as chips, and I am very happy with both.

I have got 2x gogo bags but both off TM again.

His cot was pretty cheap but I bought a good mattress.

Edited by snooze
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 8:46am
P&T Dash and Moby... cant live without them!

Next will be a ergo/manduca type carrier

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2010 at 2:49pm
Our P&T was the only real luxury thing I think we bought and we love it. DD has a couple of bits of expensive clothes from family friends which certainly look nice but she pukes on them just the same as the T&Tstuff.

I'm also always amazed with the stuff advertised in Oh baby magazine, certainly not the shops that I go to
RicKer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicKer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 9:43am
Our mountain buggy was brought new (thanks nana!) and i love it!

Our radian carseat. I find it absolutely brilliant and it was worth every cent (i brought it for $350)

Our mei tai. DD decided she didn't like the moby anymore but she loves the mei tai.

Gogo bags. DD hates blankets so i found these a life saver!

There are a few things that weren't worth the money (for us). DD hated her kicking coaster that mum brought her and never went in it. We brought her a swing and it was a lifesaver for about a month and hasn't been used since so is stored in the garage for baby #2.

Edited by RicKer
babylove View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babylove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 4:59pm
Im also one who would buy something of trademe rather than buy it new. with each child i had something different as a lux item as money circumstances changed with each one.

with our 1st we had very little money dh was on min wage which was under $10 back then and i was just out of school. out lux item was the new carseat that we managed to buy and change table that MIL bought us, everything else was hand me downs.

with our 2nd dh had a new job and almost twice the $$. my lux item with him was feeding pillow, brand new cot(1st had been in a portacot).

with our 3rd we ttc for a while so money was saved for a while for when i was preg, but since we had all the big items my lux items were his clothes and nursery set. but the item i loved was his MP3 player(playskool).

with our 4th we were in our own home, we had all the big items and the money, so we got to buy those items that i couldnt with the others
we did get a hammock which i had wanted to get with all of them but turns out it didnt get much use and i sold it by the time he was 8wks.
ds4 got nice merino, bobux clothing, shoes etc. which were worth it as i hate putting so many layers on my babies.
I bought sleeping bags but not gogo bags(way to expensive) I just bought them at farmers and baby city when 50% off. i bought a merino bag but he would sweat like crazy in it even if he just wore a bodysuit under it.
snoop267880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoop267880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2021 at 3:02am
Recently came across this luxury baby brand called Archers Bow. They have premium cashmere clothes' and I can definitely say it was worth every penny. Very good quality. https://www.archers-bow.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12